SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
Egon Pax
Egon Pax is on a distinguished road

Attention Dealer Handling of Sky/Sky RL ORDERS?

I wanted to find out about different dealerships and how they are handling orders regarding the Sky RL. If anyone can post on how their local dealership does this, that would be great.

One of my local dealerships is treating the Sky and the Sky RL as the same. The person I talked to over the phone basically stated that the Sky RL is an option for the regular Sky so there will be only one list. Currently there are about 40 people on the list. He also said that roughly 50% drop off the list because they decided against getting the car for whatever reason. Then he told me that the dealership was considering a "lottery" type system. There will no longer be a list and instead be put into a pool of people and they would "draw names out of a hat" so that whoever gets drawn gets to order his/her Sky.

//I'll update this information after I call the other dealers in my area. Thanks to anyone who contributes!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Egon Pax's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Egon Pax reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Egon Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2006, 10:38 AM   #2
marcusa
marcusa is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
Default Re: Dealer Handling of Sky/Sky RL ORDERS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon Pax
He also said that roughly 50% drop off the list because they decided against getting the car for whatever reason.
I think GM should have produced and stocked up for a month before releasing the vehicle, they would have probably sold more overall that way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marcusa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marcusa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marcusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:24 AM   #3
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusa
I think GM should have produced and stocked up for a month before releasing the vehicle, they would have probably sold more overall that way.
They're selling every one they make. How could they have sold more? There's only 10,000 to go around.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
dschrader
Advanced Member
dschrader is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Here a $500 deposit puts you on "the list". When your name comes up you can order any SKY you want RL/standard, in any color you want, with whatever options you want.

You can drive your SKY once it arrives, if you like it you take it, if not we give your $500 back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dschrader's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dschrader reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dschrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:13 PM   #5
Egon Pax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschrader
Here a $500 deposit puts you on "the list". When your name comes up you can order any SKY you want RL/standard, in any color you want, with whatever options you want.

You can drive your SKY once it arrives, if you like it you take it, if not we give your $500 back.
Now that's how it should be!
Thanks for your input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Egon Pax reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
Domino Sky
Domino Sky is on a distinguished road

In Maryland (just outside of DC) -- $500.00 deposit to get on waiting list. The dealership started a list -- I am 12th on the list and then a RL list where I am 3rd. Was told I would be called in as soon as orders could be taken. I only want the RL. If I change my mind I will get my $500 back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Domino Sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Domino Sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Domino Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:10 PM   #7
Superman
Superman is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
2003 ION-2 Sedan

The SKY and SKY RL will be totally separate allocations in the GM system. So if your dealer told you that they were all the same, they don't know what they're talking about. Supposedly, regular SKYs are sold out through the end of the year, but the SKY RLs are supposed to be available in September. Now, if they all come from the same allocations, how is that possible? Silly sales people don't always think through it all.

- Aaron

'04 ION RedLine (Electric Blue)
'94 SL1 (Gold, sold)
STC-FL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Superman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Superman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:31 AM   #8
Egon Pax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman
The SKY and SKY RL will be totally separate allocations in the GM system. So if your dealer told you that they were all the same, they don't know what they're talking about. Supposedly, regular SKYs are sold out through the end of the year, but the SKY RLs are supposed to be available in September. Now, if they all come from the same allocations, how is that possible? Silly sales people don't always think through it all.
If this is true, then the guy over the phone was being difficult!
I think I'm going to call back and complain and tell them they should have 2 seperate lists for the regular Sky and the RL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-26-2006, 03:43 PM   #9
dschrader
Advanced Member
dschrader is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2007 ION-2 Sedan

actually the SKY and the SKY RL are not treated as different allocation groups in my order system. In order to order a SKY RL I have to be allocated a SKY to start with. This is why I keep them on the same list. And the same reason why I'm not a silly salesman!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dschrader's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dschrader reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dschrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:50 PM   #10
Tupperwaresales
Tupperwaresales is on a distinguished road

I find it funny that dealerships are taking 40+ orders on the skys in general. They are only making 20,000 for the first year. you really think your gonna get one within 2 years if your # 40? wow. this is crazy

Beer is proof that god loves us- Ben Franklin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tupperwaresales's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tupperwaresales reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tupperwaresales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:15 PM   #11
Axel
Axel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman
Like dschrader said, your information is wrong. There was some talk months ago that there would be separate allocations in the GM system, but it didn't turn out that way. I'm not sure how Saturn's statements make sense as far as what is sold out by when versus what will be available when... but the RedLine is definitely just an option when ordering a Sky.

I ordered one today, and how my dealer explained the process to me, there are 15 orders at my dealer ahead of me... 10 regular Skys and 5 Redlines. The dealer prioritizes these orders in the GM Dealerworld system. Each week when orders are "picked-up", if the order contains any items that are currently "constrained" (i.e. auto trans or chrome wheels or the Redline option) then that order is not picked up and the system goes to the next order of the dealer (up to the total number of allocations they have...). My dealer said there are four "passes" done... which enables the dealer to change the details of the order (if it is desired) so that it can be picked-up (i.e. change from the constrained chrome wheels to polished, etc.).

The RedLine will not be off constraint until pricing is released, which Saturn has said will probably be the end of June... so my order and others are like "pre-orders" at the moment... not available to be picked-up yet.

Also Saturn has stated that they plan to offer up to 40% of the Sky production as RedLines... so even after they start producing RedLines, on any given week or month they can again be "constrained" due to the demand exceeding that 40% number.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Axel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Axel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:19 PM   #12
DuSpinnst
DuSpinnst is on a distinguished road

My dealer is not taking orders until pricing is released. I think my dealer is also waiting for more allocations (they used all the original ones from March). So it looks like at the end of June I can order a RL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DuSpinnst's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DuSpinnst reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DuSpinnst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #13
Rick Tinley Par
Rick Tinley Par is on a distinguished road

Allocations are out now for 2008 SKYs - You dealer should be able to order.

A few things I read lead to this explanation

Sky production is currently limited to about 10,000 a year. That includes the R/L option. Now, the first year of production that had a 2007 SKY being build in a 2006 build year, and a later R/L intro in the 2007 model year most likely will result in a 12000-13000 build - final numbers are not in.

As far as building up a "stock" technically this is a no-no. Each car is supposed to be pre-sold with 1-2 allocations for a floor model. Saturn/GM wants the car to be built as ordered, no inventories. Yes I know some dealers do have inventory - some are R/L trades, some have ordered cars to fill their allotments. But ultimately they want one less car built than ordered to keep the badge rare, a halo or special car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rick Tinley Par's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rick Tinley Par reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rick Tinley Par is offline   Reply With Quote