SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
snowman04976
snowman04976 is on a distinguished road

Heart I hate crutchfield!!! 6-1/2's all around?

Hey guys, new here with an 04 3.5 AWD bought used with 33K on it... well I have been browsing for a few months now, just never signed up.

I didnt browse and search enough though... crutchfields fit guide steered me into buying 5.25" speakers all around. I pulled a door panel off today when the speakers arrived and lets just say I was less than pleased. I installed one rear new speaker just to compare to the other side.. great difference in clarity but no bass. I am not looking for shaking the polymer out of the plastic kind of bass... I have that in my other rig. But, I do want to be able to hear something below 100HZ!

After some searching around here I see alot of people talking about 6-1/2" coax's. I only had my right rear interior panel off today and I can see 6.5" will work... I may have to grind a little (4" grinder should do it). Has anyone had mounting depth issues in the rear door?? Sure, there is plenty with the window up, but if the magnet diameter is too big, the window might hit the speaker...? Is there plenty of room in the front door panels too?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snowman04976's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snowman04976 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snowman04976 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
snowman04976

Default Re: I hate crutchfield!!! 6-1/2's all around?

Reply to my own rant...

I will be fitting the 6-1/2's. Why does crutch advertise 5.25!? I dont want to downgrade my sound with new speakers!?! Can someone confirm that all 4 door speakers screw right in with a little drilling for future reference?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help snowman04976 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
racerdain
racerdain is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1993 SL2

6 1/2" all around is correct. Most of them have littel "ears" that extend up to where the original push pins went in for the original speakers. They should include some 'speed nuts' that will go on the door and screws to go with them. My Sony's did anyway. No cutting, no drilling.

Mike Moore
Saturn of Tiffany Springs
Parts Manager

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to racerdain's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help racerdain reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
racerdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #4
snowman04976

Great thanks... I guess I dont really hate Crutchfield. Their customer service is top notch, but the fit guide has spec'd me smaller speakers for 2 vehicles now...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2006, 02:54 PM   #5
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

I looked up speakers for my 2002 SC2 on Crutchfield and they show both 6-3/4" and 5-1/4" will fit in the front doors and rear deck. Odd. I've only used "oversize" 6-1/2" (aka 6-3/4") in my 92 SC and 96 SC2. perhaps some of the 5-1/4" have mounting tabs that fit the same opening? Dunno. Crutchfield has been good to me. Their prices are the same as Best Buy and Circuit City, but Cruthfield included free installation guides, wiring harness, speaker adaptors, and mounting kits so I could install the radio and speaker without cutting.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 05:00 PM   #6
xxdjkslayxx
xxdjkslayxx is on a distinguished road

6 1/2's all around will do....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xxdjkslayxx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xxdjkslayxx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xxdjkslayxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 05:59 PM   #7
snowman04976

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2
I looked up speakers for my 2002 SC2 on Crutchfield and they show both 6-3/4" and 5-1/4" will fit in the front doors and rear deck. Odd. I've only used "oversize" 6-1/2" (aka 6-3/4") in my 92 SC and 96 SC2. perhaps some of the 5-1/4" have mounting tabs that fit the same opening? Dunno. Crutchfield has been good to me. Their prices are the same as Best Buy and Circuit City, but Cruthfield included free installation guides, wiring harness, speaker adaptors, and mounting kits so I could install the radio and speaker without cutting.
I wish it had told me that for the Vue in the first place!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2006, 01:53 AM   #8
6thirty8
6thirty8 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
2006 VUE 3.5L

I too followed Cruchfield's advice and purchased 5-1/4" speakers for my '05 VUE RL. I installed Audiobahn ACS2050N two-way speakers in the rear doors and Audiobahn ABC525T component speakers in the front. (The 1" tweeters needed some minor Dremmel tool work to fit in the stock location.) I'm sure that 6-1/2"s would have fit but these speakers work beautifully. To satisfy my need for BASS, I mounted a Kenwood KSC-SW1 enclosed powered sub-woofer under the front passenger seat, attached to the seat frame. Fits perfectly, has a remote control so I can fine tune the bass as needed. They are all feed from a Pioneer head unit with a Pioneer XM tuner. I couldn't be any happier with this set-up and sometimes I find it hard to turn off the music and leave the VUE. I must give credit to Cruchfield, great system, great price, clear instructions, all needed parts, quick shipping and knowlegeble staff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 6thirty8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 6thirty8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
6thirty8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 01:42 PM   #9
snowman04976

It fits under the seat??? That sounds like a great sub solution to me. I wouldnt expect it to pound like my sealed audiobahn 12 with 1200watts on it does (in my other vehicle)... The custom installs I have seen here are nice but I still wouldnt want a bunch of stuff sitting on top of the sub-grille (rattles & terrible noises with stuff ontop of a woofer).

How much did that unit cost you? I would have lived with the 5.25s if I was planning to install a sub right away... but I might just let this Vue turn into the family car and not put a sub in...we'll see.

I am trying to keep this PG, but I bet my wife would love road trips if I have that sub installed!!! Throw in a bass CD- Howard Stern?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2006, 11:18 AM   #10
mpbrown18
mpbrown18 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman04976
It fits under the seat??? That sounds like a great sub solution to me. I wouldnt expect it to pound like my sealed audiobahn 12 with 1200watts on it does (in my other vehicle)... The custom installs I have seen here are nice but I still wouldnt want a bunch of stuff sitting on top of the sub-grille (rattles & terrible noises with stuff ontop of a woofer).

How much did that unit cost you? I would have lived with the 5.25s if I was planning to install a sub right away... but I might just let this Vue turn into the family car and not put a sub in...we'll see.

I am trying to keep this PG, but I bet my wife would love road trips if I have that sub installed!!! Throw in a bass CD- Howard Stern?
Dude, I got my entire system on ebay and a sub from circuit city. I got a pioneer head unit, speakers and 12' sub in a sealed box. I bought a 1.5 farad cap (only wanted 1 farad, but it was actually cheaper to buy a 1.5) an MTX 250 watt amp (mounted under the back seat) and the sealed box sounds great. Maybe you'd like to look for the factory 8' sub enclosure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mpbrown18's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mpbrown18 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mpbrown18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #11
snowman04976

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbrown18
Dude, I got my entire system on ebay and a sub from circuit city. I got a pioneer head unit, speakers and 12' sub in a sealed box. I bought a 1.5 farad cap (only wanted 1 farad, but it was actually cheaper to buy a 1.5) an MTX 250 watt amp (mounted under the back seat) and the sealed box sounds great. Maybe you'd like to look for the factory 8' sub enclosure.

A 12 foot sub! That would be sweet ... I know you mean 12 inch though. I did get most of my stuff off of ebay as well for my other vehicle. I like the idea of the factory box... where does the factory enclosure go?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2006, 05:23 PM   #12
mpbrown18
mpbrown18 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman04976
A 12 foot sub! That would be sweet ... I know you mean 12 inch though. I did get most of my stuff off of ebay as well for my other vehicle. I like the idea of the factory box... where does the factory enclosure go?
HAHA!!!

The factory enclosure goes in right rear compartment hole. If you're at the dealership check out the floor model vue, it'll probabily have one. I've seen people purchase one and add an amp wired somewhere else. My amp is really small and fits perfectly under the back seat. Do a search for "factory subwoofer" and you'll probabily find pics.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mpbrown18's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mpbrown18 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mpbrown18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:25 PM   #13
jjl303
jjl303 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know if 5 1/4s will fit in the factory Vue speaker openings without brackets? Please let me know!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jjl303's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jjl303 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jjl303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:14 PM   #14
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

Crutchfield has always treated me right. They are located about 100 miles from me in Charlottesville, VA so I have to stick up for them

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:21 PM   #15
dmfgoo
dmfgoo is on a distinguished road

Not so long ago, I had surgery on my knee. I had a meniscus tear. Even before the operation, the doctor said to buy crutches. Of course, due to my non-competence in this matter, I relied on the recommendations of crutches reviews. I was completely satisfied with the choice made. Guys, if you have purchased, I think you should not be afraid to watch reviews on the Internet. Sometimes reviews help to understand which product is better to buy, and which one is not even worth paying attention to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmfgoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmfgoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmfgoo is offline   Reply With Quote