saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 01-23-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
captsam
captsam is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1996 SL2
Default 1996 SL2 Dome light stays on or 'flickers'

My wife's SL2 started having weird issues with the dome light. In the "Door" position on the switch, the light is supposed to turn off when the key is turned to run. Right now it does turn off sometimes, but often stays on (even after the engine is started) It's as if it was in the "ON" position instead of the "Door" position. Don't quite get it. I'm going to take it out and see what I can do with it, but perhaps someone here on the forums has more insight or experience with this matter.

Thanks!
Sam
captsam is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 1996 SL2 Dome light stays on or 'flickers'

Its not the dome light that broke. Dome light will self destruct if you try to take it of the headliner.

One of your door switches is not playing well. The light is turned on in the door position by grounding the light through the door switch.

Play with the driver door switch. Any switch gets dirty enough and the light comes on. The postage stamp below is the schematic. Drag it off onto the desktop and load it into the photo viewer.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
captsam
captsam is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1996 SL2

^_^

Well, it didn't self-destruct coming out of the headliner. Putting it BACK was another story though. Should have taken your advice. I fixed it though. Initially, I tried to J-B Weld it... but the plastic was to brittle (the car is 14 years old). I guess So Cal heat does that to plastics. Oddly enough, the parts that had JB Weld held, but it would crack in another spot. I finally just resolved to zip-ties and that worked fine.

The photo hosting on saturnfans isn't working right now, so here's a link to what I did:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2432516...16806/sizes/l/

Just in case anyone has this same thing happen.

The original problem has gone away somewhere along the way.
captsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Zip ties will work just fine. They are all brittle and hard as a rock.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote