SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #1
lil_buddy
Advanced Member
lil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC1
Default What's your solution for covering this vent (pic)?

I'm talking about that big hole in front of the windshield/over the fire wall on the passenger side. It is covered with a screen between 2 pieces of foam glued on.

After 19 years, mine is completely unattached and the screen is coming out of the foam sandwich. Has anyone fixed this in a reliable manner? What materials did you use? My instinct is to try to glue everything back, but that's not gonna hold up very long.

IMG_2001.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lil_buddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lil_buddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lil_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: What's your solution for covering this vent (pic)?

2 sheets of 1/4" closed cell foam and cutout 2 new surrounds. Use the old screen.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
lil_buddy
Advanced Member
lil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
2 sheets of 1/4" closed cell foam and cutout 2 new surrounds. Use the old screen.
Where do they typically sell this? Like what stores would I look in? Jo-Ann?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lil_buddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lil_buddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lil_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #4
SRGW
Advanced Member
SRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL1
Post Re: What's your solution for covering this vent (pic)?

21031308 gm Google is your friend!!

1995 SL1 223,323 Well Oiled!!
1997 SL1 55,150 Just A Teenager!!
CHECK YOUR OIL!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SRGW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SRGW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SRGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

No, not a fabric shop. Big box store in weather strip etc dpt. Just about any foam material will work as long as it is 3/16 min thick and closed cell. Measure the length and width you need before going shopping. Large upholstery supply shops have it as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:55 PM   #6
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

Instead of glue, Two sided foam tape is a good solution and easy to shape with a pair of round tipped scissors.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:44 PM   #7
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

Exactly what is the purpose of that thing anyway?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:18 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Attempts to keep critters and debris out of the interior vents; the hole is where the outside air comes from.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:19 PM   #9
rowdydog
Advanced Member
rowdydog has a spectacular aura aboutrowdydog has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line

If its still in one piece hot glue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rowdydog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rowdydog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rowdydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

There's a seller on eBay that has a solution. I'm pretty sure it is Saturnfan member named Hein. Here's the link...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-S-Ser...-/141441488563

2001 SL1 MT (417,500 km @ 05/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (260,870 km @ 05/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (111,176 km @ 05/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:53 AM   #11
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

I would add a finer mesh screen under that one. pine needles, ants, bugs, etc have a too easy chance to fall in.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:25 PM   #12
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Also important to note, if the adhesive fails, you can get water in your left front passenger footwell area from snowmelt or heavy rain.

I reattached mine with silicone adhesive 6+ years ago, no issues since. I used a little wax paper on the hood to vent side to prevent sticking when the hood was closed up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #13
jerryR
jerryR is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
2001 SW2

I used grey RTV on mine. work great.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jerryR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jerryR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jerryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:47 AM   #14
SL Racer
SL Racer has a spectacular aura aboutSL Racer has a spectacular aura aboutSL Racer has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL2

Ok, so using the search feature I found this post. I'm having the problem with the passenger side floor board getting wet every time it rains.

The e-bay links I've found don't work, and can't source this thing new. Nearest i can tell, it's just a thick piece of foam and some chicken wire? And the foam seals against the cowl and the underside of the hood, right? Will continue to try and source a junk yard one, but in the meantime if anyone has pics of a home brew fix, I'd love to see it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL Racer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL Racer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:15 AM   #15
sc2 saturn
sc2 saturn is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

all i did too my cause i still had it there just the glue let go was used silicone and glue it back on works perfectly on and few super cheap fix

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2 saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2 saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc2 saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:16 AM   #16
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

When I first saw this post my first though was, "what vent? I've never seen a vent." So I went out to look if there was one and sure enough, I was right. There is no vent, just a hole. Now it makes sense though how my blower motor turned into a mice nest a while back. Guess I'll need to find something to replace the vent with though.

Just when I thought I was done finding all the damage those mice did to the car, I find something else, lol. (They where not kind to the car the year it was sitting in the driveway doing nothing)

"Tupperware on wheels"
1997 SL2, 110K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #17
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

Prep surfaces with electronics cleaner spray - 3M adhesive spray works well.

92 SC2
93 SC2
93 SW2
95 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
3 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:13 PM   #18
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

If desperate;

COWL VENT SCREEN PANEL FITS 96 SATURN S SERIES 241932

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COWL-VENT-S...d=141441488563

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote