SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 08-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #1
reed88
reed88 is on a distinguished road

Default 1995 saturn coolant light flickers idles up and down and hesitates

The collant light will flicker for less that 1 second and the car will idle up and down, when it is in park and then it is fine.. Also when I am driving the car the coolant light will flicker and the car will have a slight hesitation. it does this about 4-5 times a day I drive 40 miles a day to work and back. I have had the erg valve and idle air valve checked, cleaned and they are fine any ideas what it could be.
reed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: 1995 saturn coolant light flickers idles up and down and hesitates

It could be a number of things:

First off, your Coolant Temp Sensor has probably gone bad which would explain the rough idle. Replace it with a new brass tip ($15) sensor from the dealer. 13MM Deep Socket and the TWO WIRE CONNECTOR that is underneath the EGR valve to replace it. Check the How To and do on a COLD ENGINE ONLY.

The Coolant Light is irrelavent to you cleaning the EGR Valve and IAC. You need to be checking the top side of the driver's side of the Radiator for a small pinhole leak or corrosion.

Check around your Water Pump (located underneath the AC Compressor).

Check your coolant tank, the sensor is probably clogged up.

It is one of these three things.

Clean out the Coolant tank with some Hot Water and a MILD detergent to clean it out.

Have you noticed and puddles under the car, and how long has it been since the coolant has been changed and are you adding anything additional to the coolant tank (Have you been adding coolant at all to the coolant tank?)

Check these IMPORTANT items and DO NOT let this go. A cracked radiator or a failing water pump will leave you on the side of the road.

By the way, Welcome to the boards! There are alot of helpful people here and I am sure that others will chime in to on your issue.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
reed88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
It could be a number of things:

First off, your Coolant Temp Sensor has probably gone bad which would explain the rough idle. Replace it with a new brass tip ($15) sensor from the dealer. 13MM Deep Socket and the TWO WIRE CONNECTOR that is underneath the EGR valve to replace it. Check the How To and do on a COLD ENGINE ONLY.

The Coolant Light is irrelavent to you cleaning the EGR Valve and IAC. You need to be checking the top side of the driver's side of the Radiator for a small pinhole leak or corrosion.

Check around your Water Pump (located underneath the AC Compressor).

Check your coolant tank, the sensor is probably clogged up.

It is one of these three things.

Clean out the Coolant tank with some Hot Water and a MILD detergent to clean it out.

Have you noticed and puddles under the car, and how long has it been since the coolant has been changed and are you adding anything additional to the coolant tank (Have you been adding coolant at all to the coolant tank?)

Check these IMPORTANT items and DO NOT let this go. A cracked radiator or a failing water pump will leave you on the side of the road.

By the way, Welcome to the boards! There are alot of helpful people here and I am sure that others will chime in to on your issue.
Thanks will check everything I do know that it is full of collant. And I put a new waterpump on it about 1 year ago thanks.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

If coolant tank is full, most likely cause is crud in the coolant tank, and a cleaning is in order. Just be sure it is thoroughly rinsed out after the cleaning.
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
reed88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
If coolant tank is full, most likely cause is crud in the coolant tank, and a cleaning is in order. Just be sure it is thoroughly rinsed out after the cleaning.
Does the coolant tank have a sensor In it. All I can see is 2 hoses, one on top and one on the bottom. there is no leak in the water pump or the radiator.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

There is a sensor in the bottom of the coolant tank. You will need to drain your coolant out and then remove the coolant hoses going to the that tank before you can remove it from the car.

Just to rule it out, I should have clarified...the leak that becomes present after a time with the Driver's side of the radiator is either at the top or the bottom where the coolant hoses attach, if you have an automatic. The pinhole leaks are extremely small, so you will have to examine up close on the radiator to see them.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
Old 08-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
reed88

Quote:
There is a sensor in the bottom of the coolant tank. You will need to drain your coolant out and then remove the coolant hoses going to the that tank before you can remove it from the car.

Just to rule it out, I should have clarified...the leak that becomes present after a time with the Driver's side of the radiator is either at the top or the bottom where the coolant hoses attach, if you have an automatic. The pinhole leaks are extremely small, so you will have to examine up close on the radiator to see them.
Ok I have checked the hoses and there is no leak. I have also cleaned the coolant tank it was very dirty, also checked the tank sensor it seems fine. I will see how the car does tomorrow when I drive it thanks for everyone's help.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
woonyboi02895
woonyboi02895 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

I would say ects
woonyboi02895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #9
reed88

Sad Re: 1995 saturn coolant light flickers idles up and down and hesitates

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed88 View Post
Thanks will check everything I do know that it is full of collant. And I put a new waterpump on it about 1 year ago thanks.
Ok the car is still acting up just like before all that is left to do would be to replace ects sensor I will do that today. Also I was wondering could the sensor in the coolant tank be causing this it looks fine. There is no coolant leaks in the hoses or the water pump.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:25 AM   #10
DonP
Master Member

1995 SL2

By still acting up do you mean the occasional flashing low coolant warning, or the erratic idle, or both?

The only effect the low coolant light flickering will have is to warn you that it thinks you are low on coolant. If the coolant level in the reservoir remains full, you probably do not have a significant leak, and the most likely issue is that the coolant level sensor nor working properly. The usual cause of this is crud in the reservoir, and it may take a good cleaning to resolve the problem, to the point of removing the tank, cleaning it, and reinstalling it. Note that the sensor is quite sensitive, and being somewhat low on coolant is often enough to trip on curves or acceleration, so check the level carefully.

The coolant level sensor in the reservoir does not effect driveability of the car or the idle. That is often an ECTS issue (although there may be other causes aas well). And the ECTS does not effect the coolant level warning light, but it can effect an overheating warning. But with the S-cars prior the first thing to check for idle/driveability issues is the ECTS.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #11
reed88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
By still acting up do you mean the occasional flashing low coolant warning, or the erratic idle, or both?

The only effect the low coolant light flickering will have is to warn you that it thinks you are low on coolant. If the coolant level in the reservoir remains full, you probably do not have a significant leak, and the most likely issue is that the coolant level sensor nor working properly. The usual cause of this is crud in the reservoir, and it may take a good cleaning to resolve the problem, to the point of removing the tank, cleaning it, and reinstalling it. Note that the sensor is quite sensitive, and being somewhat low on coolant is often enough to trip on curves or acceleration, so check the level carefully.

The coolant level sensor in the reservoir does not effect driveability of the car or the idle. That is often an ECTS issue (although there may be other causes aas well). And the ECTS does not effect the coolant level warning light, but it can effect an overheating warning. But with the S-cars prior the first thing to check for idle/driveability issues is the ECTS.
Both when the coolant light flickers for a split second it hesitates. I took the coolant tank off and cleaned it yesterday the sensor looks good. There are no leaks anywhere, the car is still acting the same way the only thing left to replace is the ects. I have disconnected the sensor and the the car will still act the same, I hope a new sensor works.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #12
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1999 SL

In reference to the idle issues: Maybe good to check your Plugs/Wires too, if they haven't been changed recently. Clean the coil packs too.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
Old 08-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #13
reed88

Quote:
In reference to the idle issues: Maybe good to check your Plugs/Wires too, if they haven't been changed recently. Clean the coil packs too.
Ok it's not the ects either any other idea's, this is really fusrtating
Old 08-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #14
woonyboi02895
woonyboi02895 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Have u checked to see if u have any engine codes. I had codes and my engine light was not on
woonyboi02895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:09 PM   #15
reed88

Quote:
Originally Posted by woonyboi02895 View Post
Have u checked to see if u have any engine codes. I had codes and my engine light was not on
Ok i will check that tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:16 AM   #16
DonP
Master Member

1995 SL2

Unrelated light flickers same time as hesitations (effects several things at the same time). Might be a poor electrical connection, possibly a ground the systems share somewhere in the system.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #17
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1999 SL

I would suggest checking for codes. In the 95 model year you can do the paper clip test, iirc. Do a search on it. Is your Engine light still working? Or is it burned out?

Checking the codes may lead to something that hasn't been discovered.

You can also get the codes checked at Autozone, or Advance Auto Parts.

Were the Coil Packs clean?

When you mentioned that it isn't the ECTS, you did put a new brass tip in the engine correct? You didn't just put the Old one back in the engine, I hope. Even if the Old Plastic Resin Tipped ECTS in not cracked, the fact that it is a plastic tip sensor means that after 13 years , that sensor is probably not functioning the way it properly should because the plastic tip has been weakened from consistent heating and cooling over the years. The part is $15 from the dealer. Do yourself a favor and replace it, even if the old one is okay, because as stated; that Original Plastic Tip Sensor is probably not functioning properly now becuase the Plastic has been weakened.

I replaced the ECTS in my 94 SC1 last year, I had the original, which didn't look like it was cracked, but I replaced it anyway, and noticed a little pickup and better idle after I replaced it.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
Old 08-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #18
reed88

Quote:
I would suggest checking for codes. In the 95 model year you can do the paper clip test, iirc. Do a search on it. Is your Engine light still working? Or is it burned out?

Checking the codes may lead to something that hasn't been discovered.

You can also get the codes checked at Autozone, or Advance Auto Parts.

Were the Coil Packs clean?

When you mentioned that it isn't the ECTS, you did put a new brass tip in the engine correct? You didn't just put the Old one back in the engine, I hope. Even if the Old Plastic Resin Tipped ECTS in not cracked, the fact that it is a plastic tip sensor means that after 13 years , that sensor is probably not functioning the way it properly should because the plastic tip has been weakened from consistent heating and cooling over the years. The part is $15 from the dealer. Do yourself a favor and replace it, even if the old one is okay, because as stated; that Original Plastic Tip Sensor is probably not functioning properly now becuase the Plastic has been weakened.

I replaced the ECTS in my 94 SC1 last year, I had the original, which didn't look like it was cracked, but I replaced it anyway, and noticed a little pickup and better idle after I replaced it.
I cleaned the Coil today and yes i replaced the ects with a new one form the dealer and put a new connector on it no change. Also no codes im lost.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:23 PM   #19
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

reed88,
Take a look at the connector for the coolant sensor. Is it clean or is it slightly corroded?
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #20
reed88

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
reed88,
Take a look at the connector for the coolant sensor. Is it clean or is it slightly corroded?
It's new, so is the ects.