SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #221
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1
Default Re: Side gapped plugs, 5th gear swap and IAT mods

Just as amazing to me is the fact that as tech marches on, there is very little "left on the table" as far as tweaks go. It wasn't uncommon just 10-15 years ago that a reputable performance tune would net upwards of 10% in torque and/or HP at the wheels, usually while increasing MPG return. These days the same companies often struggle to get 1-2% change.

DIYguy,

Are you still tweaking with MAP changes or back to IAT only logging? Just curious as we have all strayed a bit from the topic lately.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #222
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: Side gapped plugs, 5th gear swap and IAT mods

At the present time I have the following running in the car-
  • IAT mod at 125 ohms
  • Side gapped NGK plugs at 0.030"
  • MAP output adjusted to be approximately 0.6% lower than local atmospheric.

I got the data I wanted with the IAT mod and plugs over the course of about 15 tank fills.
The improvement definitely held up for the long run.
When I briefly re-connected the actual IAT sensor it immediately went down to pre-mod mileage.
When I put the resistor back in, it went right back to the new plateau.

So the only recent changes are the brand of side-gapped plugs and the slight MAP adjustment.

It may take a few more fills to see if the MAP mod did anything. If so, it doesn't seem to be all that much.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:03 AM   #223
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You need a larger MAP correction.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #224
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
How much of a MAP correction is desirable? Or is this one of those "try and see what happens"

I had two other MAPs laying around. OBDII shows the one in the car and one of the spares showed 29.7 in/hg. The third one showed 29.4 in/hg so I left that one in the car. Too soon to tell, one fillup shows a slight mpg improvement. But I seem to be throwing a rich code more than when I ran the previous MAP so I've got somthing else going on (and running rich even when no code - have a list of things to check, from previous thread w OldNuc/cboss)

Handy reference
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ai...ure-d_462.html

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #225
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Key on engine off use the one that shows the lowest pressure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #226
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Quote:
Perhaps, but this is actually more than 2% lower from what it originally was.
To not see any changes with that much of a correction strikes me as rather odd.

Nonetheless I may try lowering it by another percent or so per tank fill until I see some result or other.

DIYguy

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #227
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Best results are obtained when the change is about 1"hg below actual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #228
DIYguy
Master Member

1997 SC2

That translates to about 3.33% below actual.
I still think I'll try lowering it by 1% per fill.
It will be in that ballpark after only two fills and adjustments.

DIYguy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #229
fmctaurus
fmctaurus is a jewel in the roughfmctaurus is a jewel in the roughfmctaurus is a jewel in the roughfmctaurus is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1

I've gone back to the stock setup, and will use the next few fillups to calibrate the Ultragauge's MPG setting. Once calibrated, it is accurate to better than 0.3 gallons per fillup (10 gallons or more).

I think this will be the most accurate way of determining any mpg changes due to these mods.

I am not seeing any positive results yet, but that may be due to my inconsistent driving patterns from week to week.

Once calibrated, I will add the IAT mod, and see if that calibration setting goes up (bad) or down (good).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fmctaurus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fmctaurus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fmctaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #230
SaturnMoonTitan
SaturnMoonTitan is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
thanks! That was quite the read. I can't wait to get started.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnMoonTitan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnMoonTitan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnMoonTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #231
hotrod205
hotrod205 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

A while back in this topic someone mentioned that they were going to fix their cruise since they had done the 5th swap. Was that ever figured out? Is that possible now or is that an ongoing experiment? Since I'm going to have my engine/trans out for rebuild there will never be a better time for the gear swap, but I'm really going to miss cruise on the highway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hotrod205's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hotrod205 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hotrod205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #232
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

i remember reading somewhere on here that there are 3 ways

1. aftermarket cruise
2. the way diyguy did it
3. the way oldnuc did it

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #233
DIYguy
Master Member

1997 SC2

I ended up removing the MAP mod. It seemed to be hurting my mileage. I'll see what happens with this next fill up and the couple beyond.

DIYguy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #234
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
I ended up removing the MAP mod. It seemed to be hurting my mileage. I'll see what happens with this next fill up and the couple beyond.
How much was it robbing you in MPG?

Lots of good data you've been logging. I'm waiting for you to crack 50+ on a regular basis.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #235
DIYguy
Master Member

1997 SC2

It seemed to cost me around 2 mpg on average over the course of three fills.

It also seemed to run rougher in general after the PCM adapted to it. Nothing specific but it just ran a bit oddly like it couldn't make up its mind what it needed to do at certain times and conditions.

Now that I put the un-modified MAP connection back into place, the 2mpg appears to have returned. But I won't know for sure of course until I get at least 2-3 fills on it.

I actually think I could crack 50 mpg if I only drove 45-55 mph side roads without much traffic. I seem to run along under those conditions while holding speed with 60-70 mpg indicated on the UltraGauge. It was down to 35-45 indicated on the same roads and conditions with the MAP mod installed.

It was not a trivial difference but could have been some fault in the way the UltraGauge calculated mpg's. Then again the fill up data agreed with there being some loss.

DIYguy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #236
Banjoman
Banjoman is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

My driving is mostly around town,cold start short trip, and the IAT mod with a 150 ohm resistor is showing some promise. The GPH reading drops to .26 by the time the temperature is up to 140F, before the mod, it would be in the .32 to .36 range before it was fully warmed up. Hot idle GPH is down to .21 vs. .26. Last fill up gave 29.4 mpg.

I'm going to put on some Michelin Ice X tires this week to get ready for the winter driving, so that may make it hard for actual mileage measuring.

The car starts and drives a bit different, with some minor surging while warming up, but nothing too bad. Great thread! Lots of good stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Banjoman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Banjoman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Banjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #237
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco 5sp Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
I am convinced that the driveway testing data-points, points the way to peak mpg returns. It is clear that one needs to be lean, but how lean is the real question.

Those that would like to make a new tweak, driveway it first and rank the lean-ness to your previous STFT reference points. The goal is to find the peak mpg before the too-far-a-lean-bias becomes counter productive.

All these tweaks are track-able, well studied and understood about what one needs to look for and the answer is seen in this chart. Specific reference is made to a 15.4:1 A/F ratio. This is where we want to be IMHO: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...2&d=1376861090

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:18 AM   #238
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you modify the IAT value and then modify the MAP value the result may deviate from expected. If your objective is to force a leaner condition at <160F ECTS or so then the IAT is about all you have that will do this and not drastically impact the remainder of the operating MAP. It takes about a 10% reduction minimum in MAP signal to do this when the throttle is closed, temp below 160F and RPM between 850 and 1200RPM.

Selecting a lower reading MAP, key on engine off, is the easy way to get a marked increase in mileage without drastically forcing other sensors to the acceptable limit of their range. Selecting components that have outputs that match design is the easy way to get the best overall performance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #239
DIYguy
Master Member

1997 SC2

My point with removing the MAP mod is that the mileage (and running performance) definitely were not headed in the right direction. Time will tell, but it appeared to me that these two mods did not play well together. To my way of thinking however, that has little or nothing to do with cherry picking MAP sensors because unless defective they would all presumably be "in spec", just at different points in the spec tolerance range.

Another line of thinking that no one has tested (that I can tell) is to check the output pressure-to-voltage curves and spans of MAP sensor outputs. Assuming the PCM uses the key-on value as a reference then it probably compares the MAP output as a ratio to that reference. I'd do it that way.

Assuming this is the case, the real differences between MAP sensors would then become the curves and spans, not the power-on readings themselves or even the outputs at one fixed condition (such as idle). This could easily explain the anomalies that ehunter said he saw in his testing and does not in any way negate the results he obtained. There must be curve and span differences between sensors because they are not perfect. Obviously.

The IAT mod absolutely affects idle and cruise fuel consumption rates. There is no doubt about it. But a fixed resistor value may not be the best solution. A possibly better IAT mod option would be a potentiometer and resistor in the cabin replacing the IAT sensor. The resistor would establish the minimum desired resistance (perhaps 120 ohms), the potentiometer would provide the tuning range (maybe 200 ohms). Set it to rich when starting cold and adjust it back to lean after the engine is warmed up. I don't like manual adjustments as a rule preferring automatic systems instead. But it would be quite simple and could be immediately useful for folks in colder climates until some better scheme is devised.

Quote:
My driving is mostly around town,cold start short trip, and the IAT mod with a 150 ohm resistor is showing some promise.
You may want to go lower in resistance. I am currently running 125 ohms, as mentioned earlier. 150 ohms, while safe, is probably not low enough to make a huge difference. You may be a good candidate for an in-cabin adjuster.

I suspect that the PCM really only cares about IAT inputs over a fairly narrow range of resistance. There is a large PCM response difference between 125 and 150 ohms.

DIYguy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #240
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The PCM uses the key on engine off reading to establish pressure at the car. The algorithm then calculates the absolute manifold pressure from that point. Each MAP has a number stamped into it, Saturn uses the 103 MAP, they do have different pressure response curves.

This tuning technique of selecting the MAP and TPS for ideal match to design and correctly flow balancing injectors has been covered in detail here on this forum.

It is entirely possible to specifically tune an engine for maximum efficiency for a specific operating regime at the expense of performance elsewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!