SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
zoso007
zoso007 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
1997 SC1
Default running temparture for 94 sl2

94 Sl2 m/t, where should the needle on the coolant gauge be at normal operating tempature. Mine seems to hang around half and when I idle for a little bit in traffic it starts creeping up to 3/4 and seems like it would keep going. Usually I try to turn off on to a different road then or park somewhere and turn the car off to cool down because I am afraid its going to go into the red. I replaced the thermostat and ECTS about 1000 ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zoso007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zoso007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zoso007 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
TwinRevver
Advanced Member
TwinRevver is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL1
Default Re: running temparture for 94 sl2

above 1/4 to 3/4 is ok 3/4 hash is cooling fan kick on

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwinRevver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwinRevver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwinRevver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso007 View Post
94 Sl2 m/t, where should the needle on the coolant gauge be at normal operating tempature. Mine seems to hang around half and when I idle for a little bit in traffic it starts creeping up to 3/4 and seems like it would keep going. Usually I try to turn off on to a different road then or park somewhere and turn the car off to cool down because I am afraid its going to go into the red. I replaced the thermostat and ECTS about 1000 ago.
Sounds about normal. Does your cooling fan kick on?

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

On a normally operating engine it will remain just under 1/2 scale during normal driving. If the A/C is turned off, it will creep up past 3/4 to just short of the red zone when stopped idling for a long time. Just before it hits the red zone the fan should turn on and the gauge reading should drop to below 1./2 scale fairly quickly. If the A/C is on, it should stay around the 1/2 scale or a bit below.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
hmundyiii
hmundyiii is on a distinguished road

I had my '95 sl2 in the shop before going on a trip last weekend. I questioned the fact that it runs at 1/4. The shop checked the temp and it showed 185f at 1/4 and 225f at 3/4. They said that this is proper temps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hmundyiii's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hmundyiii reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hmundyiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
HStockSolo
HStockSolo is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmundyiii View Post
I had my '95 sl2 in the shop before going on a trip last weekend. I questioned the fact that it runs at 1/4. The shop checked the temp and it showed 185f at 1/4 and 225f at 3/4. They said that this is proper temps.
Running at 1/4 of the guage is clear indication that the thermostat is stuck open. All three of my 1995 Saturns were running like that and just needed new thermostats.

1995 Saturn SC2 - ST(X)ish
1994 BMW 325i Sport
www.furrin.org

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HStockSolo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HStockSolo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HStockSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #7
SATURNER
SATURNER is on a distinguished road

As long as it does not go into the red, it is ok. Fan should come on at 3/4.

Hang up and Drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SATURNER's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SATURNER reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SATURNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #8
97coupe
Master Member
97coupe is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HStockSolo View Post
Running at 1/4 of the guage is clear indication that the thermostat is stuck open. All three of my 1995 Saturns were running like that and just needed new thermostats.
I would not say that, it could also be a "soft" ECTS too. When I changed mine recently to test something the normal temperature went from 184 to about 201 and gauge reading changed too. See link below

Click Here

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #9
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97coupe View Post
I would not say that, it could also be a "soft" ECTS too. When I changed mine recently to test something the normal temperature went from 184 to about 201 and gauge reading changed too.
But he has a 94 which has 2 sensors. One for the gauge and one for the PCM.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #10
97coupe
Master Member
97coupe is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeagle1 View Post
But he has a 94 which has 2 sensors. One for the gauge and one for the PCM.
It does not mean the temp sensor for gauge is not "soft".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:38 PM   #11
linuxdude
linuxdude is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default I didn't know 3/4 was normal for fan to kick in ..

I have to admit, whenever my SL2 has come even close to 3/4, which is rarely, I've tended to go "oh s--t" and open windows, turn on the heater full blast, and pray it comes down (which it does).

I guess I have been a doofus! Although, man, I would feel better knowing the fan will kick in before the 3/4 mark. It just seems like that doesn't leave much margin of error, before real trouble starts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to linuxdude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help linuxdude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
linuxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #12
stefen1990
stefen1990 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1994 SL2
Idea Re: running temparture for 94 sl2

mine does the same, first time i noticed i was at sonic with the car on. It was at 3/4 and a half-then i heard the fan kick on. I usually have the a/c on while driving which helps cool it down, but i've never had it over heat...except almost once. I got my coolant/anti-freeze flushed at tires plus it took them from 3 (when i got out of school) to 9 to get it done (no waiting time, i made an appointment) then when i got done i drove 10 minutes to my house and it almost over-heated, my fan didnt even turn on.... i called them back and cussed them out, they swore it was the thermostat (which it wasn't) so they re-did it (this time in 30 mins, not 6 hours.) and it was fixed, but it still gets somewhat high (did this before i got it flushed) so i think thats norm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stefen1990's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stefen1990 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stefen1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #13
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

I've had it worry me when it climbs up too.

Easy fix for those with AC. If you don't feel comfortable letting it climb to the 3/4 fan kick on point, just hit the AC button then turn it back off. The fan will stay on and bring the temp down, you just don't have the option to stop the fan where you want the gauge.

Sort of a one way fan control switch of sorts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote