SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2019, 10:25 PM   #1
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Default What is bouncing around inside my headlight?

I was looking at my headlights tonight because of how sun damaged they are, and I noticed something siting inside the driver's side.... any idea what it could be? I tapped on the light and the thing moved... definitely not attached to anything any more.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2019, 11:06 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: What is bouncing around inside my headlight?

Time to replace the headlight assemblies.
You'll be glad you did, and your lights will enable you to see the road a whole lot better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:17 PM   #3
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Time to replace the headlight assemblies.
You'll be glad you did, and your lights will enable you to see the road a whole lot better.
I've been thinking about it.... almost ordered some a few times. I was also thinking about polishing the originals, but something loose inside can't be good.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2019, 01:53 AM   #4
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Yep, time to replace them. Looks like they're just breaking apart from the inside out. Some headlights have a shield that is in side the housing that goes over the bulb, I've seen those break loose before inside a headlight, but the 2nd gen S series do not have those so it's not that.

You can sand and buff them to get the lens clear again, but that's going to take the clear coat off and they'll only stay looking clear again for 5 or 6 months before the sun takes it's toll on them and they start getting hazy again...

I sanded and buffed the crap out of mine a little while back lol. They look amazing now, but they won't for long, and I'm well aware of that. But I'm in the process of trying to retrofit some 3rd gen SL lights that I going to throw some HID projectors into

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:21 AM   #5
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Gold_Uranus View Post
...You can sand and buff them to get the lens clear again, but that's going to take the clear coat off and they'll only stay looking clear again for 5 or 6 months before the sun takes it's toll on them and they start getting hazy again...
Look into using a few coats of Spraymax 2K Clear Coat on newly sanded and restored headlights. A high gloss, clear coat, semi-matte and matte version of this spray are available. I bought the clear coat to use on my new headlights.

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Chemical-...ef_=ast_bbp_dp

Saturn 1998 - SL2 automatic
Singer 1952 - 301A knee driven

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

3rd gens have the shade over the low beam, I believe everything except the SC and '93-'96 SC2 should have it too as I'm pretty sure it's legally mandated. Likely makes the low beams seem a bit better but on-comers probably hate you almost as much as those jackwagons with poorly installed HID kits.

No point in cleaning the outside when the inside is so bad and brand new ones are so cheap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:40 PM   #7
454cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Gold_Uranus View Post
I sanded and buffed the crap out of mine a little while back lol. They look amazing now, but they won't for long, and I'm well aware of that. But I'm in the process of trying to retrofit some 3rd gen SL lights that I going to throw some HID projectors into
I didn't realize they were different between the generations. The 2K clear makes the polishing last a lot longer, I've been told.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2019, 02:46 PM   #8
454cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
3rd gens have the shade over the low beam, I believe everything except the SC and '93-'96 SC2 should have it too as I'm pretty sure it's legally mandated. Likely makes the low beams seem a bit better but on-comers probably hate you almost as much as those jackwagons with poorly installed HID kits.
My lights are dim enough that I doubt anyone cares. I wondered of it might be a cover, as you mentioned.

Quote:
No point in cleaning the outside when the inside is so bad and brand new ones are so cheap
My concern is that I hear that the non-OEM replacements are often sub-standard in quality...usually in regards to the replacements for my truck, but I'd assume that goes for many lights given how cheaply they're sold for. I'll still probably get a set.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!