SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
Partymmudasti
Advanced Member
Partymmudasti is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default 05 L300 ... 2 issues

Our 2005 L300 has been less than stellar in the reliability department. We bought it new, you can look at my profile and find all my threads/posts on it. Anyways we have had problems with our steering intermediate shaft or whatever its called on our previous 2000 LS2 and now our 2005 L300. The dealer replaced the shaft once under warranty, another time they said they greased the boot. Well, now at 46,000 miles its giving a lot of feedback (noises and thumping when the wheel is turned, etc).

Also the oil has been changed at the dealership (we bought the maintenance program for 5 years/60k miles) but the last oil change I did myself and used full synthetic. I only gave it 3000 miles before I changed it, which was tonite and for full synthetic pretty premature IMO, and I was very shocked to find a whole bunch of, what can be best described as "crud" in the oil filter cover. It was not like sludge, but more gritty. I was very very shocked, but also happy that it was in the oil filter cover, and didnt get distributed through the engine. A quick look into the valve cover shows a nice clean engine still.

Anyways, if there was a permanent fix to the steering issue, the intermediate shaft or lube? And whats up with the crud in the oil filter container?? Can I assume the synthetic oil cleaned out the engine and the crud was the result? Im stumped here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Partymmudasti's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Partymmudasti reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Partymmudasti is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
canadiens
canadiens is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 05 L300 ... 2 issues

yes just re lube the shaft, i have done it on my 01 L200 and that was about 9 months ago, so far it's perfect.. I can't complain for a $2.00 fix when the dealer wanted to replace the rack for $1100...lol..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to canadiens's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help canadiens reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
canadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:57 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you degreased the oil filter cover, body, and area around it, the next time you change the oil you'll either see evidence of a leak or hopefully nothing. More oil on the outside may be from anywhere so cleaning the area will help. It may be from the oil filter body that may be loose; forcefully turn it with your hands and if it rotates then the body is loose and may be leaking oil from its base. Remove the oil filter cap and filter, then look inside (with a mechanics mirror) and size up the bolt in the rear of the filter housing for tightening the filter body a little more snug. You may have found out how loosely this body rotates if the filter cap is overtightened.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
Partymmudasti
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If you degreased the oil filter cover, body, and area around it, the next time you change the oil you'll either see evidence of a leak or hopefully nothing. More oil on the outside may be from anywhere so cleaning the area will help. It may be from the oil filter body that may be loose; forcefully turn it with your hands and if it rotates then the body is loose and may be leaking oil from its base. Remove the oil filter cap and filter, then look inside (with a mechanics mirror) and size up the bolt in the rear of the filter housing for tightening the filter body a little more snug. You may have found out how loosely this body rotates if the filter cap is overtightened.
You realize I was talking about the inside of the oil filter cover, right? There are no external leaks at this time (Geessh! dont jinx me!)

Im talking about grit inside my engine and inside the oil filter canister not on the outside.

Just wanted to clarify

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Partymmudasti reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Crud was probably just the syn cleaning out the engine.

Just relube the intermediate shaft yourself. I change oil (Mobil 1) every 5 K miles and change all the air filters and lube the intermediate shaft every other oil change.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partymmudasti View Post
Im talking about grit inside my engine and inside the oil filter canister not on the outside.
DOH! I thought you were complaining about leakage but........ never mind. Not to scare you but with crud on the inside............. was the oil actually changed or was it another case of oversight and you didn't check the oil color after the change (by the dealer) and see clean oil? Just putting it out there for thought since some Saturn dealers seem to lean towards the unscrupulous. This is analogous to some Jiffy Lube places that have stripped oil plugs. I've changed my oil at long intervals and never found crud, grit, etc. from any oil filter but this is the first car (for me) that requires replacing only the filter element, whether using regular or synthetic oil.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
Partymmudasti
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
DOH! I thought you were complaining about leakage but........ never mind. Not to scare you but with crud on the inside............. was the oil actually changed or was it another case of oversight and you didn't check the oil color after the change (by the dealer) and see clean oil? Just putting it out there for thought since some Saturn dealers seem to lean towards the unscrupulous. This is analogous to some Jiffy Lube places that have stripped oil plugs. I've changed my oil at long intervals and never found crud, grit, etc. from any oil filter but this is the first car (for me) that requires replacing only the filter element, whether using regular or synthetic oil.
Yeah, when the oil cooler was fixed, at the same time they changed the oil and this would have been the 3rd oil change since. There is no change in coolant level at all. I check the oil every time after its changed by the dealerto make sure its clean and at the right level (again ive always changed my own oil and bringing the car in is KILLING me hence why I stopped bringing it in although we have 13,000 miles left of "free" oil changes with Saturn w/this maintenace package-I'd rather do it myself and know its done right). Once it was a quart and a half over filled by the dealer!

Ive never seen grit inside the oil filter canister like that before. And Ive been changing the oil in the 3.0L engine since 2000 (on our old LS2 and Mom' s '03 VUE). And ive used all types of oils in all the cars ranging from Quaker State to Mobil 1 to SuperTech. Plus my Mom's Vue is driven until the OLM indicates an oil change and even then, I never noticed grit on the inside of the oil filter cover....

Last edited by Partymmudasti; 04-01-2008 at 02:23 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I see, what may help your fears would be to note the last oil filter change mileage, the average mileage between filter changes; divide the average mileage between changes by two and replace the oil filter in half the mileage, leaving the oil in and replenishing what was emptied from the oil filter change. This way you can see if there's any more stuff that the filter is removing and feel that the filter changes can help. At the next abbreviated filter change (if you feel this may help) you can decide on whether or not to alter the filter change intervals. I bought quite a few oil filters (I can't remember from where online) and cabin filters awhile back to take advantage of the prices and if you're keeping the car for the long haul it may help keep costs down. Could it be that the filter was conveniently forgotten by the dealer since you can't see it unless you removed the filter cap...................................

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #9
Cincy Saturn
Cincy Saturn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3nfo View Post
lube the intermediate shaft every other oil change.
Details.... Photo of the "intermediate shaft locations and type of lube ?

gawd i sound like a pervert...

The dipstick for the 710 fluid says "ADD"...Where do you buy 710 fluid ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cincy Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cincy Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cincy Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #10
Partymmudasti
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Yes, please give some instructions and details on lubing the shaft (tee hee). Now I feel dirty

Seriously though, is this the rubber boot under where the steering shaft meets the firewall? What exactly am I greasing here???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:36 PM   #11
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

The worst feature of the uncased filter is the temptation for service facilities to omit its replacement at an oil change service. The only way to be sure is to do it yourself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #12
Partymmudasti
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Maybe I wasnt clear on that either...lol..

I changed the oil for the past 2 oil changes now. There wasnt any crud the first time, the second time there was.

So basically this has nothing to do with the dealer. Ive been changing the oil, now for the 2nd time. It went a little under 3,000 miles between the oil change with Super Tech (wal mart) full synthetic 5w-30 and a Ac-Delco cartridge oil filter (might have been Saturn brand, either way I bought it at my local Murrays).

The first time I changed it (first time out of 2 times now) there was no crud.

The second time I changed it, there was crud. I changed the oil and oil filter BOTH times (of course!)

Both times Ive used full synthetic 5w-30. First oil change I did, I used Supertech (walmart brand made by Warren oil). Then I found the crud. Second oil change I used Valvoline Full synthetic 5w-30.

There is no loss of coolant, the oil cooler was replaced somewhere around 10,000 miles ago.

Last edited by Partymmudasti; 04-03-2008 at 02:04 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!