SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2007, 11:34 AM   #1
TrainerL200
TrainerL200 is on a distinguished road

Default Supercharge?

OK guys...after being in Baghdad, IRAQ for a year I'm looking to unwind abit when I come home the third week of SEPT. I'm look to do the project thing with my 2002 L200 with a 2.2 and was wondering if anyone managed to put a supercharger on their car or have any ideas. I'm not looking to turbo. I see alot of kits out there for cavs and sunbirds...but none for us. Any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TrainerL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TrainerL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TrainerL200 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Supercharge?

I was always wondering if an engine from a wrecked Ion Rl would fit in there...

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
Fastwrx
Fastwrx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainerL200 View Post
OK guys...after being in Baghdad, IRAQ for a year I'm looking to unwind abit when I come home the third week of SEPT. I'm look to do the project thing with my 2002 L200 with a 2.2 and was wondering if anyone managed to put a supercharger on their car or have any ideas. I'm not looking to turbo. I see alot of kits out there for cavs and sunbirds...but none for us. Any ideas?
Dont try it!!!! Although they look the same, the engines are different in internal ways. ( Redline 2.0 and 2.2 ) The redline motor has a lower compression ratio, forged pistons, and oil shooter nozzles pointed at the piston skirts for increased oiling. These are just a few choice things different in just the bottom end......The 2.2 doesnt have anything to safeguard against boost meltdown, and dont even get me started on the electrics and engine management!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fastwrx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fastwrx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fastwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
tomlct
tomlct has a spectacular aura abouttomlct has a spectacular aura about

Just a suggestion here - way back, when I had an Opel, there was a mail-order house called Mantapart. They went on to specialize in GM engine upgrades in general, including Ecotec. This site has some hits on "Mantapart" in the Ion forums, but here is one from our L-series forum (a few years ago), that mentions some of the go-fast vendors for the Ecotec - hope it helps.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ight=mantapart

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tomlct's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tomlct reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tomlct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:59 AM   #5
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastwrx View Post
Dont try it!!!! Although they look the same, the engines are different in internal ways. ( Redline 2.0 and 2.2 ) The redline motor has a lower compression ratio, forged pistons, and oil shooter nozzles pointed at the piston skirts for increased oiling. These are just a few choice things different in just the bottom end......The 2.2 doesnt have anything to safeguard against boost meltdown, and dont even get me started on the electrics and engine management!
Just gotta love the naysayers!!!

In actuality the stock 2.2 will take moderate levels of boost, don't recall who, but we've got at least one guy on the board who's boosted a 2.2 to 10 PSI with no problems and he says he's still using the stock injectors, ECU and fuel map. I'm thinking you're looking for a blower in the Eaton M45 class, keep it moderate and it should be a fun project.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:09 AM   #6
Robman
Advanced Member
Robman will become famous soon enoughRobman will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I don't have stock injectors anymore. I took ones off a 2002 Impala with the 3.8L. same fuel map for the car though. I'm redoing the downpipe today!!

Rob
2001 Turbo L200
1997 F150 XLT
1985 Range Rover Classic
1999 Yamaha Blaster YFS200

Do It Yourself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
TrainerL200

I want to thank ya'll on the support. I can't even begin to tell you how good it is to get back on the boards! Robman...did you have to make any changes to you electronics with your turbo? I'm thinkin' Supercharger in mine...I'm wondering what changes there would have to be? that eaton sounds liek a great idea. Most of these mods will occur when I get to Ft Bragg. Any and all ideas will be entertained...so please be free with your knowledge. Manta has always been a good source for my ideas...now...how about Transmission. I'm seeing that the stock should take alittle punishment if I'm correct...or do ya;ll have a line on mods? Let me know! Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TrainerL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-01-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
Robman
Advanced Member

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I didn't really change that much. just the exhaust, fuel and intake.

DOWNPIPE!

Hood Strut. NO MORE PROP ROD! These are things you too can do!

Rob
2001 Turbo L200
1997 F150 XLT
1985 Range Rover Classic

Do It Yourself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Robman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2007, 09:45 PM   #9
TrainerL200

Ok guys...stupid questions. Since it seems saturn has a non changable flash on their ecu and fuel map...could you just switch from say a cavalier or sunbird? they seem to share quite abit of the same components. Please be patient...I'm sorta new to the swapping out stuff. I do have a plan in mind, but I want to do this right. Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #10
Robman
Advanced Member

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

www.hptuners.com don't be so hard on yourself.

Rob
2001 Turbo L200
1997 F150 XLT
1985 Range Rover Classic

Do It Yourself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-04-2007, 09:26 AM   #11
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainerL200 View Post
Ok guys...stupid questions. Since it seems saturn has a non changable flash on their ecu and fuel map...could you just switch from say a cavalier or sunbird? they seem to share quite abit of the same components. Please be patient...I'm sorta new to the swapping out stuff. I do have a plan in mind, but I want to do this right. Mike
Well, there's a couple ways to do it. You can find an ECU that might work, but there's way too many "ghosts in the machine" if you do it that way. You'd have to have a pretty good idea that the donor ECU had pretty much the same parameters as the L200 except for the blower fuel map. Who knows what other systems the donor ECU parameters might affect.
The best way (and unfortunately, the most expensive) is to get a programmer (about a kilo buck) and tweak the fuel map yourself. Yes, the L200 flash is not swappable (easily chip changable), but it can be read and re-flashed.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2007, 12:34 PM   #12
Robman
Advanced Member

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

that link I posted is the scanner that you would use...

Rob
2001 Turbo L200
1997 F150 XLT
1985 Range Rover Classic

Do It Yourself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #13
TrainerL200

Devil Re: Supercharge?

I've been to the HPTuners sight...awesome info all...thanks! But...BIG BUTT there too...alomst sounds like you have to screw around alot with the settings? Or do they come with settings pre-entered according to different applications that HPTuners thinks you'll use? The mechanics I can deal with...the computer stuff on cars...WHOA...outta my league! And honestly...being in Baghdad has not lent to reading alot of tuning these things! But...9 more days and we go wheels up for our first leg home. Please leave your suggestions and when I do them...ya'll will be th first to see and reap the rewards of my experimentation! OH...I'm gonna get that body kit from England too! Hey...what can I say...they paid me well over here! LOL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #14
DragzSatrun
DragzSatrun is on a distinguished road

I didnt think that you could put a turbo or supercharger on the L200 or L300. So how would you get this thing tuned properly?

Saturn is the new Honda.

Bill
2002 L300 V6 - L81 Saab Motor - Automatic - Custom Borla Exhuast
Black and Chrome

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DragzSatrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DragzSatrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DragzSatrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #15
TrainerL200

You can Turbo or Supercharge most anything if you have the dollars to accommodate. I'm doing the cost analysis now and it's a wake up call ...so we'll see! Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #16
s3nfo

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragzSatrun View Post
I didnt think that you could put a turbo or supercharger on the L200 or L300. So how would you get this thing tuned properly?
See post #10
You can boost anything if you're willing to do the engineering.......and today that means doing the computer code too.

Jerry N

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2007, 05:40 PM   #17
DragzSatrun
DragzSatrun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3nfo View Post
and today that means doing the computer code too.

And that is why I am worried that the car might not be able to be turned.

Saturn is the new Honda.

Bill
2002 L300 V6 - L81 Saab Motor - Automatic - Custom Borla Exhuast
Black and Chrome

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DragzSatrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DragzSatrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DragzSatrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:25 AM   #18
Robman
Advanced Member

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

If you have the 2.2 they do support it on VM Suite......

Rob
2001 Turbo L200
1997 F150 XLT
1985 Range Rover Classic

Do It Yourself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #19
s3nfo

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragzSatrun View Post
And that is why I am worried that the car might not be able to be turned.
Code is not rocket science, just something new for most people. Basically just a spreadsheet........

Jerry N

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2007, 12:47 PM   #20
philip1
philip1 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

there are lots of guys involved with HPTuners that have 2.2eco turbos and often they are more than happy to share their tuning files so a "canned" tune is possible. supercharging the 2.2eco in an L is just as easy with HPTuners there are guys that have done this too.

Phil

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to philip1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help philip1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
philip1 is offline   Reply With Quote