SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #1
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2
Default Chevron Delo 15W-30...

Anyone know where I can get a gallon of Chevron 15W-30?

Interested in trying this next summer,
but NAPA has no idea how to order it,
and Amazon wants 77 clams for three...

https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/P...&docFormat=PDF

Giving Mobil 1 0W-30 ESP a try this winter...

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Chevron Delo 15W-30...

All I can find is their 15-40 product, or their 5-30 is 3 for $76 on Amazon.
Seems as if it is no longer produced for like 4 years.

Last edited by toggenburg; 08-25-2018 at 02:14 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:42 AM   #3
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

15W-30 will accelerate oil consumption through your rings. Even in hotter, southern climates, 10w-30 is the heaviest recommended oils to use in our engines.

I tried 15w-40 in my first engine, mixed with ATF. Went from 1qt/200mi of consumption through the rings & valve stem seals, to 1qt/80 miles when the engine finally burnt an exhaust valve at 187k.

I run full synthetic, with no additives, now. Lesson learned. 5w-40 Shell Rotella T6 and burn about 1qt per 300-400 miles through bad valve stem seals. Apparently, when you have a DOHC with unknown mileage(211k but no VIN match on the car the engine was sourced from) your valves stem seals can be worn out.

The oil doesn't turn completely black, by the end of my 3,000 mile oil change intervals now, either.

With the other stuff, my dipstick was unreadable by 1,000 miles into the OCI.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

mattwithcats, I'm not sure if you use google because I had no problem finding it: Advance Auto, Walmart and ebay sells Chevron Delo 15w-30.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

And why are you interested in Mobil-1 0w30? Expecting extreme subzero temps in your area? If I'm not mistaken, 5w-30 is more than adequate for most of the continental USA. The chart, if its hasn't changed, is still a good guide on oil selection if not following owner's manual recommendations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil chart.jpg (158.4 KB, 15 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2018, 02:56 PM   #6
Eiron
Eiron is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwithcats View Post
Anyone know where I can get a gallon of Chevron 15W-30?

Interested in trying this next summer ...

Giving Mobil 1 0W-30 ESP a try this winter.
Don't forget that multi-vis oils are still thicker on startup than at operating temps (that is, they never "thicken up" when they get hot or "thin out" when they get cold). The "thinnest" 0W-16 is going to be thicker on startup than the "heaviest" 15W-50 will be at operating temp. I think you'd be better off giving 15W-40 a try in the summer and 0W-40 a run in the winter.

He's dead Jim!
You grab his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eiron's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eiron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:31 PM   #7
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
And why are you interested in Mobil-1 0w30? Expecting extreme subzero temps in your area? If I'm not mistaken, 5w-30 is more than adequate for most of the continental USA. The chart, if its hasn't changed, is still a good guide on oil selection if not following owner's manual recommendations.
You are correct, FDryer, about 5w-30. Even my lawn mower(which uses SAE 30w oil) has a temperature chart showing the recommended temps/environments for various oil weights.

Aside from 0w oil being basically amber-colored water inside the engine, some people and even automakers now use the lightest weight oils they can for extra mpgs. You can wear the bearings very quickly, when oil is too light, though. So, the real question is: Does 1-2 extra mpg really add up to the cost of rebuilding your entire engine?

It is similar to the heavier weight oils being better for the bearings but causes the rings to seize up quicker and increases your oil consumption.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-27-2018, 09:01 PM   #8
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

Matt>Cats/

If specifying viscosity, check out the Rotella T6 SatNight mentions in post #3;

Or @ Walmart:
Chevron Delo 400 XSP Synthetic 5W40 Motor Oil, 1 gal. / ChevronWalmart # 550141692 $20.84

The 15-30 will be too thick at starting, according to Old Nuc.

The 5-40 will be good at start, and offer better protection at hot-running than 5-30 , or 10-30.

I'm running Mobil 0-40 Synthetic now... I will migrate to 5-40 Synthetic at next oil change. The 0-40 seems to require a little too much priming time at startup.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:08 AM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

TomM96, we're both on Long Island and the lowest oil viscosity I used was M-1 5w20. Normal is M-1 5w30. Past harsh winters with my car outside seemed not to suffer with the 5w(20 now 30) weight fine for freezing temps and close to zero F as I can hear whether or not the starter turns slower from 5 weight oil. None to date with only those years when the battery was on its last legs and alternator beginning to fail were there any hints of oil being a problem when it was battery/alternator.

I'm curious as to your reasons for choosing 0w40. It is true GM went to extensive lengths to determine changes in oil viscosities over the years but in partial defense I think there's more to GM recommending 5w30 over other viscosities than solely for fuel economy. In addition to obvious fuel economy gains of less than approximately 5%(?), I think the changes from manual machining of rotating engine parts to cnc controlling tighter tolerances and improvements in metallurgy allows close tolerances for tighter engines. Tighter engines with less clearances would imply using slightly thinner and better oil formulations to continue lubrication despite higher operating temperatures. When all this is taken into consideration, experimenting with oil viscosities (whether an engine is worn or not) tends to make each experiment the beta tester. My only experience with beta testing is my L300 on an extended oci where I started with M-1 5w30, change oil filter at the first oci indication (around 5500 miles), add make up oil then continue until the second oci indicator to change oil and filter. This can vary from 9k-15k miles before replacing with fresh M-1 oil. To date, zero oil usage and a slight blue smoke on startup, disappearing quickly. Mileage now around 102k miles. All NYC driving with mostly city mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2018, 04:48 PM   #10
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for response, FDryer...

>' I'm curious as to your reasons for choosing 0w40. '

It was a mistake.
I intend to use 5-30 or 5-40 (winter);
and 5-40 or 10-40 (summer).
My initial 30kMi in Saturn('97SW) i used Rotella conventional 15-40, which was good in previous car&truck.
After OldNuc educated me about the ring issues--and advised that thick oil would starve the mains at coldstart--I switched to Full Synthetic 5-30(winter), and 10-30(summer), Valvoline or Pennsoil.
In my 'new-to-me' 2000SW(165kMi) ... i noticed the oil was picking up crud & darkening--possibly because prior owner used conventional lube.
I responded by filling with M1 0-40, with the expensive synthetic filter... to attempt to trap the crap. I noticed the engine took longer to prime in summer with the thinner oil (2-sec vs 1-sec). The existing oil filter on the car purchased was screwed on by a Gorilla, depressing the filter seal fully... and requiring me to employ strap wrench with about a 14" swing (which i felt very fortunate to have in possession) despite the relatively cramped quarters. It is possible that the filter had not been changed for a couple years.

Now I'll revert to 5-30/10-30 ... except likely upgrading to 5-40/10-40.

I plan to continue with the $9.00 filter for a few changes, hoping to evict more particulates!

I would never choose oil viscosity for fuel economy issues.
I'd like to address fuel economy with miserly fuel injection schedules...
The 2000SW seems to use more fuel than the '97SW... which IS an issue for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:09 PM   #11
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Say Tom, MPGbuddy.com says your 02 should get 1 mpg better than the 97 model. Perhaps if is a significant lowering, then maybe plugs/wires/or extra cargo weight in the 02 need attention?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:51 AM   #12
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

I've never seen the 15-30 in this area that I recall. I see the Delo HD 10-30 and the 5-40 versions all the time.

With the summer we have had lately (I live near Mattwithcats) using a 15-30 wouldn't concern me at all. I can't even remember how many months it has been since we saw 70 degrees or lower, and high 80s into 90s has been the norm for the last couple of months.

Per the owners manual in my '95, at anything above 40 degrees a straight 30 weight oil is acceptable if a 5 or 10-30 isn't to be had.

As for the 0-30 for the winter, still fine IMO. It's simple extra layers of protection for really cold starts. In this area most times it's not really needed, but then again anything below a 10W cold isn't really needed.

Being I've seen no intensive testing involving a S Series engine, I'd just take opinions as that, opinions. Often the user evidence involves claims that the superior combo helped their car not burn oil and start easy in cold weather. But those same claims are often duplicated by those using supposed inferior products.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:52 AM   #13
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Car was used 95% for highway, lots of 2250 to 2500 RPM's at 70-75, for up to 4 hours at a stretch...

Been running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, in 5W-30, now I want to try something else...

Looks like 15W-30 is unobtainium, what else can I run?
Needs to be diesel rated, or have lots of cleaning agents,
and in a 30 weight range..

I have four different 0W-30's,

Mobil 1 Racing, used as a half quart additive...

Castrol Edge, saved for snowblowers and snowmobiles...

Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy, I did not like this oil in a manual transmission, there was greatly reduced engine braking when I downshifted...
In an automatic, it would be great...

Last, giving the aforementioned Mobil 1 Emission System Protection a spin, its a little thicker than AFE...

Looks like the next fill after the Mobil 1 ESP will be two quarts old formula Shell Rotella T6, in 0W-40, and two and a half quarts Mobil 1 AFE, 0W-30.
The AFE is a thin 30 weight, the T6 a thin 40 weight.
The old T6 formula is SN rated, the new formula is not. (Both 0W-40 and 5W-40 flavors)

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:57 AM   #14
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
TomM96, we're both on Long Island and the lowest oil viscosity I used was M-1 5w20. Normal is M-1 5w30. Past harsh winters with my car outside seemed not to suffer with the 5w(20 now 30) weight fine for freezing temps and close to zero F as I can hear whether or not the starter turns slower from 5 weight oil. None to date with only those years when the battery was on its last legs and alternator beginning to fail were there any hints of oil being a problem when it was battery/alternator.

I'm curious as to your reasons for choosing 0w40. It is true GM went to extensive lengths to determine changes in oil viscosities over the years but in partial defense I think there's more to GM recommending 5w30 over other viscosities than solely for fuel economy. In addition to obvious fuel economy gains of less than approximately 5%(?), I think the changes from manual machining of rotating engine parts to cnc controlling tighter tolerances and improvements in metallurgy allows close tolerances for tighter engines. Tighter engines with less clearances would imply using slightly thinner and better oil formulations to continue lubrication despite higher operating temperatures. When all this is taken into consideration, experimenting with oil viscosities (whether an engine is worn or not) tends to make each experiment the beta tester. My only experience with beta testing is my L300 on an extended oci where I started with M-1 5w30, change oil filter at the first oci indication (around 5500 miles), add make up oil then continue until the second oci indicator to change oil and filter. This can vary from 9k-15k miles before replacing with fresh M-1 oil. To date, zero oil usage and a slight blue smoke on startup, disappearing quickly. Mileage now around 102k miles. All NYC driving with mostly city mileage.
A slight amount of blue smoke on a fully cold start is a symptom of worn valve stem seals. You have an L300, so depending on the mileage, this may be normal wear 'n' tear because it is a DOHC.

I see more owner's with DOHC engines, when they get higher mileages(even when taken care of well), that mention even slight oil consumption like this in their vehicles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2018, 04:08 PM   #15
Eiron
Eiron is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwithcats View Post
Looks like 15W-30 is unobtainium, what else can I run?
Needs to be diesel rated, or have lots of cleaning agents,
and in a 30 weight range...
If you're determined to run a xW-30 oil, all of the brands of "High Mileage" oils have similar (or identical?) additive packages to the dual-rated oils. Some are even ACEA A3/B3 rated (like Mobil 1's 10W-30 HM), so they offer better shear resistance.

He's dead Jim!
You grab his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eiron's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eiron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eiron is offline   Reply With Quote