SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
trouttrooper
trouttrooper has a spectacular aura abouttrouttrooper has a spectacular aura abouttrouttrooper has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2
Default Clutch replacement with a couple pics

I know it's been beat to death and there's other explanations on how to replace the clutch, but more is better right?? So here's my contribution to the forum.

The car: 1997 SL2 167,500 miles. Owned it since Dec. 2012
Symptoms: Will spin the clutch in 4th and 5th if I give too much gas.

I was suspicious that I was dealing with more than just a worn out clutch because it wasn't consistent in how it behaved. I was thinking I had oil contamination as well. I won't go into the step by step details since they are listed in other places. Mainly give my .02c on things I encountered that I hadn't read elsewhere.

Here's the tranny sitting nicely in the wheel well. Be careful of the brake line, I removed the clutch tower because I was worried it would catch the brake line. Yes I have the strut tower removed as well. I was replacing lower control arm and tie rod ends so I was going to need an alignment done anyway. I also struggled with removing the tranny mount block that the left side of the tranny sits on. The bolt on the underside is fairly long so the tranny needs to be lifted up a fair amount to get it out.
saturn 1.jpg

Here is how I supported the engine. Also note I put an aluminum valve cover on as I suspect I had a leak in the back that worked it's way to the clutch. Inspecting the rear main seal showed it to be not leaking. The old clutch was both worn out, and oil contaminated. For those wondering the red strap going through the strut hole is holding the brake assembly up
saturn 2.jpg

Mainly just a pic to show removal of shift tower and slave cylinder. My biggest error came in putting the slave back in. I didn't realize the pin had to be guided into position, I just pushed the assembly in. Yes, first push of the pedal and I blew the pin off. Sooooo, yup had to open it up again to get the pin out.
saturn 3.jpg

It took me a 3 days, but I was also doing other chores at the same time, plus I replaced other parts too. Car now handles soooo much better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trouttrooper's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trouttrooper reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trouttrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Tatohead
Tatohead has a spectacular aura aboutTatohead has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2
Default Re: Clutch replacement with a couple pics

Great pics. Will be helpful when I do this job.

Could the engine not be supported from below (i.e. a jack under the oil pan?), or is it too unbalanced?

Did you have to remove the shift linkage/tower to get it to fit nicely in the space or as insurance on that brake line?

Did you have to lower the cradle at all?

Thanks!

Boise, ID

2000 SL2 5M

MPG Log: 35 / 40+ 5th Gear Swapped! (.605)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tatohead's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tatohead reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
trouttrooper
trouttrooper has a spectacular aura abouttrouttrooper has a spectacular aura abouttrouttrooper has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2

You can support from underneath, but then it gets in the way when you're rolling around underneath getting everything unbolted etc. I found it very helpful to be able to raise and lower the engine/tranny when trying to get the far left tranny mount off.

Others have said it wasn't necessary to remove the tower, but just looking at everything I was concerned about it catching on the brake line. It really wasn't that big a deal to remove.

Did not need to lower the cradle.

This project was really not all that hard as long as you have the proper tools. Just a lot of little things to do.

Hmmm, a Bronco fan maybe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trouttrooper's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trouttrooper reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trouttrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco 5sp Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2

Did you keep in place all the dirt and grime shrouding the transmission and other parts? That stuff acts as good insulation to help keep the heat inside where you dont need it the most.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote