SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2019, 12:40 PM   #101
cantom
cantom is a jewel in the roughcantom is a jewel in the roughcantom is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1
Default Re: Well darn, my '99 SL2 laps oil like a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
If the valve cover itself is warped and was not replaced, a new gasket could temporarily fix the issue only for it to appear again, or the cover could have warped. Checking is free and easy, takes a few seconds (use clean paper towel to wipe area, should be dry).

It's common / normal to rule out new parts or things that were recently serviced, but search around and you will see that sometimes the new part was faulty out of the box. My approach to troubleshooting is usually start with the cheapest methods / likeliest things
I don't know how rapidly you are losing oil, but a drop of oil every few hours may not leave a pool or puddle but over the course of a week can add up, especially when added to the normal oil-burning you get from driving highway speeds.

That's good news.

Is it the original OEM PCV valve, and does it rattle when shaken? I've never had a problem (replaced the PCV with a fixed orifice one in my 98) but some threads have shown the PCV to occasionally be the cause of inexplicable oil burring. A few folks have said that the current PCV valves sold will fit but have a wrong spring rate or something.
Okay. It is the valve cover gasket. Leaking like a good thing. I paid to get it done a year ago but will not be going back there again. They also used a fair bit of black RTV...a very sloppy job. I hope they even put a new gasket in.

I just watched a video on youtube on replacing the gasket and 2 grommets. Simple enough but...did I read on here that the OEM covers warp and cause leaking?
Someone suggested getting the cast cover from an earlier Saturn because it's less likely to warp?
This is a 2001 SL1 SOHC.

Likely that I need to source a different cover?

I wonder if someone has one of the good covers they'd sell and ship reasonably?

PCV valve rattles and is like new.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cantom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cantom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cantom is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2019, 12:55 PM   #102
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantom View Post
Okay. It is the valve cover gasket. Leaking like a good thing. I paid to get it done a year ago but will not be going back there again. They also used a fair bit of black RTV...a very sloppy job. I hope they even put a new gasket in.

I just watched a video on youtube on replacing the gasket and 2 grommets. Simple enough but...did I read on here that the OEM covers warp and cause leaking?
Someone suggested getting the cast cover from an earlier Saturn because it's less likely to warp?
This is a 2001 SL1 SOHC.

Likely that I need to source a different cover?

I wonder if someone has one of the good covers they'd sell and ship reasonably?

PCV valve rattles and is like new.
I see you specified SOHC (2001 SL1).

I believe the warped covers affect only the DOHC engine and specifically 95-98 (maybe 94) where they were made of composite rather than aluminum. You can put an aluminum from an earlier model on to resolve. The 99-02 DOHC used composite as well an you cannot use an earlier model as the head changed to the narrow head. If I recall they aren't an issue like the 95-98's as far as warping goes.

The SOHC on the other hand had aluminum valve covers throughout its entire run 91-02.

<< you may want to update your profile to add the 2001 SL1 so others don't think you are talking about the 99 SL2. Look in the left sidebar of your posts.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 11-26-2019 at 01:01 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:38 PM   #103
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

This is a how to written by a (at the time) trained Saturn tech
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26532

At one point, apparently there was no gasket for SOHC engines and they used RTV only, but since then a gasket became available.

Instead of Brake Kleen, I'd use something that member OldNuc recommended - plain acetone ($3 or so at Walmart, in the nail polish section - make sure is unscented, no stuff added, etc) for cleaning the surfaces

Aluminum, as trottida mentioned. Although it will not warp, if there is a chance it has been dropped or something, you can place it on a perfectly flat surface and move it around, looking for gaps in contact

Note that several people say that the book spec for torque is too tight (resulting in snapped bolts) and suggest a lower value
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222157

edit: I've also never washed the inside of the covers when doing this. I guess I am not that particular, or my covers weren't that dirty? Though wiping / scraping off big chunks isn't a bad idea

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:15 PM   #104
cantom
cantom is a jewel in the roughcantom is a jewel in the roughcantom is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1

Ah, okay, originally no gasket?

At any rate, apparently using a Fel Pro blue gasket, the job was done yesterday by my local shop and I see no sign of leaking. Maybe I can stop adding oil now...I hope.

2001 SL1 SOHC
Canada

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cantom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cantom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:57 AM   #105
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantom View Post
Ah, okay, originally no gasket?

At any rate, apparently using a Fel Pro blue gasket, the job was done yesterday by my local shop and I see no sign of leaking. Maybe I can stop adding oil now...I hope.
Correct, from what I have read - no gasket originally. But apparently, removing the cam cover was a real PITA because of the RTV - involving razors, prying, hoping nothing cracks, and cussing.

Good news that it seems to have fixed the worse leak, thanks for the followup. Keep an eye on the oil level, though - AFAIK, I have no leaks and I am adding 6~9 oz of oil a week (about 250 miles hwy) to keep it slightly above the FULL mark on the dipstick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #106
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enoughNWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
I am adding 6~9 oz of oil a week (about 250 miles hwy) to keep it slightly above the FULL mark on the dipstick
You are filling to just above FULL or just above the hashmarks?

1999 SL2 A4 -86k miles
Currently sipping Mobil 1 & LiquiMoly mos2

TCW3 dosed fuel

https://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #107
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSaturn247 View Post
You are filling to just above FULL or just above the hashmarks?
Whoops, I phrased that poorly. Just above the hashmarks, around the "U" in the word FULL

By the time I check the next week, I am usually back down to the top of the hashmarks, maybe one diamond below

Not my pic, but this is what I am calling the FULL mark
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (66.2 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2019, 05:13 PM   #108
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enoughNWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Thank you for the clarification. For the record, I often topped off my oil to FULL on my '93. Did not seem to be an issue to the day I sold it at 189k miles

The first person to see and test drive it, purchased it
She drove it quite aggressively putting the car through a torture test. SOLD LOL

1999 SL2 A4 -86k miles
Currently sipping Mobil 1 & LiquiMoly mos2

TCW3 dosed fuel

https://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:40 PM   #109
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

I always fill to the "U" or 1st "L" of FULL on all 4 of
my S-Series for the past several years. Zero issues.

BTW I can hear when it's down to the 2nd or 3rd
crosshatch; engine sounds slightly more "raw".

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote