SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2016, 04:11 PM   #1
conemark
conemark is on a distinguished road

Default Vue 4 cyl & Equinox 6 cyl strut interchange

Would anyone happen to know if the Sachs struts (part numbers 315 279 and 315 279) would interchange from the 6 Cylinder Equinox/Torrent to the 4 Cylinder Vue? I would guess that the spring seat should be the same as well as the piston travel length. I would use a 4 cylinder Vue specific strut mount and bearing but was wondering about the body itself.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to conemark's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help conemark reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
conemark is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Vue 4 cyl & Equinox 6 cyl strut interchange

See if the same number comes up between the two makes on Rock AUto.

Why do yo u want to go to the trouble of putting used struts on?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #3
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Cone,
I agree with Billy, why use used parts? I just bought both front quick struts, the complete strut, spring, and top mount assembly, off of Amazon for $200 for the pair. These are brand new warrantied quick struts from Detroit Axle company.
Also, if you look on Amazon for the quick struts, both the Vue and the Equinox use the same parts. So you should be able to swap out if you need to.

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:48 AM   #4
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

I just ordered 2 front struts (struts only) $56 on ebay, at that was with free shipping

I looked at the rest of the parts on my existing struts (They are horribly rusted from sitting). The boot, spring, guides, spacers, etc all look good. They all look OK so I decided to just go with the struts only. Normally I get the loaded ones but not this time..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-New-Fro...VWwqDZ&vxp=mtr

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:01 PM   #5
conemark

Definitely not looking to put any used dampers on. I noticed that the Sachs units were available for the Equinox and was hoping they would interchange over to the Vue.

Before anyone asks, yes I've tried the quick struts, specifically the Gabriel units. I'm not happy at all with springs nor the damping, specifically the rebound, of them. I didn't think the Vue could ride or respond any softer until after I installed the Gabriels. Luckily I still have the OE springs which I intend to mount on the Sachs units along with matching strut bearings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help conemark reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-02-2016, 09:07 AM   #6
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Cone,
I have heard that about the Gabrials being soft. Monroe also does quick struts but they are very pricey. I am going to give the Detroit Axles a try, if I don't like them I will go for the Monroe quick struts.

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #7
conemark

A bit more research shows the external dimensions are the same between the Vue and Equinox struts. The differences lie in the pistons:

Vue:
Compressed Length = 12.16 inches
Extended Length = 20.51 inches
Piston travel/stroke = 8.35 inches.

Equinox:
CL = 12.44" (.28" greater, approximately a little more than a quarter inch)
EL = 21.04" (.53" greater, approximately a little more than half an inch)
PT = 8.6" (.25" greater, a quarter inch more of overall travel)

So there is no fear of the piston "bottoming out" on bump and you gain some travel on return. I'm probably going to move forward and order the Sachs units and install them to replace the Gabriel ReadyMount set that has been a disappointment.

Last edited by conemark; 04-05-2016 at 05:00 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-03-2019, 11:31 PM   #8
conemark

Necropost update: I finally found the proper Sachs part numbers specific to the Vue and ordered my dampers through a local source (AutoBarn). The Sachs units were a bit more in cost compared to the other brands. As I am planning on holding on to my Vue for a while, I could rationalize the cost after having basically thrown out a set of Gabriels after six months.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #9
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

3 yr follow up? you get a star.
i ordered a pair of strut mounts for a vue and they will not fit on my equinox. the attachment point for strut rod is different. they might fit but i dont feel like tearing my struts down to install them and finding out it is not so. i think you could use a complete vue strut assy on an equinox though. so, if you tell me the vue top mounts will fit on an equinox and the fact that they appear different is only an illusion, than i will use my parts. i tried to send them back to online seller and they said keep them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:46 AM   #10
conemark

Believe it or not, for the top mounts, I simply used an AC Delco part. The Sachs part that is listed for the Vue doesn't even look like the OEM or AC Delco replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #11
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

i put in new struts but not mounts. had noise. took struts apart again and replaced mounts. noise is gone. sold rig. got new equinox. and bought some vue mounts as they were cheaper than the nox mounts. yes i am tight. but i dont feel like redoing the job twice on the nox. ironically, the mounts ended up being free as the seller just refunded me. i tossed the old mounts for the equinox so i dont have any loose parts to compare with the new mounts

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:08 AM   #12
Tobacconist
Tobacconist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by conemark View Post
i could rationalize the cost after having basically thrown out a set of Gabriels after six months.
I'm glad that I didn't buy the Gabriel and hearing that. Just how bad were they?

I installed a set of Monroe on a Pontiac G6 and after less than a year they were clunking worse than the original worn factory struts.

Buying suspension parts seem to be hit and miss.

For the my Vue I ended up getting KYB after reading reviews about their quality.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tobacconist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tobacconist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tobacconist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:11 AM   #13
Tobacconist
Tobacconist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_varon View Post
Cone,
I have heard that about the Gabrials being soft. Monroe also does quick struts but they are very pricey. I am going to give the Detroit Axles a try, if I don't like them I will go for the Monroe quick struts.

John
Did you end up trying the Detroit Axle struts?

From what I read online their suspension parts manufactured by bottom tier China suppliers and are terrible quality.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tobacconist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tobacconist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tobacconist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #14
conemark

The Gabriel quick struts seemed to have a softer spring rate and the dampers were seriously lacking in keeping up with the springs. I would swear I could get better damping with sponges

The NYC area has a lot of bumps in the road in rapid succession. I found the Gabriels has such slow rebound that when everything compressed for the next bump that if felt like the shock was still on the down stroke that it made subsequent bumps harsher and harsher.

I've had the Sachs units on for about a year now and the still ride as comfortable as when installed. The Gabriels that I took off had about nine (9) months on them when I was so irritated with them tha they were temporarily replaced with the tired OEM units. Mind you, I installed the Gabriels as NEW. When taken off, the right side basically had a dead shock mid-travel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!