SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #61
vtwinwilly
vtwinwilly is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Wheel Bearing Noise Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike6986 View Post
hey guys new here and i searched and searched up and down this forum trying to see if i can find any answers. btw ive been lurking around here for some time after doing a brake job on my friends ion. but now im doing a fwb on another buddies 03 Saturn vue. this is a great post and it helped me tons but i have the dreaded problem of a seized axle shaft inside the hub assembly. i got the hub off the knuckle after some coercing with a hammer but that shaft is just not budging. it is soaked head to toe in PB blaster and wd40. ive heated it gently with a torch, and ive cussed more than john mcenroe. where do i go from here? any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!
I know I'm late to the game here but others may read this and find my experience useful.

I had the same problem, the axle splines were fused to the bearing assembly. I used a 3 jaw, 5 ton bearing puller to separate the two. Worked like a champ. Used the O'Reily tool borrow program for the puller.

Remember, pull it just enough to break them apart, after that they separate pretty easily.

Others have mentioned not using the bearing puller. If you are trying to get the bearing assembly out of the steering knuckle, then that is sound advice, but if the axle splines are fused to the bearing, the puller works great!

I just finished doing both the left and right sides on my 2003 VUE. This thread was the key to my success. A big Thank You to everyone who has contributed here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vtwinwilly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vtwinwilly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #62
OdieTurbo
OdieTurbo is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.4L

I must say, thanks for the great information and pics! It was really helpful and everything (almost) went perfectly.

I have to add though, if you live in a state where they salt the roads in the winter, the 3 bolts holding the bearing to the spindle will be VERY hard to remove. I broke 2 Snap-On ratchets and a Snap-On ratcheting box end wrench.

I had to remove the whole spindle and am taking it to a shop so they can use a torch to heat the threaded part of the bearing and remove the bolt

Also, again if you have a salty state, do yourself a favor and get 3 new bolts from the dealership. The heads on 2 of mine got rounded a bit and the 3rd is completely ruined.

Surprisingly though, the CV shaft popped out with only a tap!

Current:
2005 Saturn VUE 2.2L 5-Speed FWD
2002 Saturn SL1 1.9L Automatic
Past:
2002 Saturn SL1 1.9L Automatic (Sold to Sister-In-Law)
2001 Saturn SL1 1.9L 5-Speed (Transmission grenaded twice)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OdieTurbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OdieTurbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OdieTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #63
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

I replace bearings in sets. SAfe bet if one is bad the other is close.

If I am going to the trouble of taking my Vue out of action for a day, I don't want to do it twice -so both sides get the Timken treatment. ESPECIALLY if I am taking it to a stdealer( which I wouldn't do.)

Mine sounded like whirring roaring that increased with speed.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:07 PM   #64
silvervue06
silvervue06 is on a distinguished road

This discussion is amazing.

I was able to replace the front left wheel bearing myself last night.
It took a while as I've never done it before. AND I am not at all car mechanic kinda guy.

I did have to be totally unorthodox in separating the knuckle and the wheel bearing assembly apart.

I used the sledge hammer and pounded that thing so hard.
A few tries and 10 minutes later, I was victorious.
Nothing damaged on the knuckle (aluminum part).

The corrosion was so bad (06 vue 120k miles) on the joint part.
I scrapped the crud before the new WB can fit into the knuckle part.
sprayed WD40 and cleaned up the area, then WB was put in place nicely.

screwed in the 3 screws with the impact driver tightly.
Put everything back.

I can't tell yet if my work is a success as I have to do the front right side.
I have been driving the car around and the whoom-whoom-whoom noise is still there.
And just to be clear, I got my front brakes done. The car guy (reputable car service station - not a GM dealer) told me the right and front WB and the right rear WB need to be replaced as they are noisy. I agreed with him that my car was noisy.
He quoted me around $1200 for 3.

I bought the 2 WB from Detroit/Axle - Made in China for around $90 (2 WBs)
So I only hoped that they will last at least a year.

I'll post photos later as well.

so, I will update in a couple of days once I complete the other side.

Cheers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silvervue06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silvervue06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silvervue06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:28 PM   #65
silvervue06

I completed the front right WB replacement job last night.

All went well.
Sorry no photos, but the photos here are the same ones I use to guide me through the process.

THANKS A TON GUYS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help silvervue06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:04 AM   #66
skyking421
skyking421 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvervue06 View Post
I completed the front right WB replacement job last night.

All went well.
Sorry no photos, but the photos here are the same ones I use to guide me through the process.

THANKS A TON GUYS.
Here's hoping that my replacement goes well.
Silvervue: Did part of the noise go away?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skyking421's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skyking421 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skyking421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:58 PM   #67
silvervue06

OH HECK YEAH!!!

First batch - front wheel bearings.
Got the parts from ebay - Detroid Axle $94

After a week or two, I replaced the rear ones.
Detroit Axle for $56.49

Some tools I had to buy - $60.

Initially a reputable car service company here in town wanted $1600 for all 4.

I completed - 100% satisfaction.
NOISE was eliminated one thousand percent.

The first one - driver side wheel bearing took me a couple of days.
But it was an immensely helpful experience that made the rest look easy.

I am proud of myself as I am not a car mechanic at all.

Priceless.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #68
Deltaphi216
Deltaphi216 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

welp, looks like I have a wheel bearing going now too. I just can't keep this damn car running for more than a few months without something going bad.

Thank you for the write up! already ordered the timken unit off amazon for $104.

-2004 Saturn Vue 2.2L 5speed - on engine #2 - damn timing chains!
-2006 Nissan Xterra S - Ordering parts for a Titan swap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Deltaphi216's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Deltaphi216 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Deltaphi216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:46 PM   #69
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Dizzy Re: Wheel Bearing Noise Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasy View Post
I had to do it on my 02 VUE before selling it and getting an 05 VUE.
Fronts were a PITA!
I tried it all, gave it to a shop and they had to remove the knuckle, use a torch and a 50 ton press to get the sob out.
For the rears I rented a sliding hummer and they came out in a few minutes, that was an easy job.
My experience was very similar when I replaced all 4 wheel hubs in my 2004 VUE in Sep 2013 at 91K miles. Only one of my hubs was bad. The noise got so loud that we couldn't talk to each other in our VUE when it was going faster than say 25 MPH. Fearing at least one of the other three would fail too I replaced all four with Timkins.

One rear hub came out after 2 minutes with a slide hammer, the other rear hub took maybe 30 minutes. I used the slide hammer for hours and hours on each of the front hubs without success.

Finally I let mechanics at a garage do it. It took them all day too. First a slide hammer didn't work for them either. Then they removed the knuckle and hub and tried a bench press which didn't work either. Finally they put the knuckle/hub units on the ground, blasted them with a torch, and beat the heck out of them with a sledge hammer. Success at last.

In hindsight for the stubborn hubs after trying the slide hammer for over an hour, I should have given up on trying to separate them and simply bought new knuckles.

Current
∙ 2004 VUE 124K
∙ 2007 ION3 112K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K
∙ 2002 SL1 129K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:50 AM   #70
bengalsgrowl
bengalsgrowl is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.0L
Thumbs Up Re: Wheel Bearing Noise Comparison

I know this is an old thread, but i wanna say thanks for all the info,

I just replaced the wheel bearing hub on the passenger side of my 2006 Saturn Vue.

First I wanna say tried for 2 days, a total of about 8 hrs banging on the hub to try and free it.... lost cause... torches, PB Blaster, homemade rust killer/lube (transmission fluid and acetone, formula i got from watching a youtube video). Still wouldn't come free.. I can't stress enough how frustrating this was. I recommend giving this a try but don't get sucked into trying to save time by using a hammer, if it's not free after an hr or two you probably shouldn't waste anymore time.

Finally i took the whole knuckle off, which only took about 10 minutes. 2 tap bolts on upper arm (remove nuts with 18mm socket then tap bolts out), nut at lower arm steering knuckle (18mm socket, mine had a cotter pin that snapped. less than a dollar to replace), nut under tie rod ball joint (18mm socket). Also i noticed there are a few different axel nut sizes mentioned throughout forums, mine was a 33mm on my 2006. (sooo easy, wish i did this to begin with)

Took the whole assembly to work and used a hydraulic press to free the hub.
This took 5 minutes, and so much pressure it made it very clear after that there wasn't a chance that i could get it free with a hammer. In my case taking the whole thing off is definitely the easier route, especially being from Ohio, the hub was very corroded and seized. I hear you can take the assembly to an auto parts store to press it out, or you can give it a go hitting the backside with a hammer now that it is off.

Good luck to all who take on this project, i think it can be very easy or extremely time consuming, i found out the hard way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bengalsgrowl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bengalsgrowl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bengalsgrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:50 PM   #71
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Wheel Bearing Noise Comparison

Good job.

Current
∙ 2004 VUE 124K
∙ 2007 ION3 112K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K
∙ 2002 SL1 129K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:47 PM   #72
lunarconcepts
lunarconcepts is on a distinguished road

I see the last post was late 2016 so i am crossing my fingers.

My question. On a non-ABS model, I noticed that there is still a wheel speed sensor on the passenger side hub that is plugged into the vehicle. I know the driver side is bad. The driver side has no sensor. When you order the hubs there is no option for a left vs.right only ABS or Non-ABS. Is that a speedsensor for AWD or Vehicle speed? Does the non ABS hubs have a provision for this sensor to fit or do I need an ABS hub for the passengers side but not the drivers side?

I just bought a 2003 Vue with AWD and the 3.0 94K miles for 1000.00
Of course im finding out that it wasn't such a good deal as I am digging into it

Leaking valve covers gaskets which is fine because...
T-stat isnt getting the engine hot enough Code P0128
Starter...not a fun job
End links
Weird oscillating squeak/creaking sound from the front end when the warped rotors pulse (sounds like a squeaky shock or bushing but I soaked everything from the strut mount down with silicon (maybe a swaybar bushing?) Only hear it on the breaks
And 100K T-belt/H2O pump and plugs

A lot of great info here. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lunarconcepts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lunarconcepts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lunarconcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:57 PM   #73
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarconcepts View Post
My question. On a non-ABS model, I noticed that there is still a wheel speed sensor on the passenger side hub that is plugged into the vehicle. I know the driver side is bad. The driver side has no sensor. When you order the hubs there is no option for a left vs.right only ABS or Non-ABS. Is that a speedsensor for AWD or Vehicle speed? Does the non ABS hubs have a provision for this sensor to fit or do I need an ABS hub for the passengers side but not the drivers side?
Yes - that sensor is for vehicle speed (your speedo).
You want the non-ABS for driver-side and ABS for passenger.
Tips on removing hub . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117812

Quote:
Leaking valve covers gaskets which is fine because...
Tips on this . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201335

Quote:
T-stat isnt getting the engine hot enough Code P0128
You want to do the Plugs, Cam Cover Gasket and T'stat in one operation . . .

Quote:
And 100K T-belt/H2O pump and plugs
. . . and then the TB and Water Pump as another job. Plenty threads on this and you don't need the special tools to do the TB.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #74
Mikeeh
Mikeeh has a spectacular aura aboutMikeeh has a spectacular aura aboutMikeeh has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbw View Post
Important info the axle nut is a 33mm...I didn't have one had to purchase one.....
Once again, I want to thank all of you for all of your efforts to contribute here. I just replaced my bearings, and a 20 lb sledge is your friend. Bu now its done and thank you again!

You're only young once, but you can allways be immature.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mikeeh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mikeeh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mikeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:00 PM   #75
mangler66
mangler66 is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

2007 vue, 130k miles, both front wheels are on their 3 wheel bearing...

Unless you enjoy changing them, don't go cheap. If you are paying for labour, this goes double. Best one I found was the SKF. It's been one for about 60k on the right, no issues. The only one that has a good max runout warranty, so it will also help you with warped rotors. Anyway my 2 cents. Expensive but worth it if you plan on driving the car more than another 40k miles.

2.2L 5 speed, Eibach springs, Centerforce Df clutch, OBX LSD, ES poly sway bar bushings

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mangler66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mangler66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mangler66 is offline   Reply With Quote