SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2005, 11:39 PM   #1
mcfly
mcfly is on a distinguished road

Default 99 SL High Idle, Miss Cylinder #1, Vacuum

This is my first post. I have read many of the threads but wanted to post my specific problem.
My SES light has been on for a while. Read the codes and they show high idle, miss on cylinder #1, and vacuum. We did the following:
-New spark plugs & wires - spark plugs were worn, cylinder #1 was discolored, no oil was present
-Spark is present and seems to be good
-Checked compression on cylinder one (seemed OK)
-Checked IAC, removed and cleaned (seemed ok)
-Sprayed around intake manifold gasket and didn't see a leak
-Filled up with high grade gas at Citgo
-Added fuel injector cleaner to tank

I drove the car 100 miles and the SES was still on and the engine is still idling high. I removed the battery wire to reset the system. I am planning to drive the car today and tomorrow to see if the light comes back on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mcfly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mcfly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2005, 12:12 AM   #2
bigc791
Advanced Member
bigc791 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1
Default Re: 99 SL High Idle, Miss Cylinder #1, Vacuum

Intake....
Carmen

1998 2.4L swapped Plymouth neon is my ride.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigc791's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigc791 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:30 AM   #3
JDub99SL2
Advanced Member
JDub99SL2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly
This is my first post. I have read many of the threads but wanted to post my specific problem.
My SES light has been on for a while. Read the codes and they show high idle, miss on cylinder #1, and vacuum. We did the following:
-New spark plugs & wires - spark plugs were worn, cylinder #1 was discolored, no oil was present
-Spark is present and seems to be good
-Checked compression on cylinder one (seemed OK)
-Checked IAC, removed and cleaned (seemed ok)
-Sprayed around intake manifold gasket and didn't see a leak
-Filled up with high grade gas at Citgo
-Added fuel injector cleaner to tank

I drove the car 100 miles and the SES was still on and the engine is still idling high. I removed the battery wire to reset the system. I am planning to drive the car today and tomorrow to see if the light comes back on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Still sounds like an intake gasket, to me. Keep spraying it, top and bottom of the intake. Any noticable difference in idle indicates a leak. Also, check for simple things like a cracked PCV tube. Have you noticed any coolant loss?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JDub99SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JDub99SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JDub99SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:42 AM   #4
saturntech45
saturntech45 is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2
1994 SL2

Start by replacing the CTS (coolant temp sensor). Check connector for corrosion. If corroded replace also. Sensor is sending a skewed signal to the pcm causing incorrect fuel mixture, causing high idle.....Start with that. Misfire may be seperate issue...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturntech45's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturntech45 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturntech45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:14 AM   #5
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

What ^^^^ he said. I'll add that an ECTS can cause a miss too.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
mcfly

Thanks for all of the input on my dilemma!

So far all of the input I have received says that I should check the following:
--Fuel Intake Manifold Gasket spray brake cleaner around the manifold, specifically at cylinder #1 to check for change in idle/vacuum
--Cracked PCV Tube
--CTS
--ECTS
--EGR
--IAC
--Coil Packs

Do you think that I should do the checks/replacements in that order? Are there any on the list that definitely wouldn't be the problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mcfly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-26-2005, 12:54 PM   #7
mcfly

Default Re: 99 SL High Idle, Miss Cylinder #1, Vacuum (& Horn)

Well, I took the car to Midas to try to get it inspected and the SES was still on. They checked the intake manifold with brake cleaner, and sure enough, it changed the idle. Looks like about $375 more towards the car to replace it. I would brave it myself if I had the right tools and a heated garage.
Also, I had the guy replace the old horn in the car with another used horn last week. It worked fine for about a week, and then yesterday when I was in the K-Mart parking lot (Black Friday) the horn went off and wouldn't stop. This was very embarrasing to say the least. So I pulled over and pulled on the wires to make it stop. Midas checked and said the horn looks burnt out. A new horn installed equals about another $65.
So is this really a Saturn Fans forum or is it also for Saturn Complainers?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!