SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #41
ilvtofu
ilvtofu is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XR
Default Re: De-restricting stock airbox

I agree with above post, it would be really helpful thanks in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ilvtofu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ilvtofu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #42
polizzi82
polizzi82 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I thought my home depot mods were specific to my 64-69 mopars. Imma have to try this out.
Any reason people are using white PVC instead of black?
I'm a very visual guy so I'll try helping fellow picture book readers by taking pics every step...
Props to the first guy who thought of this mod!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to polizzi82's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help polizzi82 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
polizzi82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #43
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I've worked with the white before. Since I had to buy a 10' section, I can use the remainder for other projects. It's pretty well hidden, so the color didn't matter. If you want, you can spray it black.

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #44
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

That's the bottom of the air box, the missing picture number 2.

That's the part you're removing.

That's the white clip you're looking for. It's on the underside of the bottom half of the airbox.

That's how I covered the hole left from removing the white clip. After 12,000 miles, it's still holding up fine.

That's the MAF meter housing. It's HUGE. We won't have to upgrade that when upgrading the intake because it's as big as the throttle body.

I hope these pics help. If for ANY reason they don't work, either PM me or send me an email.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vanilla sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #45
dmoser
dmoser is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
Thumbs Up Re: De-restricting stock airbox

Great pics

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmoser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmoser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #46
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

No problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vanilla sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #47
polizzi82

2008 Astra XR
Wrench Re: De-restricting stock airbox

Just finished mine, black worked, angles still fit perfect. My hood is stuck shut (whoops) but sounds good
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzi82 View Post
I thought my home depot mods were specific to my 64-69 mopars. Imma have to try this out.
Any reason people are using white PVC instead of black?
I'm a very visual guy so I'll try helping fellow picture book readers by taking pics every step...
Props to the first guy who thought of this mod!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help polizzi82 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2010, 12:34 AM   #48
polizzi82

2008 Astra XR
Wrench Re: De-restricting stock airbox

Just an update, I unstuck my hood. Just a fyi: make sure your hood release is still connected before shutting the hood. heh, heh.... :P

And my fabric mesh tube didn't have anything goofy in it. I removed it but it didn't seem like it was restricting anything in the first place. Did I miss something?

Quote:
Just finished mine, black worked, angles still fit perfect. My hood is stuck shut (whoops) but sounds good

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #49
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Just an update, I unstuck my hood. Just a fyi: make sure your hood release is still connected before shutting the hood. heh, heh.... :P

And my fabric mesh tube didn't have anything goofy in it. I removed it but it didn't seem like it was restricting anything in the first place. Did I miss something?
You didn't miss anything. The restriction comes with the smaller diameter afforded by the plastic insert that supports the mesh and reduces the diameter of the inlet by about 1/4". While air can flow through the mesh tube, most of it runs into the "wall" right at the end of the tube where the airbox angles up to clear the fender well.

No one seems sure of the purpose of the mesh tube - perhaps an engineer could help answer this. My best guess was a way to slow change the airflow so that sand etc that might have gotten picked up by the intake snorkel would drop to the bottom of the airbox rather than getting caught in the filter element and reduce it's life.

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #50
dmoser
dmoser is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnRaycer View Post
No one seems sure of the purpose of the mesh tube - perhaps an engineer could help answer this.
To reduce the loudness of the intake system. Mesh was probably cheaper.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmoser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmoser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #51
polizzi82

2008 Astra XR
Thumbs Up Re: De-restricting stock airbox

Just fyi, after my Home Depot $7 intake and taking the sleeve out of the air filter box I am getting 5 mpg better. It sounds better, feels like it eeks out some more power, but after going to Vegas over the weekend in under a (little Astra) tank I am convinced it is a worthwhile, very affordable mod.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2010, 05:54 PM   #52
danger d
danger d is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Ill do the mod and post pics tomorrow

2008 Red Astra XR3 5-speeds Sport Handling Package Premium Audio Package 17's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danger d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danger d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danger d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #53
danger d

2008 Astra XR

Snorkel delete done and restriction removed. The sound is not that much more intense but you can hear a difference. The car seems a "little tiny bit more powerfull" from 4k to 6.5k rpm.I dont know about fuel efficiency yet cause I beated the **** of the car to hear it screams.Sorry for the syntax error English is not my first language.

And here are some pulls .The first in second gear and the second video is in third gear (standard tranny)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help danger d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #54
danger d

2008 Astra XR

AHAHH gotcha its not my astra .

Here are some other pics and the 2 videos

second gear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzPYfEwF1fo

third gear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3eynOOD1Ek

Last edited by danger d; 04-17-2010 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: adding a pic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #55
Swordfish
Advanced Member
Swordfish is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

I just had an idea. You know, let's take for example an Impreza STi. Hood scoop for cold air intake. Could we modify our hood to have a hood scoop feed a cold air intake, instead of getting the air from the engine bay?

Marc-Antoine

2009 Astra XE 5-door, Twilight Blue.
"I have four rules in the Astra. No food, no drink, no smoking, and no vomit. Got it? Now... let me just put my coffee in the cup holder..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swordfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swordfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #56
danger d

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
I just had an idea. You know, let's take for example an Impreza STi. Hood scoop for cold air intake. Could we modify our hood to have a hood scoop feed a cold air intake, instead of getting the air from the engine bay?
If you wanna spend 300 bucks for half horse (and a ugly hood ) go for it.In the STI its used to cool the air-to-air intercooler.Not as an air intake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #57
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger d View Post
If you wanna spend 300 bucks for half horse (and a ugly hood ) go for it. In the STI its used to cool the air-to-air intercooler.Not as an air intake.
What he said. That scoop provides air for the intercooler only. Otherwise, the non WRX models couldn't breathe at all.

But you can forget about any "ram air" effect with a custom hood scoop -- unless you regularly plan on using wide open throttle well above legal limits. The stock snorkel area actually is a very good position to receive incoming air, because it is close to the grill (which is both a source of cold and pressurized air).

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #58
Swordfish
Advanced Member

2009 Astra XE

Well, we learn something new every day! I just have trouble accepting the fact that you can modify a Honda Civic or a Mazda 3 to pretty awesome levels, and yet with our car, nothing readily available would help us gain even one HP. Sad.

Marc-Antoine

"I have four rules in the Astra. No food, no drink, no smoking, and no vomit. Got it? Now... let me just put my coffee in the cup holder..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Swordfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #59
Swordfish
Advanced Member

2009 Astra XE

Well, just de-restricted the airbox. and removed the snorkel to replace it by 2.5" steel tubing, slightly elbowed, and well...... not yet finished since I am presently getting air from the tip of the tube, meaning a mix of cold from the front, and hot from the engine.... we'll see how it goes, and if its worth the extra head-ache to add some sort of elbow!

Marc-Antoine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #60
scravn
scravn is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

I purchased my 2008 Saturn Astra back in Nov 2010 and happened to see the posts here on De-Restricting the Air Box and swapping out the snorkle.

Couple of Questions, you mentioned using PVC pipe. Is there a reason for this or will 2" ABS pipe etc work the same?

I assume that there is only the one pipe in the Air box that needs to be removed? Nothing on the top half that needs to come out?

Is there a noticable difference in the cars performance or is this really an wasted exercise.

I am looking to squeeze every once of Performace I can from 4banger thats in the car.

Thanks,

Shawn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scravn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scravn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scravn is offline   Reply With Quote