SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2005, 01:33 AM   #1
tech kjr
tech kjr is on a distinguished road

Dizzy trans swap

I reasonly purchased a 95 SL1 with a bad trans(no reverse) I replaced it with a junkyard unit out of a 94 SL1 and at first it shifted then it went into what I think was Fail Safe,the service soon light came on and it stopped shifting.I got another used unit from a 96 twin cam and the exact same thing happen.I was thinking of trying to swicth the valve body from the 94.Please Help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tech kjr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tech kjr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tech kjr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1
Default Re: trans swap

neither will work. read http://www.turbosaturns.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2211

you should shop at a junkyard with a hollanders interchange.

You MUST keep automatics matched to their motors, SOHC to SOHC and vice versa. They have different ratios and the computer will complain.

95-02 trannies are the same (from what i read on this site, double check) as long as you match motors so your 96 twin cam won't work.

94 is a different animal so despite it being sohc it won't work.

If you just want the car to move now with minimal effort you could try running the 96 twin cam computer but you'll have a check engine light due to no rear o2 sensor and you'll have to swap injectors and some other stuff. The ignition timing curves are off a bit between sohc and dohc but again, from what i read, the car will run. The frankenstein you create will have a short top gear and that'll buzz the sohc motor and waste gas.

sorry you're going through all this work.

Last edited by eljefino; 12-18-2005 at 12:33 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 12:33 PM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Actually 95-97 SOHC autos are the same. Those can be interchanged. Putting the 94 valvebody into the 95 transmission will cause the same problems.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:56 AM   #4
tech kjr
tech kjr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn
Actually 95-97 SOHC autos are the same. Those can be interchanged. Putting the 94 valvebody into the 95 transmission will cause the same problems.

Thank you guys for all of your info and input I really appreciate it,what do you guys suggest I do at this point? Should I just try building the orignal unit that had no reverse? And if the valve body in the 95 SOHC unit is no good can I use the one off the 96 DOHC and just change the electrical connector on top of the vavle body?

Last edited by tech kjr; 12-20-2005 at 01:06 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tech kjr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tech kjr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tech kjr is offline   Reply With Quote