SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
Natedogg
Natedogg is on a distinguished road

Default Plug wire problem

For those with Relays/SV6s/Uplanders/Terrazas I have found an issue with the plug wires that come across the top of the engine and go to cylinders 2/4/ and 6.

The wires come across the top of the engine, cross over a coolant pipe with a welded bracket on it. #2 and 4 rest right on the welds which causes them to rub and arc. If you pull the wires up you will see the burning marks on them.

This would be a good reason for the slight misfire I have complained about and the poor gas mileage that the dealer deemed "no problem found." I have ordered a new set of Bosch wires and I will also be replacing the plugs and going with a .052" gap instead of the recommended .060" gap.

The only way to fix this would be to replace the wires and cover the #2,4, and 6 wires with split loom since they also rub on the top of the intake manifold. I will also try to rework the bracket so they don't rub at all.

Just some info I figured I'd share. GM's engineering on this vehicle has been piss poor at best. I have had to buy aftermarket parts and re-engineer so many things to make it how it was supposed to be, and so far it's working. It's a much more enjoyable vehicle to drive now. The latest thing to be replaced is the sway bar links. The stocks started rattling at 38,000 miles, and at 41,000 I replaced them with Napa sway bar links. The Napa links have joints that are more than twice the size and the shaft is twice as big in diameter. It made a huge difference in how it handles.

Nate

95' SL2 Turbo
2001 Lexus IS300 with light mods
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6 - Fixing it myself this time!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Natedogg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Natedogg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Natedogg
Natedogg is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Plug wire problem

This weekend, the plug wires got so bad that my mileage on the highway is down to 15 and it felt like I was towing an extra 5000 lbs. I had to take the wires out of the loom and let them hang away from each other. The #2 wire now has a burn mark from arcing about 1" long half way around the wire.

I had to cancel my order for the Bosch wires and go with the Napa Belden wires. I will be picking them up tomorrow. Parts America was playing games with me on delivery times and I wasn't waiting any more.

Nate

95' SL2 Turbo
2001 Lexus IS300 with light mods
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6 - Fixing it myself this time!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Natedogg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Natedogg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote