SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #21
wingsauce7
wingsauce7 has a spectacular aura aboutwingsauce7 has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL1
2000 SL1
Default Re: Check Engine Light - Code P0410

Removing the exhaust manifold to clean the fresh air passages on a SOHC is super easy. This is around a 2 hour job. There is a bit of dissassembly required to get to the manifold studs, but nothing major.

I reused my gaskets without problems.

This video shows you what to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjwzEyFOwx4

2002 SL1 Manual 208,000 miles
2001 SL1 Manual 425,000 miles!! (original clutch)
2000 SL1 Manual 235,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wingsauce7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wingsauce7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wingsauce7 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #22
BobJ
BobJ is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Check Engine Light - Code P0410

I dont mean to double post, but I added this to another thread about the P0410. The best thing to start with is the richpin video which methodically goes through step-by-step to actually diagnose the problem with trying some generic cure.

On my 2000 SL1, we got the P0410 code. The richpin video was very helpful (as is all his advice), unfortunately I couldn't get past step one. Fortunately, he also posted the wiring diagram.
I saw power at connector, but when plugged into blower, it didn't turn. Sounds like the blower was bad, right? No, if you attach blower direct to battery, it works fine. Turns out it was the ground wire. There is a grounding splice block right near pump for both the headlight circuits (I think) as well as blower ground. I had to drill out the bolt holding the block. Most connections inside were corroded. There may be a good way to get disassemble and clean, but I just hardwired them all together and reattached to a new ground bolt/hole. I also attached another wire to this collection of grounds and tied it to another ground location since I wasn't sure the redrilled attachment would be secure over the long haul.

Blower now goes on when you initially start the car, goes off after about 90 seconds or so as I think its supposed to. I'll check codes over the next few days after monitors are filled up. Hopefully codes will still be clear.

BTW, since using this site many time for my 96 SL2, and now for my 2000 SL1, I have finally signed up so I can share my experiences too. What did they do before google and stuff like this?
Thanks all,
BobJ

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobJ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobJ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:51 PM   #23
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Happy Re: Check Engine Light - Code P0410

Success! My daughter's 2002 SL1 had the SES with code P410. With a cold engine I removed the silver tube between the valve and the exhaust manifold, held on with two pairs of 10mm nuts. It was not totally clogged but did have a lot of build-up inside. A lot.

I cleaned the silver tube by twisting and jamming a screwdriver in at each end, poured some chemicals in there to help dissolve the build-up, and repeated a few times before doing it one last time with a pipe cleaner and more chemicals. I used Berryman B12 to dissolve the gunk.

Before putting the silver tube back on, I also cleaned a little bit of the exterior part of the exhaust manifold where it attaches again by twisting and jamming a screwdriver in there. I doubt it did any good but why not.

1 week and 300 miles since doing this and the SES with code P410 has not returned. If it does then I'll clean those passages on the side of the exhaust manifold where it meets the engine head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV22 View Post
When the SES comes and goes with the P0410 code, that suggests likely partial blockage of the air injection passages. My '02 does this from time to time. As it gets worse, the light is on more often than not. I've pulled the exhaust manifold twice during my 8 years of ownership to get the crud out of the air passages through the head. On an SOHC engine, this is easy. On the DOHC, it is a bit more of a challenge because of the shape of the passages.

Take the silver tube between the diverter valve and the exhaust manifold off and do a cold start. If air pours out of the diverter valve for 30 seconds or so, the air pump, diverter valve and solenoid vacuum valve are all working. Then, using something other than your hand, check for exhaust flow out of the open hole in the manifold. If very little exhaust comes out of the hole, the air passages are plugged.

Some lucky souls find that the silver tube is plugged, and cleaning it out restores secondary air system performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickster View Post
I recently had this code (PO410). On mine, the silver tube between the diverter and the manifold was plugged. I removed the tube and cleaned it out with brake cleaner.

Current
∙ 2004 VUE 124K
∙ 2007 ION3 112K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K
∙ 2002 SL1 129K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote