SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 01:12 PM   #1
1993 is on a distinguished road

Default whats a good NON-SYNTHETIC oil?

well, i have been using regular old mobil 10w30 in all my vehicles for quite some time, but its getting so hard to find that im going to switch, autozone even quit selling it now and replaced it with some new 2.50 per quart mobil, so im looking for another good non-synthetic oil to use in all my vehicles that i can actually find..lol..i used to use castrol and havoline and both seemed to tar and sludge up quickly, ive also used exxon superflo and penzoil and liked them both but i read somewhere about the teflon in the penzoil gumming up or something or other, is this true because i would like to either go back to pennzoil or the psuperflo, bottom line is i need an oil that will do its job but NOT sludge up.. your thoughts

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2005, 01:16 PM   #2
the_new_raceman
the_new_raceman is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default Re: whats a good NON-SYNTHETIC oil?

i use quaker state 5w30 high mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_new_raceman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_new_raceman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 01:18 PM   #3
Amp67
Amp67 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I use Mobil Drive Clean 5w30. Costco sells it for $11.97/case

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Amp67's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Amp67 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
Silver02ex
Silver02ex is on a distinguished road

1991 SL2

Cheveron 5w30 seems to be good for me. I get it for $1.09 a quart at Costco. Recently I got 2 case of it at Schucks for $.59 per quart, after the mail in rebate.

2002 Honda Civic EX
1991 Saturn SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silver02ex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silver02ex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 02:21 PM   #5
lexington01
lexington01 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

I second the Quaker State comment, that's what I use. I've heard Penzoil is the same thing.

I read somewhere that Wal-Mart brand Supertech oil is supposed to be pretty good. I know their filters are good, so I've been considering switching to their oil too. At (damn!) $0.88 a quart that's hard to beat!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lexington01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lexington01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 02:41 PM   #6
94sc2boy
94sc2boy is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

why get synthetic when you can get 10w-20w-50 dino?

Shell SUper X is the bomb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil.jpg (25.1 KB, 14 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94sc2boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94sc2boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 05:53 PM   #7
ToolSoldier10
ToolSoldier10 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington01
I second the Quaker State comment, that's what I use. I've heard Penzoil is the same thing.

I read somewhere that Wal-Mart brand Supertech oil is supposed to be pretty good. I know their filters are good, so I've been considering switching to their oil too. At (damn!) $0.88 a quart that's hard to beat!
I buy the Mobil 1 by the 5 quart jug and a supertech filter all the time at Wal-Mart (the only thing I buy from there), the supertech beats even the Fram Xguard or whatever thier best filter is....

why not go synthetic?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToolSoldier10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToolSoldier10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 06:52 PM   #8
Kevin94SL
Kevin94SL is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSoldier10

why not go synthetic?

Synthetic cleans all the crap out of the seals/rings etc., and can sometimes cause an older, higher milage engine, that has a bunch of crap in it, to burn oil. It loosens everything, and then all of the sudden, the oil runs through the car faster then gas....

Maybe not that bad... but.... That's what the original poster is looking for.

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kevin94SL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kevin94SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 08:16 PM   #9
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

I was going to say Havoline, but you do not like that one. Regarding Penzoil, I have never heard anything about it having Teflon. It seems highly regarded at BITOG. There is some great info on oil there. If the oil is sludging, it may that it is cleaning things. I used Castrol 10w-30 on a 93 Sentra for 80,000 miles. Never sludged up. Dropped the pan it was suprisingly clean. My recommendation is to go to the place where people are fanatics about oil (BITOG). You can find more than you ever want to know about oil in no time. My Sam's has Penzoil around in the $14 range. Good luck!

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 08:19 PM   #10
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin94SL
Synthetic cleans all the crap out of the seals/rings etc., and can sometimes cause an older, higher milage engine, that has a bunch of crap in it, to burn oil. It loosens everything, and then all of the sudden, the oil runs through the car faster then gas....

Maybe not that bad... but.... That's what the original poster is looking for.
I've had exactly the opposite situation.
97SC1
110,000 miles on Dino, 5W30, 4000mi OCI
using approx 1qt/1000 mi
switched to Mobil 1 0W40
1pint/3000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 08:47 PM   #11
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray
I've had exactly the opposite situation.
97SC1
110,000 miles on Dino, 5W30, 4000mi OCI
using approx 1qt/1000 mi
switched to Mobil 1 0W40
1pint/3000 miles
Alright. Enough of this! Time for the boys at Myth Busters to tackle this synthetic-oil-will-cause-leaks urban legend.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 09:14 PM   #12
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbak
Alright. Enough of this! Time for the boys at Myth Busters to tackle this synthetic-oil-will-cause-leaks urban legend.
AMEN to that!

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 09:19 PM   #13
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

I used about 1/4 quart more switching to Mobil 1 5w-30 from Castrol, but it seems to be a thin oil. Gave better gas mileage. But, I stocked up on Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro Formula at $2.00 at Auto Zone on closeout, in hopes of reducing comsuption.

Myth busters is a good idea! I only watched one episode. They totally blew up a concrete mixer to see if explosives would remove concrete from the inside of the mixer.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 09:21 PM   #14
sc2dave
sc2dave is on a distinguished road

synthetic oil causes leaks in high mileage engines that have some gunk plugging up a leak. as long as you were running dino oil, it was fine. but when you start using synthetic, it starts to clean out all your engine's insides,including your "false seal" and thus the oil leak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2dave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2dave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 09:30 PM   #15
eric02SC2
Advanced Member
eric02SC2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc2dave
synthetic oil causes leaks in high mileage engines that have some gunk plugging up a leak. as long as you were running dino oil, it was fine. but when you start using synthetic, it starts to clean out all your engine's insides,including your "false seal" and thus the oil leak.
Which beggs the following question: At what mileage does an engine quailify as a high mileage engine?

I only ask because we purchased pre-paid maintenence with our '02 SC2 and won't be able to switch over to synthetic oil until that runs out in two more years. Actually, having pre-paid maintence was a good thing since shortly after purchasing this vehicle, I lost my job and am still looking for my next job. Without the pre-paid maintenence, we couldn't afford to change the oil every 3,000 miles!

Eric & Genieve
2002 SC2m 36.9K miles

http://www.GEMS-Family.net
http://www.GEMS-Family.net/WeightLoss

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eric02SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eric02SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 09:45 PM   #16
peppermrj
Advanced Member
peppermrj is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

My 2 cent.
Any good detergent oil will should hold dirt/sludge in suspension so that it drains out with the oil and prevents sludge buildup. The frequency and regularity is what really matters. I am also of the belief that you should stick with one brand. Another urban legend?

My brother in law worked for Exxon at the grease plant in town. Exxon made oil and grease not only under their brand but also for dozens of other labels. The formulation was made to different specs for each brand but was very similiar in order to be certified (the bottle cap stamp).They are out of the grease business at least in Pa. and rich is in another line of work now. I miss getting my oil for 20 cent a quart. But at least I can find it almost anywhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to peppermrj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help peppermrj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 09:52 PM   #17
peppermrj
Advanced Member

1996 SC2

Personally I'd be willing to bet that more leaks are started from inadvertent overfilling than any synth problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help peppermrj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 10:09 PM   #18
Dr B
Dr B is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermrj
Personally I'd be willing to bet that more leaks are started from inadvertent overfilling than any synth problem.
NO NO NO the syntec oil is totally different ,it will
like antifreeze get out anywhere it possibly can !
It is my understanding if you put it in A brand new car it will
stay in and do A teriffic job,however in an older engine the seals have become accustomed to the oil that you use,and can't
adapt to the new properties.
had the same problem with cars of the 50s,when changing to multigrade detergent oil around1975 boy did that oil run out
at every seal and gasket.
there are many good detergent oils everywhere ,pick out one that fits your price range and is redily available in your area

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 10:20 PM   #19
peppermrj
Advanced Member

1996 SC2

Going on my own experience, I have a 98 F150 that I bought new. I used motorcraft conventional oil from day 1 except for times when I would haul the travel trailer. I then used motorcraft synthetic, mainly for it's superior heat resistance. Iv'e done that every summer since I purchased the truck and have never had a leak. The truck has over 100,000 miles of me going back and forth between synth and petro.
My 2 cent.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2005, 10:21 PM   #20
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbottomlee
It is my understanding if you put it in A brand new car it will
stay in and do A teriffic job,however in an older engine the seals have become accustomed to the oil that you use,and can't
adapt to the new properties.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread