SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue

Old 06-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
muminiasty
muminiasty is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default 2008 VUE v6 Oil change questions

What is the best approach to change oil filter? Is there a way to grab it with your hand?? I would aways do the change through front bottom but that required for my hand to be really bruised. Any ideas?
muminiasty is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
Sweepspear
Sweepspear is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: 2008 VUE v6 Oil change questions

What I do is remove the lower air damn / splash guard.
You can then easily reach the filter.
After having done it several times I can now take that piece off in just a couple of minutes.
Dale

"Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls". Stirling Moss
Sweepspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:18 AM   #3
Vueme44
Vueme44 is on a distinguished road

Thank you. Ive looked everywhere to confirm removing airdam is easiest way to change this v6 2008 vue. So many vidoes on other sites but not what i was looking for. Thanks again
Vueme44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line

Will give you an alternative strategy as I have changed the oil in my '09 Vue Redline since new and I don't like taking off the front lower valence for access every time.

I too like many that own these cars have anguished over this. Ergonomically almost impossible to get up there with your hand. That said, most overtighten their oil filters including me as a precaution over the years...we don't want them to come loose of course.

So...after a lot of research for oil filter removal tools including cumbersome band filter clamps...hammering a screw driver horizontally through the filter wall which is impossible above the subframe of this car....click on below for the best solution. It is like a steel human hand with leverage for clamping. Stronger than my finger strength. So reach up there with claw 'vertical'...doesn't have to be horizontal to ground...and will spin the filter loose. Then use your hand to loosen the rest of the way. Reverse for installation. Refill the filter with oil...about 1/2 or so because of the angle and thread up hand tight which is severely limited with your hand up there...and 1/4 of a turn with the large channel lock pliers again claw vertical and not horizontal to ground. They are like big tongs with great grip pressure. Not too much pressure. You don't want to dent the oil cannister.

Hope that helps. Dry starts are bad for the engine so pre fill the fresh filter as much as you can without spilling on the ground. Also use fresh oil on the seal for best seal.

This approach works flawless. I don't drive my car much so only change the oil once a year or a little more. Rest of the time I use the pliers to remove lids from glass jars. I still have good hand strength in my advancing years, but don't want to hurt the tendons and I choose leverage. I am a mechanical engineer who worked at the GM tech center FWIW.

A last note. Many don't know a lot about the 3.6L engine with 4V per cylinder and dual timing chains. Change your oil. Change your oil. Said it twice. These engines go big miles ONLY if you change the oil a lot. Also change your air filter. A plugged air filter will suck the oil into the intake of the motor, starve the engine for oil and ruin the motor. These engines mostly fail due to low oil level and/or dirty oil which cokes and sludges ruining top and bottom end.
Check your oil level every 2 gas fill ups. Check your oil and if dark, change it. Do not run these engines low on oil.

Hope that helps. PS. mine doesn't use any measurable oil between oil changes but has been meticulously maintained. I don't drive it easy. I grew up building muscle cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg channel lock piliers.jpg (50.7 KB, 8 views)
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:14 PM   #5
mlbchitown
mlbchitown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm7 View Post
Will give you an alternative strategy as I have changed the oil in my
Hope that helps. PS. mine doesn't use any measurable oil between oil changes but has been meticulously maintained. I don't drive it easy. I grew up building muscle cars.
Thank you.
mlbchitown is offline   Reply With Quote