Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-05-2009, 12:31 AM   #1
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2
Default Slow feeling first and 2nd gear, manual trans

Hey everyone.. I have my suspicions about what is causing this problem, but I'm not sure if anyone has some experience with this, so I thought I'd ask first.

Got the stainless steel shifter bushing off eBay, (nice part, thanks very much) and installed it on a new shifter ass'y I pulled from an 01 or 02 SC1 coupe at the local J/Y. (It was in nice shape, no slop) I let the JB-Weld set over night and all is well.

I installed it in my car the same way the other one came out, and everything is working. My issue is now for some reason it feels like first and 2nd gear are pushing through molasses for lack of a better term. The rest of the gears are smooth and effortless, but first and 2nd are just SLOW feeling when you are engaging, with the car both ON or OFF.

I think it might be something to do with my old shifter having way too much slop, and the new one just not meshing properly with my original cables, etc.

Car is a 96 SL2 5 speed, new trans fluid (Amsoil) and new stainless bushing installed on the mentioned newer shifter assembly.

Any insight from anyone? Hope I didn't miss any details.
1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
AtlanticBeach
AtlanticBeach is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Default Re: Slow feeling first and 2nd gear, manual trans

Put the stuff back like it was originally and hope you can get a refund.
AtlanticBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
captsam
captsam is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1996 SL2

I replaced mine with the machined Delrin bushing. I also bought on EBay.

I'm guessing either the JB Weld was a bit thick, or the part wasn't machined correctly. In either case, it sounds like the little elbow joint isn't "flexing" properly. You'll likely have to go back in there and pry the part back out and do it again. If not, keep it and get the Delrin (Polymer) bushing on EBay and swap it out when it arrives. Mine snapped into place with a small C-Clamp... and it works great.
captsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
SLCraig
Master Member

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

I can't imagine how the stainless bushing could be at fault, all the other gears, 3,4,5,R are unaffected. I thought it had more to do with replacing the shifter assembly than anything.

I'll open up the console again today and poke around some more..
1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
Old 08-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
captsam
captsam is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1996 SL2

If it shifted okay with the original bushing... the new bushing is definitely suspect. Without the shifter, we're actually only pulling steel cables back and forth to actuate the shift. There is a pivot point just above where the bushing goes... and for some reason that is probably where the problem lies. With the cover off, move the shifter side-to-side while in Neutral and you'll see which pivot point I mean.

For some reason (whatever it may be), the shifter is NOT being allowed to pull the cable forward and back in 1st and 2nd gear. You'll probably figure it out quickly when you look inside again. Good luck.

Sam
captsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
ChiliPepperSC2
ChiliPepperSC2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

After installing the stainless steel shifter bearing in my car, I had no trouble shifting. There was a slight stick feel change for 2nd and 5th, but other than that everything moved like stock. The slight change in geometry may have caused something operating marginally to now operate poorly. Or maybe you have a electrical harness branch routed incorrectly that's hanging up those gears.
1996 SC2 DOHC Manual
Oct '10 220,000+ on odometer, 44,000+ on rebuilt engine
It took 13 years for my car to go as far as light goes in one second
:O)
ChiliPepperSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

I recently experienced similar balkiness with getting into 1st gear (all other gears just fine, and like you, I've upgraded the tranny fluid to Transynd synthetic). I took apart the shift console expecting to see the classic loose shifter bushing (which I have the SS replacement part for, but didn't install).

Turned out the OEM plastic bushing is in fine shape, although the left-side cable assembly was a bit sluggish. (This is the cable that moves back and forth as you move shift gates from left to right in the shift pattern.) I lubed the cable sheaths with some powdered mica (of which I now have enough supply to handle the needs of every North American S-series owner -- thanks OldNuc!). I also checked the underhood linkage at the transmission, and the grease there was pretty dirty/gritty, so I cleaned it up as best I could and lubed it with some lightweight teflon grease (TriFlow).

Seems to work better now. You might try checking all the underhood linkage for dirt/crud/loose cable clips and see if that helps. I meant to take a few photos, but it was just too darn hot that day.....

Let us know how you get on.
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
SLCraig
Master Member

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

I'll post a ride report later tonight when I get home.

What I did:

Got a new gasket for the shift tower on the trans from Saturn this morning.
Replaced shift tower with one I pulled from a wrecker car, cleaned it up all nice and made sure there was good play (less than the one on my car for sure)
Installed the new shift tower and gasket on the trans and buttoned it all back up. Put some graphite powder onto the shift cable end loops on the trans side.
Removed my console, and ended up removing that plastic black bushing that goes on the fore and aft cable, as it goes underneath the shifter. For some reason the cable was getting kinda hung up on this, even though it was there before too... I put the shifter knob back on before I put it all back together to give it a try, and its feeling good now. I just hope the car feels good when being driven. Gonna find out real soon, I'm going into work for a few hours
1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
Old 08-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
SLCraig
Master Member

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Feels pretty good.. First isnt perfect still, although MOST of the time it's OK. I guess ultimately I need to replace the trans at some point (instead of repairs) and the clutch down the road. I can't imagine what else I could do on the cheap to make it shift perfectly.. My SL1 had such a good feel, it makes me anal now with the SL2 :P
1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT