SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2016, 02:28 PM   #21
cdes
cdes will become famous soon enough

Default Re: How to change transmission fluid in VUE with manual transmission

Billy, you get ahead of yourself. Have a little sympathy for guys who rely on this tutorial to learn about loosing two bolts and pour liquid into a whole until it spills out another hole.

Newbies like me tend to lift the car at the designated lift points as pointed out in the manual. Unlike "normal" cards, GM has a something they refer to as a "jack flange". The factory jack has an indentation in the middle to accommodate the lip in which the chassis panels are coming together at this flange. Using a falt headed floor jack will not only bend those lips but also make the car wobbly on the jack.

I do realise that neither you nor other knowledgeable people on this boards will ever think of lifting the car up there but case in point: on my used 06 Vue, the lips are totally screwed due to improper jacking (not by me though) and it starts to rust there although the car is only operated in the Texan heat.

'06 Saturn Vue 2.2L 5-spd Manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #22
thegreatbriguy
thegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdes View Post
Billy, you get ahead of yourself. Have a little sympathy for guys who rely on this tutorial to learn about loosing two bolts and pour liquid into a whole until it spills out another hole.

Newbies like me tend to lift the car at the designated lift points as pointed out in the manual. Unlike "normal" cards, GM has a something they refer to as a "jack flange". The factory jack has an indentation in the middle to accommodate the lip in which the chassis panels are coming together at this flange. Using a falt headed floor jack will not only bend those lips but also make the car wobbly on the jack.

I do realise that neither you nor other knowledgeable people on this boards will ever think of lifting the car up there but case in point: on my used 06 Vue, the lips are totally screwed due to improper jacking (not by me though) and it starts to rust there although the car is only operated in the Texan heat.
I haven't had a problem with the piece of wood but the hockey puck is an interesting idea.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thegreatbriguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thegreatbriguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thegreatbriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:49 PM   #23
KCW
Advanced Member
KCW is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

2004 160k miles my manual was difficult to shift and it makes whining noises like straight cut gears.

decided to check the level after all these years (never been changed or checked). I could not get the 8mm screw off the side with a long Allen wrench, so I decided to just drain it all out and replace it.

Didn't seem like much came out, so I measure it. There was only 4 ounces of oil in my transmission. I guess that answers the question of how much oil does a manual transmission really need: not much... almost none.

Filled it back up with 2 quarts, dumped all of it in. After a few weeks the shifting loosened up quite a bit, but the straight cut gear whining is with me till the end.

Hope to make it to 200k.

BTW, I have no idea where the oil went. Its never leaked in the driveway, and its not leaking now. Is it possible my Vue came from the factory 160,000 miles ago with only 4 ounces of oil in the transmission?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KCW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:30 AM   #24
thegreatbriguy
thegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
2004 160k miles my manual was difficult to shift and it makes whining noises like straight cut gears.

decided to check the level after all these years (never been changed or checked). I could not get the 8mm screw off the side with a long Allen wrench, so I decided to just drain it all out and replace it.

Didn't seem like much came out, so I measure it. There was only 4 ounces of oil in my transmission. I guess that answers the question of how much oil does a manual transmission really need: not much... almost none.

Filled it back up with 2 quarts, dumped all of it in. After a few weeks the shifting loosened up quite a bit, but the straight cut gear whining is with me till the end.

Hope to make it to 200k.

BTW, I have no idea where the oil went. Its never leaked in the driveway, and its not leaking now. Is it possible my Vue came from the factory 160,000 miles ago with only 4 ounces of oil in the transmission?
Is the noise only during deceleration? like differential side gear noise?
ask me how I know....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help thegreatbriguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #25
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Wrench Re: How to change transmission fluid in VUE with manual transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatbriguy View Post
Is the noise only during deceleration? like differential side gear noise?
ask me how I know....
If the story behind this is useful to others with the same transmission, then please share!

Current
∙ 2004 VUE 124K
∙ 2007 ION3 112K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K
∙ 2002 SL1 129K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:20 PM   #26
KCW
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

I think its probably the differential gear. Next time I drive the Vue to work I will play with the gears and put it in neutral and see if I can nail it down.

Weather is getting nice here, might ride the motorcycle to work the next couple days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KCW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #27
KCW
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

drove Vue to work today
its definitely the differential gear
the sound is the same in 3, 4, 5, varies only with speed, not with which gear is used.

in neutral or with the clutch in its hard to hear it at all.

starts around 25mph, steady whine at 40 to 45, above 65 don't really notice it, buts its still there, just a higher pitch

when you get on the gas a little it whines and when you let off it whines a little different. If you rev match the engine it nearly stops, like in neutral.

Trying to visualize now what the differential gears look like in a transmission that is inline with the axles to the wheels? I know what they look like in a normal V8 rear wheel drive differential.... will google it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCW's Reputation
Old 03-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #28
thegreatbriguy

2005 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 93 SL2m View Post
If the story behind this is useful to others with the same transmission, then please share!
I don't have the same noise KCW is describing. I can't share the whole story because I'm still driving it. shifts fine. noise only on deceleration or more appropriately no noise on acceleration or when foot in gas. the reason for my diagnosis is I pulled the half shafts and had good mechanic friends feel play I thought was abnormal inside trans (not roller bearing for half shaft) He diagnosed and I trust him. If I remember the play was only on the link shaft side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2016, 04:10 PM   #29
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Billy, you get ahead of yourself....a falt headed floor jack will not only bend those lips but also make the car wobbly on the jack.
SImple solution is to use a floor jack- with no faulty head.
, isn't wobbly, and is easy to use/efficient. The factory scissor jack supplied with our cars is a poor choice for home wrenching. ... (side of the road is another story...)

Harbor Freight has a 3ton aluminum floor jack ,way overpriced, currently,,,. I picked up one similar @ costco, 6 years ago, for maybe $80. I'm sure you can find them in local suplus tool sellers, thrift/pawn shops-steel ones will be cheaper/heavier, and, of course, all the internet retailers.

I've had my Vue for 90Kish miles, jacked it up rear and front under suspension/unibody points, and front cradle.

WHeels always chocked, first, before jacking...

Once up in the air, jackstands go in under either side suspension/unibody hardpoints .

I have no problems, ever, getting the car aligned, nothing's bent from jacking the cradle, front and center.

Never have I jacked it up at body seams/ pinch points, as you seem to be talking about. changed brakes,suspension components several times over, general troubleshootin', oil changes, wheel rotations, etc... All on a sloped street or sloped driveway.

Only wobblin' around here was on Easter, a few years ago, when a 7ish on the Richter SCale quake let loose near Mexicali , Mexico, a few years back... and I confess to maybe over indulging, once, and possibly, wobbling.

imagine...

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

Last edited by billysvue; 03-22-2016 at 04:17 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:32 PM   #30
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post

Hope to make it to 200k.

BTW, I have no idea where the oil went. Its never leaked in the driveway, and its not leaking now.

Is it possible my Vue came from the factory 160,000 miles ago with only 4 ounces of oil in the transmission?
Geez, that's horrible,and you're original owner?

I can't imagine the lack of 2 quarts-ish of trans lube did it any good,,,,,, and that your assumption of, "whine, till the end", will occur.

THEre is , however, that big, outboard bearing on the passenger side to think about. It's in the middle of the CV "powerline". SOme have had to change it out, but usually related to roadsalt/rust issues. I think mine is original(note my mileage). It merit's inspection, but it probably isn't the culprit based on evidence of severe abuse/no lube in it.

YOu probably have a good ,lapping compound, going on in there now, with the new lube washing down the old abuse. Are 2 more qts of lube/another drain/fill going to break the bank?

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2016, 11:21 PM   #31
KCW
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

things are getting worse on the tranny.

the problems started shifting into 5th, push the shifter into gear, it doesn't feel like it hit the stop, and when I let the clutch out the gear grinds like teeth pushing against teeth. Maybe its the synchro going.

after a few weeks it started in 1st gear, and later in 3rd. No problem while you hold the clutch in, but when you let the clutch out to give it power - metal grinding like trying to shift without using the clutch.

I think I will drain the transmission oil out this weekend and see what kind of sludge comes out, and if it lost any in the last few months.

Im pretty sure its not the linkage or the cables. Sometimes it shifts into 1, 3 or 5th just fine, you can feel the shifter come to a solid stop at the end of the lever motion. But other times something is not engaging all the way in the transmission. I know the roll pin on these transmissions on the linkage arm sometimes backs out and jams. I checked that and it looks fine.

BTW 2nd, 4th and reverse are fine. Been starting in 2nd gear whenever I can (going down a slight hill, or not coming to a complete stop).

Not sure what Im looking at if I have to replace the transmission (2.2L 5 speed). I expect I would have to drop at least one side of the engine subframe down to get the transmission out.

Ive swapped engines and transmissions out on other cars, lots of air cooled VWs. 2 hours max. I miss the '70s.

I suspect replacing the transmission on the Vue will take a lot more work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCW's Reputation
Old 05-06-2016, 11:26 PM   #32
KCW
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

... to get the Vue to pass inspection last month, I had to replace the leaking metal fuel lines (made my own), the muffler, the front brakes and rotors, the rear sway links, and put new tires on the front.

Im saving a lot doing all the work myself, so Im not about to give up on this one yet. Using the Vue as a commuter car when I cant ride my motorcycle to work, which only puts about 3K on the odo each year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCW's Reputation
Old 05-07-2016, 08:00 AM   #33
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

Your shifting issues sounds like cables.

Mine were a little stiff and I had to press things hard to make sure it was in gear. With new cables, I shift with two fingers and its smooth.

One thing you may be able to check, put the car in neutral, then verify the shifter is in the center. i.e. pull the shifter counsel cover up. The shifter goes through a white ball. The shifter should be fairly well centered in the ball.

Look below the ball and you'll see how the cables attach. These are called "adjusters" The black adjuster is the shifter forward/back and the white adjuster moves when you move the shifter side to side.

Lube everything in there, particularly the white ball.

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:29 AM   #34
KCW
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

thanks Waiter

I had to replace the clip sandwich in the shifter assembly a few years ago. About a year later the clip came loose again, and I had to kludge it back together with a couple zip ties.

I did look at it recently, anything is easier than a transmission swap.

Since Im only having trouble engaging 1 3 and 5 I popped the right adjuster loose and gave it a few more teeth to make sure its pulling the cable back as far as it needs to. The only result is the shift knob is now centered a little bit further back from where is was before.

I can also wiggle the knob with shifter boot off, and see the cables are moving freely. Ive blasted the transmission end of few times with silicon as well.

I know manual transmissions are nearly bullet proof.... except as I posted a few months ago, only having 4 ounces of oil where there should be 64 oz, that was causing the transmission to be hard to shift, and it loosened up after a few weeks with 2 quarts in it. That's the reason I think something has worn out in there.

I will change the oil again, see what comes out, and see how it goes.

As long as I can drive the car (even though its a bit tedious to shift) I can put up with it. My biggest worry is I will shift into 3rd and let out the clutch and something will go BANG.

Once all the noise leaks out of a transmission its hard to get it all back in again. You have to scream at it for hours and pound on it with a hammer, to restore its previous level of factory injected noise.

For now the noise is leaking out slowly.... :^)

seriously though, If I understand how the transmission in this car works, when you shift there is a fork that pushes gears in one direction of the other. It feels like its not pushing something all the way, like something has slop in there.

But before I start looking for a new transmission I will definitely make sure its not the linkage. How much would that suck, to replace it, and the new one does the same thing, because it was the cables all along?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCW's Reputation
Old 05-07-2016, 10:20 AM   #35
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Billy, you get ahead of yourself. Have a little sympathy for guys who rely on this tutorial to learn about loosing two bolts and pour liquid into a whole until it spills out another hole. .
Dumb it down for the masses? No.

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2017, 07:47 PM   #36
geedavey
geedavey is on a distinguished road

Default Re: How to change transmission fluid in VUE with manual transmission, continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 93 SL2m View Post

However there is very little clearance near the transmission drain plug so a torque wrench might not be feasible here anyway.

NOT KIDDING about there being little clearance! You can see the gap between the subframe member and the drain plug. On my '06 Vue that gap is 7/8" ... MUCH too small to get any socket wrench or allen wrench in there.

Here's a live link to an image of the fill and drain plugs:

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...ugs1/cat/13014

That gap between the lower drain plug and the frame member looks a lot larger in this picture than it was on my Vue. So here's how I did it:

I used a 16mm ratcheting combination wrench, held onto the plug's nut-shaped outer faces with a crowbar used to keep it wedged in place. This was essential, as the plug is surrounded by a metal collar that prevents the wrench from seating deeply on the nut faces. The first time I tried to loosen it the wrench slipped off and rounded off a couple of corners.

Applying pressure to the wrench towards the transmission with the crowbar with one hand, holding on to the subframe under the front bumper with the other hand, and pressing on the wrench handle with my foot to loosen it...well, it finally let go, but that sure took some doing.

Also, you don't have to refill the gear case through the "fill hole." Leave it open with a tray underneath, but fill the case through the opening on top of the tranny, between the manifold and the fuse box, deep down in the bowels of the engine compartment. Here's a picture (from elsewhere in this thread, reposted here for the convenience of the visitor:

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho.../ppuser/104032

anyway, hope that's helpful. My Vue has only 112K miles on it but it's making a fair amount of noise in gear at highway speeds, with a buzzing sensation, and I'm hoping the tranny fluid change will help.

Regards,

DK

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geedavey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geedavey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geedavey is offline   Reply With Quote