SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2007, 01:20 AM   #1
nmoyer23
nmoyer23 is on a distinguished road

Default my brakes feel like butter...

i have a 99 sc1 with abs brakes and it takes about two to three inches of me pushing my foot on the brake for the brakes to actually give. is this normal? plus, they're not strong at all. the front pads and rotors are fine, but i need to tighten my rear drums. would having loose drums cause this problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nmoyer23's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nmoyer23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nmoyer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2007, 01:40 AM   #2
oseberg
oseberg is on a distinguished road

Default Re: my brakes feel like butter...

Have you checked your brake fluid? It's probably low, and now you probably need to bleed your brakes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oseberg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oseberg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oseberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:41 AM   #3
nmoyer23

actually i bought the car just recently with 120,000 miles on it and i put on about 4,000 miles and ever since i bought it the brakes have been like this... do you think by adding more brake fluid this would help and am i in serious trouble in terms of money

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nmoyer23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2007, 01:45 AM   #4
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Happy Re: my brakes feel like butter...

adding brake fluid is like 5 bux max.... like ^^^^^ said, you probability have air in the lines, what is causing you to have spongeIE brakes.

Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1994Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1994Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:56 AM   #5
nmoyer23

how do you remove air in the lines?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2007, 03:03 AM   #6
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

You have to bleed each brake. im sure there is a how-to with more detailed info, but in a nut shell, each caliper has a screw that when loosened will let air out of the line as the pedal is being pushed. then you tighten it up and there is no more air in the line. you would do this a few times to be sure as much of the air is out. think of it as getting all the air out of a plastic baggy

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #7
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmoyer23 View Post
but i need to tighten my rear drums. would having loose drums cause this problem?

Adjust the drum brakes first.

If this does not improve things then start trying other things. The brake system will not start working until the rear shoes are out and cause a pressure build. Until the shoes push against something the pedal movement is being used to push the shoes out.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:57 PM   #8
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oseberg View Post
Have you checked your brake fluid? It's probably low, and now you probably need to bleed your brakes.
Please, if you don't know the answer, don't give one. The proper thing to do of course is to first clean and adjust the rear brakes. This is the number one problem of a low or spongy brake pedal on an S-Series car. The rear brakes (drum) should be adjusted every time the front pads are replaced. If you aren't doing it, you're neglecting a very simple, quick and easy bit of preventive maintenance. The only time it is necessary to bleed the brakes is if the system has been opened due to a component being replaced. If the fluid was low enough in the reservoir to warrant being bled, the red BRAKE light would be lit up like a Christmas tree. Needless brake bleeding more often than not is going to create problems, not solve them.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:06 AM   #9
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
Please, if you don't know the answer, don't give one.
Honestly i would take every suggestion regardless whether its right or wrong. The more information you have, the better analysis you can do on defining the problem

OP: after you check out ur rear breaks, might want to check out ur struts also. i just changed mine, and my breaks are alot tighter. just a thought

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:17 AM   #10
oseberg
oseberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The rear brakes (drum) should be adjusted every time the front pads are replaced.
Really? I've never adjusted mine, and I've replaced my front pads. No sponginess at all in my brakes.

If your rear brakes don't self adjust when you use the parking brakes, then there's something wrong with how they've been put together or something is malfunctioning in your rear brakes and should be repaired.

The most common cause of sponginess on any car with hydraulic brakes is air in the lines. Usually caused by allowing the brake fluid to get too low. Which in turn is usually caused by a leaky slave cylinder in one of the tires.

Bleeding the brakes is a 5 minute job with the help of a buddy to press the brakes for you while you turn the nipple. The best way to do it is with a tube that fits the nipple, a box wrench, and a can to catch the fluid. You open the nipple a little, then tell your assistant to press the brakes, then you tighten the nipple then ask your assistant to stop pressing the brakes. You do this several times at each tire and the problem will be solved and your slave cylinders should be filled with fresh clean brake fluid.

If your rear brake pads are not adjusted properly you need to be a little smarter to figure out why they're not self adjusting properly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oseberg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oseberg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oseberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:35 AM   #11
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
If your rear brakes don't self adjust when you use the parking brakes, then there's something wrong with how they've been put together or something is malfunctioning in your rear brakes and should be repaired.
Rear brakes, on a good day, are adjusted when you apply the hydraulic brakes in reverse. The parking brake is cable operated and has NO impact on the hydraulics, or on the adjuster between the shoes. That said, the reverse self-adjusters can't be trusted, and haven't been in decades.

Quote:
The most common cause of sponginess on any car with hydraulic brakes is air in the lines. Usually caused by allowing the brake fluid to get too low. Which in turn is usually caused by a leaky slave cylinder in one of the tires.
Which is the REAL problem. Bleeding the brakes, and/or adding brake fluid, are palliatives that mask a problem. With normal operation of a hydraulic braking system, with physical wear of the pads and shoes and their subsequent replacement, and periodic adjustment of the rears, there should NEVER be air introduced into the hydraulics. Air in the hydraulics is a symptom of a more serious problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:13 AM   #12
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
OP: after you check out ur rear breaks, might want to check out ur struts also. i just changed mine, and my breaks are alot tighter. just a thought
B-R-A-K-E-S

Struts have absolutely zero affect on the tightness of your brakes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-21-2007, 08:21 AM   #13
Squareback

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
If your rear brake pads are not adjusted properly you need to be a little smarter to figure out why they're not self adjusting properly.
You've already had two different factory Certified Saturn Techs tell you the rear brakes need periodic adjusting. Why do you keep fighting about this? Just because you neglet your vehicle doesn't mean you should start spreading the word to others to neglect theirs.

Quote:

This statement about the most common cause being air in the lines is without a doubt FALSE. There should never be air in hydraulic braking systems, ever. A blown out wheel cylinder is going to cause there to be no brakes whatsoever, and obviously require repair. This as I have said is the only time bleeding should be necessary. Again, if you don't know the answer, please don't give one, you're only confusing people who are actually here to learn something about their cars. You on the other hand want to argue about systems you clearly know nothing about and your "my way is the only way" attitude gets a little boring.

Rear drum braks need to be periodically cleaned and adjusted. The self adjusting system doesn't do a good enough job to rely on it working without any maintenance at all. It's a simple 20 minute operation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2007, 08:22 AM   #14
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

After driving my other car with "instant brakes" I don't like my SC1's brakes at all. Takes too much travel for the brakes to engage, but from what I've read thats what the engineers wanted.

How do you have tight break's? Long or short maybe...but tight? Unless....nope not going there.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:58 AM   #15
Tercero
Tercero is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Quote:
Please, if you don't know the answer, don't give one. The proper thing to do of course is to first clean and adjust the rear brakes. This is the number one problem of a low or spongy brake pedal on an S-Series car. The rear brakes (drum) should be adjusted every time the front pads are replaced. If you aren't doing it, you're neglecting a very simple, quick and easy bit of preventive maintenance. The only time it is necessary to bleed the brakes is if the system has been opened due to a component being replaced. If the fluid was low enough in the reservoir to warrant being bled, the red BRAKE light would be lit up like a Christmas tree. Needless brake bleeding more often than not is going to create problems, not solve them.
My car sat for close to a year in the driveway, and I've just got it back on the road last week. I find the brakes very "mushy" also. There's lot's of pad on both front brakes, and I cleaned the rotors of any residual rust. How do I service the rear brakes? Can you give an abbreviated how to? Thanks.

J.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tercero's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tercero reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tercero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:37 AM   #16
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

I had this problem recently on my 95 SL2. I found that the pads on the front had plenty of wear left but the caliper guide pins were sticking not allowing the caliper to freely slide. I went ahead and bought new pads, had the rotors turned and cleaned and greased the guide pins. Problem solved.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #17
Tercero
Tercero is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeagle1 View Post
I had this problem recently on my 95 SL2. I found that the pads on the front had plenty of wear left but the caliper guide pins were sticking not allowing the caliper to freely slide. I went ahead and bought new pads, had the rotors turned and cleaned and greased the guide pins. Problem solved.
Hmm. So, I need to service the sliders? I always appreciated Wolfmans pictures and how to's. He was the main reason I managed to actually change the engine cradle by myself. I'm no mechanic, and would never have tackled something like that without seeing it done first. I'd just like a brief explanation how to service the back brakes. My Chiltons is turning out to be the suck when I need more info on things like changing brakes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tercero's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tercero reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tercero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #18
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

BTW, the brakes in Fabio's SC2 feel like I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.

(sorry....)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:00 PM   #19
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tercero View Post
Hmm. So, I need to service the sliders? I always appreciated Wolfmans pictures and how to's. He was the main reason I managed to actually change the engine cradle by myself. I'm no mechanic, and would never have tackled something like that without seeing it done first. I'd just like a brief explanation how to service the back brakes. My Chiltons is turning out to be the suck when I need more info on things like changing brakes.
Sorry, I don't have pictures. The are 2 13mm bolts that attach the brake caliper to a bracket that is mounted to the knuckle. They are about 4 inches long and are cylindrical on the end. Be careful as they might be rusted in place. Once you get them out, clean them up with brakeclean or some other type of solvent. If they are really rusted and pitted, I would replace them. Apply a liberal coat of grease along the cylindrical part of the bolt and reinstall.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote