SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 12:29 PM   #1
svbb
svbb is on a distinguished road

Default Ignition wire in the L300...also, airbag info please...

...copy of post from the L series forum...

I am going to install a new rearview mirror in my 02 L300. It has a compass, thermometer, map lights, and is auto-dimming. The company that makes the mirror says that I can't use the existing wiring to my current mirror.

Therefore...I need to remove the driver's side A-pillar cover. Stupid question: will this detonate the head curtain airbag?

Second question: I need to connect it to an ignition wire...a wire that is only hot when the ignition is on, so my new mirror won't drain the battery when the car is off. Anybody know which wire in the harness is the wire I need to use?

Third, anybody have any advice for running the temperature probe through the firewall up to the front of the car?

Thanks in advance...you guys are great!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2003, 09:51 PM   #2
RustyJCNC
Advanced Member
RustyJCNC is on a distinguished road

gee gads man. Sounds like a nice upgrade. How much is this one going to set you back? I'm curious to know what this install is going to look like.

I'm weary to do anything too drastic to my L300 concerning electrical work pre-warranty period. I only have about 6k on my 2002.

-j
Old 01-22-2003, 10:24 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

It shouldn't but. Be more than very careful. You don't want to be pinching any wiring in there. See if your local Saturn will see if there are any service precations for this.
Keep out of the wiring harnesses. Go directly to a fuse box and tap off of a ignition hot fuse there. Go off of the hot side of the fuse and use a seperate fuse for the tapping wire as close to the tap source as you can.
Besides be carefull again? I have not had to do anything like this but have seen the results of a poor aftermarket install before and it was not pretty. There should be enough things going through the fire wall that you should be able to find a place to go through.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:18 AM   #4
AZguy
Advanced Member
AZguy is on a distinguished road

If you want to preclude any chance of the airbags going off, do what the owner's manual suggests: Disconnect the battery and wait 20-minutes before beginning any work. That way, you are assured that the storage capacitors in the airbag circuitry are discharged and there is no danger of them recharging and going off if you goof. Disconnecting the battery also prevents any other kind of mishaps while messing around with the wiring like an accidental short circuit, etc. Please do provide more info about your mirror - manufacturer, cost, etc.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:28 AM   #5
svbb

The mirror is a Donnelly auto-dimming mirror with compass, temperature, and map lights. http://www.donnelly.com/products/int...ms/default.asp

My wife bought it for me as a Christmas present, but it was on backorder, so I just recently received it. She bought it from Autobarn.com--free shipping. The price was $209.00. I believe, though, that Autobarn gets it from a distributor called "Cipa" www.cipamirrors.com and puts their sticker on the box.

http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/autdiminrear.html

The instructions that came with it are great--lots of pictures. The mirror assembly seems to be a pretty high quality. The wiring harnesses are well made, and there's an attention to detail that I've rarely seen in the auto upgrade business (kinda like the computer upgrade business).

I'm going to install it on Saturday with the help of my brother, who's an electrical engineer, and more importantly, has a garage--it's insanely cold here in Northern VA!!!!

I've been wanting these features (compass, temp) for a long time, and felt it was the one compromise I made when I bought a fully-loaded L300. I'll be sure to post pictures after we finish.

Thanks for all the advice so far. These forums are reason enough to keep buying Saturns!!!
Old 01-24-2003, 06:49 AM   #6
Fish
Fish is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you'd be kind enough to jot down a note or two during the installation, so you can post a "how-to", it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the links.

Old 01-25-2003, 07:36 PM   #7
svbb

The new mirror is in place! Donnelly makes the OEM mirrors for the L300, too.

Pictures and walkthrough coming soon.
Closed Thread