SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Support Forum for Canadian Saturn Owners
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
danger d
danger d is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default no more Saturn in canada.

http://www.saturnfans.com/company/it...rations-canada

so where do i service my car.

Penske sucks ,I Hope he brankrupt .

2008 Red Astra XR3 5-speeds Sport Handling Package Premium Audio Package 17's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danger d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danger d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danger d is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
nickctn
nickctn is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: no more Saturn in canada.

Well, my Saturn dealership already closed down a couple of months ago and I got transferred to the chevrolet dealership right beside to get my first check up and oil-change done. The first thing I checked after getting my car back was the OLM, and they did reset it properly...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nickctn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nickctn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nickctn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
danger d

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickctn View Post
Well, my Saturn dealership already closed down a couple of months ago and I got transferred to the chevrolet dealership right beside to get my first check up and oil-change done. The first thing I checked after getting my car back was the OLM, and they did reset it properly...

OK thanks. i dont plan to go to dealer except for garanty work or semi anual inspection.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help danger d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
crystal scan
Advanced Member
crystal scan is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger d View Post
http://www.saturnfans.com/company/it...rations-canada

so where do i service my car.

Penske sucks ,I Hope he brankrupt .
at the chevy dealer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crystal scan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crystal scan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crystal scan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
jon_e_quest
jon_e_quest is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2009 AURA XR

So where will left over inventory go? U.S. dealers?

Sold:
2008 Astra XR3
2009 Aura XR6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jon_e_quest's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jon_e_quest reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jon_e_quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #6
Mil
Mil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
OK thanks. i dont plan to go to dealer except for garanty work or semi anual inspection.
Saturn dealers are still available trough december 31st.
After that, you will have to go to any GM Dealer.
In my case, it's good news since the closest Saturn dealer is located about 70 km away from my home, while there is a chevy and buick dealer about 20 km away from my home.
It will be easier for me to get my parts.
Anyway Danger D, did you try to get an appointment at your Saturn dealer lately?
You better plan a 2-week delay.
That's what happened to me, 2-week delay for an appointment to replace a bad horn.
I got tired and replaced it all by myself.
I didn't like the way the oem one sounded anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #7
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digency View Post
Saturn car owners in Canada will still be able to get their cars serviced after their local stores close. Saturn's customer service, parts, and warranty operations will transfer to other General Motor dealerships.

This is whats concerns me, will the GM dealerships rotate my tires, and give me a free car wash and reset my odometer properly with my oil change? I don't think so.
why wouldnt they? if they can rotate tires of other cars they are qualified to rotate yours. if they car wash their other cars, yours will be no exception. It gets washed the same way. and if they had to learn how to reset the OLM on other gm cars, they'll be told how to reset it on yours. they cant do any different of a job than the techs at saturn did. Its not like they were specialty trained or anything, or the car is some special foreign import.

Saturn is GM remember. Chev is GM, Pontiac is GM, GMC, etc. Its all GM. Its not like Saturn was a separate company. Just a separate division. All hell isnt going to break loose because some other group of techs work on your car instead, especially since at that point they have to. It will make no difference because at the end of the day, they all do the same stuff, and all follow the same tech docs theyve been given access to, to work on your car. They all follow the same GM procedures. Its not like your going from GM to Volvo for your work, or VW, or Toyota etc. You are still within the same Manufacturer.

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Layoira's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
semi anual inspection.
See your proctologist for that...

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:12 AM   #9
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
They will not rotate my tires and wash my car for free like Saturn used to, they will charge me extra just for rotating my tires.
You got free tire rotations from your dealer?

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
unkle bik
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Yes, my dealership, or the one I went to was run by family so they went the extra mile to keep their customers by providing free tire rotations and car washes with every oil change.
That's pretty decent (well, it was).

Our dealer charges somewhere between $30-35 usd for tire rotations. Car washes are still free, though. My tire dealer still offers free tire rotation & balancing for the life of the tires.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #11
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

DangerD, you can still get your Astra fix in Canada. Opel (part of Magna) will be sold there. I suspect that you are getting the better deal since Penske will source vehicles where ever he can once the Aura, Vue and Outlook end their runs in 2010. This means that what US Saturn dealers sell won't necessarily be consistent from year to year. The tech's will have to learn and relearn product because the vendors will change. Granted, they're supposed to be Saturn experts, but now they only need worry about 7 lines-all from the same manufacturer.

As for warranty and service- like everyone else has already said; find a local GM dealer, they will be honoring the warranties.

Digency, you are a lucky person to get free tire rotations. I don't think it's worth $30-35 to do what I can do in the same time in my garage for free.

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
kbg1
kbg1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnRaycer View Post
DangerD, you can still get your Astra fix in Canada. Opel (part of Magna) will be sold there. I suspect that you are getting the better deal since Penske will source vehicles where ever he can once the Aura, Vue and Outlook end their runs in 2010. This means that what US Saturn dealers sell won't necessarily be consistent from year to year. The tech's will have to learn and relearn product because the vendors will change. Granted, they're supposed to be Saturn experts, but now they only need worry about 7 lines-all from the same manufacturer.

As for warranty and service- like everyone else has already said; find a local GM dealer, they will be honoring the warranties.

Digency, you are a lucky person to get free tire rotations. I don't think it's worth $30-35 to do what I can do in the same time in my garage for free.
i would not yet bet the farm on magna getting opel.
i hope it happens and they sell opels.
there is a lot of resistance internally at gm to this sale.
some say gm would be better off to let opel go into bankruptcy than sell to magna.

i know one thing,if penske really does shut saturn canada down and later decides to start selling cars here again he fails miserably.

jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kbg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kbg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kbg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
danger d

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil View Post
Anyway Danger D, did you try to get an appointment at your Saturn dealer lately?
You better plan a 2-week delay.
That's what happened to me, 2-week delay for an appointment to replace a bad horn.
I got tired and replaced it all by myself.
I didn't like the way the oem one sounded anyway.

Yes it was 9 days delay for an oil change.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #14
unkle bik
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Yes it was 9 days delay for an oil change.
Why don't you do it yourself?

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-03-2009, 04:02 AM   #15
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
They will not rotate my tires and wash my car for free like Saturn used to, they will charge me extra just for rotating my tires.
I don't think I would be too disappointed to lose a free dealer done car wash by going somewhere else, but any decent dealership will still wash your car for free.

Free tire rotations, you were lucky, but it depends what you had done, and when it is you are getting these free tire rotations for them to be considered free. If you went in and had just an "oil change" or other service work done, or simply just went in and wanted your tires rotated and/or balanced you would probably have to pay for them. If you went in for your scheduled "oil change" aka your semi annual inspection, the tire rotation is included as part of your "inspection" that is done when you get your oil changed.

Besides, I also wouldnt be too bent up about not getting that for free either. because its the easiest thing to do yourself, and in all honesty you are probably better off doing it yourself sometimes because at least then you know your wheels are torqued properly.

The last time Saturn changed one of my wheels for a new mounted tire, the chick didnt torque it right and must have just buzzed it on with the gun, ignoring proper torque. It wouldnt suprise me though, because she also damaged my rim when mounting the tire, not paying attention to its position on the machine and it scratched a nice arch along the outer edge of my rim, which I had them fix.

Im sure alot of techs cut corners here and there since everything is about speed, in and out, as many cars done as you can. That damn wheel was on so tight I couldn't get it off, not even the boyfriend who is probably twice my size and probably 10x my strength could get it off. It took the two of us together to get it unbolted, and it wasnt easy.

So I always torque my own wheels now even if the rotation was done by Saturn during an oil change.

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

Last edited by Layoira; 09-03-2009 at 04:14 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #16
Germane German
Germane German is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layoira View Post
I don't think I would be too disappointed to lose a free dealer done car wash by going somewhere else, but any decent dealership will still wash your car for free.

Free tire rotations, you were lucky, but it depends what you had done, and when it is you are getting these free tire rotations for them to be considered free. If you went in and had just an "oil change" or other service work done, or simply just went in and wanted your tires rotated and/or balanced you would probably have to pay for them. If you went in for your scheduled "oil change" aka your semi annual inspection, the tire rotation is included as part of your "inspection" that is done when you get your oil changed.

Besides, I also wouldnt be too bent up about not getting that for free either. because its the easiest thing to do yourself, and in all honesty you are probably better off doing it yourself sometimes because at least then you know your wheels are torqued properly.

The last time Saturn changed one of my wheels for a new mounted tire, the chick didnt torque it right and must have just buzzed it on with the gun, ignoring proper torque. It wouldnt suprise me though, because she also damaged my rim when mounting the tire, not paying attention to its position on the machine and it scratched a nice arch along the outer edge of my rim, which I had them fix.

Im sure alot of techs cut corners here and there since everything is about speed, in and out, as many cars done as you can. That damn wheel was on so tight I couldn't get it off, not even the boyfriend who is probably twice my size and probably 10x my strength could get it off. It took the two of us together to get it unbolted, and it wasnt easy.

So I always torque my own wheels now even if the rotation was done by Saturn during an oil change.
Just to pile on a little, improperly torqued wheel lugs are a leading cause of warped brake rotors to my understanding so it does matter. Also you just know they will lose or destroy the little black plastic lug bolt covers. And losing free tire rotations and car washes pale in importance compared to a new motor, transmission or even 'small' items like an electric lock or window motor that should still be covered under warranty at your GM dealership. Lastly, I'm curious, does this mean all our Canadian Astra owners are busily gluing the little "GM" logo squares back on to the sides of their car doors? ;>)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Germane German's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Germane German reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Germane German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #17
unkle bik
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layoira View Post
If you have to go through all that and have scratched rims, why bother going to the dealer for an oil change & rotation?

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #18
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germane German View Post
Lastly, I'm curious, does this mean all our Canadian Astra owners are busily gluing the little "GM" logo squares back on to the sides of their car doors? ;>)
Not me. I doubt any of the local non-Saturn GM dealers even know they were factory on our Saturns.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #19
danger d

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik View Post
Why don't you do it yourself?
cause all i do in my life is working on tanks and/or military vehicles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #20
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germane German View Post
Just to pile on a little, improperly torqued wheel lugs are a leading cause of warped brake rotors to my understanding so it does matter. Also you just know they will lose or destroy the little black plastic lug bolt covers. And losing free tire rotations and car washes pale in importance compared to a new motor, transmission or even 'small' items like an electric lock or window motor that should still be covered under warranty at your GM dealership. Lastly, I'm curious, does this mean all our Canadian Astra owners are busily gluing the little "GM" logo squares back on to the sides of their car doors? ;>)
Well said. Improperly torqued wheels do alot of damage.

As for the badges, I dont even know where they are so mine wont be going back on

~Christina~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!