SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
dakota1820
Advanced Member
dakota1820 will become famous soon enough

2002 SC2
1995 SL2
Default why to or not to buy another s series.

my wife is having our second child in May we have my 98 sl2 with 210,000 miles and hers. her saturn needs some work and uses tons of oil so we decided to sell it and buy a newer car. we are going to be spending about 3500 bucks. she will get my car since she doesnt drive near as much as me. things i like about my saturn pretty simple to fix, drives good and is reasonably comfortable. also has been a good car its needed things but nothing that is not normal with the miles and and age. it also gets good fuel economy. things i do not like. the interior. i hate the after though of the stereo and hvac location that whole center piece is dumb. i also hate how most of them burn oil. and i do wish is rode a little softer over big bumps but that is minor. so my question is for having two kids should i buy another one maybe a newer version? or should i move on to other brands. what do you guys think?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dakota1820's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dakota1820 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dakota1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: why to or not to buy another s series.

Softer over bumps? If the floaty POS gets any softer it'll make marshmellows feel stiff.

For $3500 I'd take a 5spd Outback Wagon and the 5-10mpg hit long before I got another S-Series for that price. I'd probably even take an automatic Outback, but I'd rather have full time AWD then the part time the automatic's have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
dakota1820
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
1995 SL2

I own two Saturn's neither are very plushy over big bumps. My moms focus make it kook like a log wagon . I want something easy and not a wallet killer to work on

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dakota1820 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Take that $3500 and invest it in a Chrysler mini van. Make sure you look at only 2 engines (3.3 or 3.8) Don't even think about the 4 or the Mitsu****ti 3.0. The 4 is a dog and the Mits drops valves, leaks oil and smokes better than any Saturn. Really $3500 should buy a decent one. Trust me with a kid you'll NEED it. Or get a full size like any GM with the corporate 3.8. Buick LeSabre, Olds 88/98, or Pontiac GranPrix/Bonneville.
If you decide to go toward the mini van PM me and I can give you LOTS of info as they were what our shop specialized in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Beachbaby902
Advanced Member
Beachbaby902 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1994 SL2

Toyota Previa would be a better minivan. If you can find a low mileage one. Harder to work on but need WAY less work and last a long time.

If i was spending that much i'd probably buy a newer camry or accord. Or even a 6cyl vue.

~My Running Saturns~
94' SL2 130,000 miles RIP (Tree hit it)
00' SW2 170,000 miles
00' SL2 280,000 miles
11' Cruze LTZ 54k totaled
07' Aura XE 25k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Beachbaby902's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Beachbaby902 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Beachbaby902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
dakota1820
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
1995 SL2

well the previa has awful safety ratings. i really dont want a mini van. i would rather have a sedan or wagon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

VUE
2.2 5 speed or 2006-2007 Automatic ...... 2002-2005 Auto RUN!!!! CVT
3.0 SAAB based
3.5 HONDA motor/trans...... trans fluid every 30k

The vue is a great car/SUV it will give you more room than a S-Series and IMO a great overall car

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:38 AM   #8
Gostlrs
Gostlrs is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

For $3500 you can find a ton of cars in that range.

You can pick up a nice Benz, Audi or Volvo at that price.

Pontiac Grand Prix for good as well. I have one. the 3.8L been around for ever. Solid engine & easy to work on.

Current Rides
2006 Pontiac Grand Prix
1994 Nissan Hardbody
1994 Mercury Capri XR2 (#350 of 366 Made)
1993 Saturn SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gostlrs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gostlrs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gostlrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

If you have the luxury of time to search Craigs List for a low mileage S-series from a little old lady who drove it to church every Sunday it may be better to go with the devil you know. An SW might be big enough. .... but if not the right VUE as described above sounds good and I can tell you from a similar situation that a Mopar minivan (shorty [ non 'grand']) feels like a banquet room when moving to it from an S-car. I had to drag my wife kicking and screaming into a 1996 Plymouth Voyager from our 94 SL1 ... until she actually sat in it and then I couldn't get her to come out.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Volvo V70 or 850 wagon.
Rock solid reliable, rock solid safety, poor resale value (good for you)

They are great cars.

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
Take that $3500 and invest it in a Chrysler mini van. Make sure you look at only 2 engines (3.3 or 3.8)
I know you don't want a minivan, but ^ ^ ^ this.

My '99 has over 200k miles, my '02 has a little over 180k. Both trouble-free, stuff that needed replacement is all normal wear/maintenance stuff. Only exception is the AC evaporator on both went out at around 170k.

It's seriously awesome that when it was windy and raining or snowiing, I could get inside the car, close the door, and buckle the kid into the safety seat without us both getting soaked. Another plus on long trips, take out the 3rd seat and you have a crapload of space behind the second row of seats. You can get the kid out, put a blanket in the space, change the diaper and put the kid back into the seat without ever getting out of the car.

And, you'll be able to drive your kids and their friends somewhere without coordinating with the other kids parents as a second driver. You do take a hit on the mpg, though.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostlrs View Post
For $3500 you can find a ton of cars in that range.

You can pick up a nice Benz, Audi or Volvo at that price.

Pontiac Grand Prix for good as well. I have one. the 3.8L been around for ever. Solid engine & easy to work on.

Skip the Benz, audi, or volvo. Replacement parts are $$$

The GM 3.8 is a reliable engine, and should easily reach 250,000+ without any problems if well maintained. If you decide to get another saturn, realize $3500 is the price of a well-maintened, very low mileage saturn (40,000 miles or under) Most s-series rank under $3,000 (unless of course you don't shop around and just buy the first one you see at a dealership )

Dealerships are also a place I would stay far away from. Hardly any offer a warranty in that price range, and they price their cars about 25% over what the car is even worth. And for those that feel safer buying a used car at a dealership, realize you are getting the same cars you see on craigslist, they just clean it up and give you a nice, high price tag

1998 SL2-AMR Strut Bar, AEM CAI, and 119,XXX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Recycled Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Recycled Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Recycled Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

And as far as chrysler mini vans, watch what year you get. Some of the auto trannys are grenades waiting to go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Recycled Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycled Saturn View Post
The GM 3.8 is a reliable engine,
One of the very few times I have been impressed by a GM car... rented a Buick with the 3.8, drove from Pittsburgh, PA to Kalamazoo, MI at 75~80 miles an hour, AC on the entire time (it was 90+ outside, and humid). Filled up the tank before dropping the rental off, mental calculation showed 30+ mpg. Impressive for a plush riding automatic trans car.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #15
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
One of the very few times I have been impressed by a GM car... rented a Buick with the 3.8, drove from Pittsburgh, PA to Kalamazoo, MI at 75~80 miles an hour, AC on the entire time (it was 90+ outside, and humid). Filled up the tank before dropping the rental off, mental calculation showed 30+ mpg. Impressive for a plush riding automatic trans car.
This is the reason my wife has a lesabre, huge car and good gas mileage with all the bells and whistles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #16
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Didn't the Impala also come with a 3.8L as well?

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #17
PeteB
Advanced Member
PeteB is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

I'll throw in another vote for the Buick LeSabre. My wife drives a 97 that we bought in 2005 for $3200 with 25k miles and have been driving the whizz out of ever since. Super reliable, great gas mileage (upper 20s mixed and low 30s on trips). When we first got it, I kept blowing by freeway exits because the car is so comfortable I lost track of the miles; we dubbed it the Magic Carpet. Handles nicely, too, for a big car. Great air and stereo.

Also have a 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PeteB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PeteB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:12 AM   #18
el diablo viejo
el diablo viejo will become famous soon enough

1994 SW1
2000 SW2

Ditto on the Buick or Olds 3.8. My buddy bought a 98 Olds 88 with 60k on it for $ 3500 and it was still going strong at 170k when he sold it. Only normal maintainence. Got 32 on the highway @ 70 -80 mph. He called it the "Living Room".

I have been thinking about getting one for the wife if the right one comes along.

Not sure if the Chevys and Pontiacs are quite as good.

97 sl2 a/t 104 K
1989 GMC 3500 454 129 K, 1969 442 455 rat rod

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to el diablo viejo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help el diablo viejo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
el diablo viejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #19
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

How BIG is that baby going to be??? Maybe get a all-electric car with plastic body panels ...like a Power Wheel.

jk

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #20
tommyt
tommyt is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

I have an unusual perspective on the 3.8 L powered GM cars (Lesaber, Grand Prix, bonneville). I have used a bonneville and a Lesaber in off road Derbys. They can take a serious beating without breaking and they have more power than most cars in there class. They can often get a lot of miles on them without too much trouble, other than the intake manifold.

I also used to have a 3.3L dodge caravan and I was really impressed with it. Low maintenance, had 175k miles on it and it still ran flawless, low cost spare parts but poor gas mileage. I got up to 24 mpg on a good deal (hwy) but usually less. I went with a Subaru forester when I replaced it. I wanted better gas mileage. I do get better gas mileage but it is very cramped on long trips with 2 kids. Plus the seats are very uncomfortable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tommyt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tommyt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tommyt is offline   Reply With Quote