SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #121
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2
Default Re: 1st and 2nd gen mid-penn cam regrinds

Hmmm, 3rd gen engine is coming back apart. So he has grinds for 3 gen. Maybe time to move my car into a truly stupid SCCA class.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #122
ddeuces22
Advanced Member
ddeuces22 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Problem solved.... pickin up a head ported by jay on sixth sphere, completely rebuilt, ready to go minus the cams

96 sl2 stage 1 midpenn cams,91/92 header,2.25 ss exhaust, ported and polished head, groundpounder, sda bones, pimped tranny mount, .40 o/s pistons, .25 u/s rods, .25 u/s crank,19mm progress swaybar

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddeuces22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddeuces22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddeuces22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #123
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Picked up a set of cams at the junkyard today. Now to decide whether to go all out and have them ground, get an SAFC, WBO2, and swap back to a .73 5th gear or just do a dual intake cam swap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #124
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I find cruising at ~80 mph at >35mpg rather nice. Engine turns 3K @80 all indicated. 0.643 gear installed.

You only live once...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #125
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Yes that is nice, but 70 is pushing it around here. There is nary a road here even posted 60. The I465 beltway is 55. You seem to like these cams enough that I will go ahead and try them out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2013, 12:49 AM   #126
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Keep in mind that I have played with this type of cam before so having the low end slightly diminished is to be expected. I also beefed up the clutch. Speed limit in IA is 70 and 75 in Nebraska and I was in Nebraska running back to Omaha from Lincoln on I-80 which is a race track. You can cruise these at 2000 with the 643 gear and 195/60R15 tires but blinding acceleration does not really exist. I have gap between 2000 and 2500 that if in a hurry you have to wind tighter in 4th.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #127
ddeuces22
Advanced Member

1996 SL2

Yeah I'm stuck at 65 up here, much better than 55 though

Just talked to Joe the other day, he'll be receiving my cores on the 9th according to USPS and he said about a 3 day turnaround time.

I still have my 3rd gen 5th gear swap kit, who knows that might end up in the f/s section after all of this!

96 sl2 stage 1 midpenn cams,91/92 header,2.25 ss exhaust, ported and polished head, groundpounder, sda bones, pimped tranny mount, .40 o/s pistons, .25 u/s rods, .25 u/s crank,19mm progress swaybar

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ddeuces22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #128
anmasher

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeuces22 View Post
I still have my 3rd gen 5th gear swap kit, who knows that might end up in the f/s section after all of this!
I certainly wouldn't use that with these cams. It is a great gear for flat highway at 60+, but acceleration becomes a faint memory and you'd have to be hauling *** (like 85+) to get into the power range of these cams.

OldNuc, you say you beefed up the clutch, that isn't totally necessary right? Also are the stock injectors sufficient with tuning?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #129
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I went with a stage 2 clutch kit and stock flywheel. Trans input shaft seal was shot and oiling the clutch quietly. Clutch was ordered before disassembly. Still would go with the clutch upgrade as the stock one is at its limits. I have a set of upgraded injectors and from what PCR and I went through with high RPM fuel requirements and cams it shows that the stock is/was marginal. On a 97 or older you can crank up the pressure regulator and probably declare the stock injectors adequate.

With the 0.643 gear the engine runs very happily at 2800-3000 and with no MAP tweaks tends towards an A/F of 15 or so which gets the best mileage. Forth gear gets more use though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #130
ddeuces22
Advanced Member

1996 SL2

Just wanted to post an update. My cams made it to Joe of American Custom Cam yesterday. He opened them up today and is hoping to get to them by Thursday.
I asked him if these would require a tune and he said no, they are drop in and go. He did also say if i wanted to go with a tune that i could squeeze more power out of them but it wasn't required for the stage 1 cams.

@ Oldnuc i trust your input, you haven't steered me wrong yet. So i will take your advice as well. I didn't want to get anything to tune with until winter or spring, But because of you I will now be purchasing a wide-band and safc2 within the month. What brand do you recommend for a wide-band. I see the innovate and AEM hovering right around the $160 mark on amazon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #131
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I am using this one, http://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Motor...ovate+wideband Innovate MTX-L 3844. It is all in a single package, supports data logging. Cut a hole in the exhaust in front of the cat and weld in the provided bushing. There are recommendations on where to make the install and if you have nothing in the way on top just in front of the fire wall works but as I have a filter close to there I mounted it with only a slight down angle just in front of the hanger bracket with the hole above the pipe center line. Quick job for exhaust shop, cost $20.00 and go. The engine will run without tweaking but you will get tired of that yellow light...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #132
AMR Engineering
AMR Engineering is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

That is a good price.

AMR Engineering
Andy R.
E-mail: info@amrengineering.com
Facebook LIKE US! www.facebook.com/amrengineering
www.amrengineering.com
Phone: 1-888-826-6906

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AMR Engineering's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AMR Engineering reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AMR Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #133
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes, and being all in a relatively thin gauge housing it is not impossible to mount. Quite informative as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #134
ddeuces22
Advanced Member

1996 SL2

do you have any pics of where and how you mounted it? looks like that model got some good reviews, a newer model than the lc-1 and easier to install

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #135
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I took one of those standard old fashioned single gauge panels and mounted the instrument in it and then stuck it between the lower dash cover and dash on the right side, just above the knee. Not ideal but it works. Forget the left side as you will knock it off every time. It really needs a better home but as you may have noticed places for additional instruments is scarce.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #136
dart450r
dart450r is on a distinguished road

nice thread... thanks for the input guys!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dart450r's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dart450r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dart450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #137
ddeuces22
Advanced Member

1996 SL2

Hey oldnuc could you post up what your corrections are at for high and low throttle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #138
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes I will as soon as I get a chance to go write all of them down.

I am thinking of a way to fix the front O2 sensor so it is not as sensitive but still provides some fuel correction off of open loop values. Things would work much better if the front O2 would just go mind its business and quit trying to fix what is not broke. With luck it will be both simple and low cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #139
madeinUSA
madeinUSA is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1998 SW2

Really enjoy this thread, some real interesting information. Where does the Mid-Penn name come from?

'92 SL2 / '91 SC / '06 Cobalt SS (supercharged!)....Proud American driving American made!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madeinUSA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madeinUSA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madeinUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:25 PM   #140
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I believe the person who came up with the original profile lived in central Pennsylvania.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!