SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2011, 08:35 AM   #461
10Miler
Advanced Member
10Miler is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Guess I wont be be on the road for too much longer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbox View Post
+1, I get much better search results with google. The top results are usually links here anyway.
Yes, very true. And if the thread titles were more accurate it would be even better. I vote for this one being called "Saturn Engine Rebuild" or something like that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 10Miler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 10Miler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
10Miler is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2015, 12:59 PM   #462
BravoZulu
BravoZulu is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehunter View Post
I am so happy with the way this engine is running.

Smoooooth......

I do have an intermittent rattle from the power steering pump that hopefully will go away. At this time I am swapping out the PS steering fluid to see if it helps any.

I also noticed few drops of coolant coming from the reservoir hose where it connects to the block, under the thermostat. I took care of that yesterday by swapping out the hose clamp for a different type. I really should have bought a new hose and used the same clamp. If the fix does not last that is what I will do.

I am up to 140miles now. At 500 Blackstone labs gets sent a sample of the oil.

So far so good
How has the engine been running? How many miles do you have on it now? I'm getting ready to start a rebuild.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BravoZulu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BravoZulu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BravoZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:09 PM   #463
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Send him a PM as he does not check in here very often.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:19 PM   #464
dcockrum
dcockrum is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
This is what I did for my engine hoist this time. Bought a chain pulley like those at the JY for $50. Built a trolley out of two wheels from Harbor Freight and some steel from Orchard Hardware and a load leveler (not pictured) from HF a must. Worked great see pic.
Be careful when putting load on the bottom board in a garage. I am a structural engineer. The bottom board going across a garage is typically a tension only member to keep the walls from pushing out. The real load carrying member is the rafter at the roof level. If anybody is considering doing this PM me a pic of your garage and I'll give you free and professional structural engineering because I don't want any Saturn owners to get hurt!

Save a horse, drive a Saturn!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcockrum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcockrum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcockrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #465
dcockrum
dcockrum is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
This is what I did for my engine hoist this time. Bought a chain pulley like those at the JY for $50. Built a trolley out of two wheels from Harbor Freight and some steel from Orchard Hardware and a load leveler (not pictured) from HF a must. Worked great see pic.
If you do have access to your rafters, (not collar ties), and have the knowledge of how to load 'em, a chain hoist beats the heck out of an engine stand. Also instead of a load leveler I have had success with a chain plus a couple ratchet straps for leveling. I will admit I've never used a load leveler - it might be easier. A cable puller hooked to the wall can also be handy if you find that you didn't position the motor directly below the chain hoist.

Save a horse, drive a Saturn!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcockrum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcockrum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcockrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:11 AM   #466
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco – 5sp – Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZulu View Post
How has the engine been running? How many miles do you have on it now? I'm getting ready to start a rebuild.
Some of you more seasoned posters may remember that my main ride is now an electric Nissan Leaf meaning that I don’t need to check in here nearly as often as in the past.

The Leaf is the daily commuter and the Saturn is for longer trips. This combo of two cars is what I call my hybrid. No need to pay a premium for both technologies in a single car.

Anyway, the car still purrs. Sitting in drivers seat you can’t tell the engine is running. The key to this is the equal compression resulting from all 4 cyls. Else you will feel more and more engine thump the more unbalanced the compression is. It also helps having the recommended motor mount replaced with the NOS GM part(not any of that cheap Anchor krap).

Just last week my shifter cable bushing finally bit the dust. Thankfully, in traffic, I kept a straight head and was able to limp the 3 miles back home in 1st gear. I JB Welded the recommended stainless steel bushing in place and am back to good as new. The shifting feels great now. The shifter now easily plops into gear whereas before it was feeling kind of sloppy.

So yes I am still a happy camper. I did everything as recommended via the best minds here and did not pinch pennys on vital parts or important details of the assembly. So all is still well in Saturn land… at this point in time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #467
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Good to hear things are still functioning as designed for you and your fleet. It is interesting to see how you have leveraged the all electric and internal combustion technologies to squeeze the best out of both. It would be a real plus if there was more info like this out there for the masses to catch up on so they could understand the benefits of the different technologies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2015, 10:54 PM   #468
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco – 5sp – Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2

Hi OldNuc,

Energy technology has made significant strides these last two years. Not so much from an EV auto technology, but from a cost of energy perspective.

It is now more cost effective for people to generate their own electricity than it is to buy it from the power companies. This is helping the coal mining industry to collapse. Only 5-7 years is needed now to recuperate your costs when installing solar panels on your roof. That is, as long as one can afford the upfront costs, they will break even in 5-7 years. The remaining 20 years of life span of the system and you have free electricity for life.

I don’t have solar panels yet… so I am paying about 5cents per mile for my Leaf transportation costs. (10c/mile is about 40mpg) So after 5-7 years my costs would be notably less than 5cents.

If anybody is thinking about it, don’t gimmick lease your solar system. Buy it else you can get yourself trapped via a few critical contractual details. Another huge benefit to owning your own panels is that if somebody wants to sell their house, potential buyers are willing to pay notably more money than the real cost the system.

So once home electricity storage systems catch up with everything else, we wont need the power company at all and our transportation costs drift closer to zero. I am betting the government finds a way to tax us for using the suns rays so we will see how it goes.

Anybody looking to buy a Leaf? I have heard of people getting them in new-like condition (used for a few years) for $15 grand.

There is a free energy reactor out there available to everyone and it will never ever quit on you. It is called the sun.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:41 PM   #469
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Solar panel power will arrive for the masses when there is a self contained storage and inverter system that only has an inverter on/off switch, panel disconnect, and house load disconnect. All remaining functions being internally monitored and controlled without homeowner intervention. The present technology functions fine for anyone who understands it at a level where they can work with something that will near instantly kill you with no warning, that limits general acceptance. Off grid power is quite common out here and has been for a very long time but it still is not that widely accepted as at present it requires knowledge and understanding beyond what many people have.

You are correct regarding taxing though. Most new cars call home to the manufacturer on a very regular basis and this data will be the basis of the tax bill.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-03-2018, 11:06 PM   #470
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehunter View Post
Hi OldNuc,

Energy technology has made significant strides these last two years. Not so much from an EV auto technology, but from a cost of energy perspective.

It is now more cost effective for people to generate their own electricity than it is to buy it from the power companies. This is helping the coal mining industry to collapse. Only 5-7 years is needed now to recuperate your costs when installing solar panels on your roof. That is, as long as one can afford the upfront costs, they will break even in 5-7 years. The remaining 20 years of life span of the system and you have free electricity for life.

I don’t have solar panels yet… so I am paying about 5cents per mile for my Leaf transportation costs. (10c/mile is about 40mpg) So after 5-7 years my costs would be notably less than 5cents.

If anybody is thinking about it, don’t gimmick lease your solar system. Buy it else you can get yourself trapped via a few critical contractual details. Another huge benefit to owning your own panels is that if somebody wants to sell their house, potential buyers are willing to pay notably more money than the real cost the system.

So once home electricity storage systems catch up with everything else, we wont need the power company at all and our transportation costs drift closer to zero. I am betting the government finds a way to tax us for using the suns rays so we will see how it goes.

Anybody looking to buy a Leaf? I have heard of people getting them in new-like condition (used for a few years) for $15 grand.

There is a free energy reactor out there available to everyone and it will never ever quit on you. It is called the sun.
I had a Gen1 2013 Chevy volt.
We loved our gen 1 Volt 2013 102K miles 77,148 EV miles all solar powered.

We just sold it and bought 2018 Volt. rated 53 EV miles.
We drove our Gen1 Volt about 18K EV miles a year. We have 12.5 KW DIY solar install that covers our house 100% including charging our car a couple times a day.
EV car and solar install go together very well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark_b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mark_b is offline   Reply With Quote