SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
LotusLord
LotusLord is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Need some suggestions

I have lots of questions regarding my 1996 SL 1, many of which will probably seem stupid to most. I've never so much as changed the oil in my car myself. I basically can change light bulbs and fuses, and that's about it. But I'm hoping to learn more. I want to do as much as I can myself.

I haven't had the car in for any maintenance for at least a year, other than oil changes every 3000 miles. A friend replaced my front tie rod ends and did everything with the breaks, as far as I know. The break light on the dash now is coming on occasionally (every day, multiple times a day, but with no apparent constant).

Can I please get some suggestions, on recommended maintenance, and some ideas on what might be causing the random break light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LotusLord's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LotusLord reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LotusLord is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2
Default Re: Need some suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLord View Post
I have lots of questions regarding my 1996 SL 1, many of which will probably seem stupid to most. I've never so much as changed the oil in my car myself. I basically can change light bulbs and fuses, and that's about it. But I'm hoping to learn more. I want to do as much as I can myself.

I haven't had the car in for any maintenance for at least a year, other than oil changes every 3000 miles. A friend replaced my front tie rod ends and did everything with the breaks, as far as I know. The break light on the dash now is coming on occasionally (every day, multiple times a day, but with no apparent constant).

Can I please get some suggestions, on recommended maintenance, and some ideas on what might be causing the random break light.
BRAKE light being on means that your BRAKE fluid is low. Why is it low? Could be a leak. My OPINION = DON'T DRIVE THE CAR UNTIL YOU FIND THE LEAK. There is a reason that this indicator is RED, RED means STOP.

Yea it could also mean the e-brake switch is faulty, but unlikely.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Check the brake fluid right away. There is a float that will make the light come on when the fluid is low. Some change in the master cylinder level is normal, because the pads wear and the fluid must displace the difference. But as suggested above, make sure you don't have any leaks.

Checking for brake fluid leaks is as easy as taking the wheels off. Check each front caliper and the connections, then do the same on the back, checking the wheel cylinders. More than anything check for the obvious leak of fluid.

If you need any more in depth explanations, just ask. There are enough people here to tell you how to do just about anything, and explain it either in a simple or more in depth way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:26 AM   #4
LotusLord

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

Thanks for the help guys, I'll have to try this in the next couple of days. Also thanks for not bashing on a total noob.

Another quick question, do you think any of the self repair books, like the Haynes, are worthwhile?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help LotusLord reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:34 AM   #5
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Those manuals are adequate and certainly much better than nothing. A lot of folks on this forum believe service manuals to the the script of the Devil and will not invest the 15 bucks it takes to come out of the darkness. So at least you see the merit in having some printed guidance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:37 AM   #6
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:

a repair manual of some sort should be the first thing on your shopping list. as much as i despise the haynes/chilton manuals, they do serve a purpose. they're inexpensive and will show you a lot if you haven't done much auto mechanic stuff in the past.

oil is easy. i won't go over the steps, but do a search on this site and some will pop up.

you almost NEED someone that knows what they're doing to show you things to look for. we can tell you here, but you can't get a very good visual that way. EVERYTHING that you can maintenance on a saturn has been covered in great detail in these forums.

some basic wear items include:

brake pads
brake rotors
brake shoes
brake drums
engine mounts
tie rod ends
cv-joints
clutch
struts
strut mounts
rear sway bar end links (for sx2 owners)
bushings
lower control arms (the ball joint is non-serviceable)
front wheel bearings
rear wheel hubs
radiators (plastic side tanks crack)
hoses
air filter
Electronic Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECTS)

there's probably a lot more, but those should keep you busy for awhile...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #7
LotusLord

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

Thanks very much again guys. I know I have a lot to learn. A service manual is in my future. Any preferences, or pros and cons for a particular brand? Pictures would help a lot, since a few of these terms are new to me. Also any recommendations on tools that I might need, and or want.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-21-2007, 11:25 AM   #8
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

I just have a Haynes, but a factory manual would be better. You can get by with just about anything, but photos are always helpful if you're new to things.

As for tools, buy what you need on a regular basis. A decent socket set, combination wrenches, screwdrivers, anything you find you need to use often. A lot of times it doesn't pay to buy specialty tools that relate to a single type of car, unless you plan on keeping that car a long time.

Lots of parts places have loaner tools for off the wall stuff you don't use very often. Autozone in my area has free loaner stuff, you pay for the tool and then get your money back when you return it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:41 AM   #9
LotusLord

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

Great! Man you are all so helpful, I really appreciate it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:37 AM   #10
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Thanks very much again guys. I know I have a lot to learn. A service manual is in my future. Any preferences, or pros and cons for a particular brand? Pictures would help a lot, since a few of these terms are new to me. Also any recommendations on tools that I might need, and or want.
there is no substitute for the factory service manuals. the 3 volume set is about 14" tall if you stack them. in comparison, the haynes manual is about an inch thick if you set it on a table. my manual transaxle section alone is bigger than that...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:41 AM   #11
LotusLord

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

Is there a good place to get the factory manuals, and what can I expect to pay?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-22-2007, 12:35 PM   #12
S3aturnR
Master Member

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Is there a good place to get the factory manuals, and what can I expect to pay?

you get those directly from saturn. expect to pay around $125 for the set...

s3aturnr

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-22-2007, 12:56 PM   #13
LotusLord

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

Ouch, money I'd rather invest in fixing up the car. I ordered the Haynes manual yesterday, and previous comments about asking people to show you inspired me to contact an old friend of mine to help me out, and teach me some stuff. Cleaning out the junk, replacing one of the brake lights and inspecting the horn are a few of the things on my list for today. Baby steps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #14
S3aturnR
Master Member

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Ouch, money I'd rather invest in fixing up the car. I ordered the Haynes manual yesterday, and previous comments about asking people to show you inspired me to contact an old friend of mine to help me out, and teach me some stuff. Cleaning out the junk, replacing one of the brake lights and inspecting the horn are a few of the things on my list for today. Baby steps
yeah, it's expensive, but worth every penny. my set of FSM have paid for themselves many times over.

haynes will do fine for now. knowledgeable friends will be even better. especially since the last time i gave my FSM a beer, it STILL didn't do **** for me. i gave a friend a beer once and he fixed my car...

s3aturnr

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #15
LotusLord

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
haynes will do fine for now. knowledgeable friends will be even better. especially since the last time i gave my FSM a beer, it STILL didn't do **** for me. i gave a friend a beer once and he fixed my car...
I'm hoping that's the case. I work for an alcohol distributor, he can have a case of what ever he wants if he can teach me to be more self sufficient when it comes to auto maintenance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!