SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
turner1
turner1 is on a distinguished road

Default oil life monitor

hi every one , ive been doing some reading on here about the oil life monitor on my 08 3door astra and was wondering if the ..insp.. reading on the console display is suppose to come on by it self when you first put the key in or do you have to hold down on the console stem for so many seconds to have it come up to display how much longer you have before the next oil change, thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to turner1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help turner1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
turner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
PanVet
PanVet is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2004 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: oil life monitor

With your key out of the ignition and the drivers door open press and hold the stem. After a few seconds you will get the INSP and number of miles left.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PanVet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PanVet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PanVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
turner1
turner1 is on a distinguished road

so to make sure you have to push the stem to find out,, and it doesent come on by itself?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to turner1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help turner1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
turner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
coulombemr
coulombemr is on a distinguished road

it should come on by itself as well. When I am within a 1000km left of oil life mine comes on when i start the car (not sure at which point when I put the keys in the ignition)

This is however the first I'm hearing of the ability to manually check the reading

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to coulombemr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help coulombemr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
coulombemr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enoughTom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

my oil was changed 3000 miles ago. yesterday i tried PanVet's trick and got 6000. That's 9000 between oil changes with dino oil, or about 15000 with synthetic. I am from the old 3000 mile school. there is ford synthetic in the car now. i am afraid to go 9000 miles on any oil.

Thanks PanVet, i was wondering how to check how much is left

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

You will notice that even though it says 6000 miles left, that INSP 1000 will come up well before you travel another 6000, and that even after INSP 1000 comes up, you will only get about a couple of hundred miles before it turns to INSP 0.

2009 Saturn Astra XR3 5-Speed - 77,000KM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kikastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
danger d
danger d is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I did 3 oil changes in 50000km.first at 18000 km. 2nd at 32000 km ant the last one at 44000 km.i wait forcthe insp to appear like they say in the owner manual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danger d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danger d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danger d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:30 AM   #8
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enoughTom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger d View Post
I did 3 oil changes in 50000km.first at 18000 km. 2nd at 32000 km ant the last one at 44000 km.i wait forcthe insp to appear like they say in the owner manual.
I know that you probably are not doing any damage by using the oil life monitor as your guide.

it was drilled into my head from day one that the oil is the life bollod of the motor and must be changed every 3000 miles or the world may come to an end. To me 3000 mile oil changes are like religion to others. There is no proof it must be done/exists, in fact there is scientific proof to the contrary. Yet....

I guess I will run the oil until the oil life monitor says zero then change it. that still is early since the monitor is set up for dino oil and I have full synthetic in the car.

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote