SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2019, 05:25 PM   #1
mkez1
mkez1 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default V6 Rattling noise - gone when warm

I have a high mileage 2006 Vue V6 that has an engine rattle as you increase revs. It clears once the engine is warm and the car runs fine. I'm wondering if it's something to do with lifters but I don't see a lot of online posts reporting similar issues with the Honda v6. Anyone come across this before?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkez1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkez1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2019, 02:57 PM   #2
bern
Advanced Member
bern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of light

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: V6 Rattling noise - gone when warm

The 3.5 liter V-6 Engine dose not have Hydraulic lifters. It has solid lifters and if one or more were loose they would make noise all of the time and would not change with engine temperature change. Solid lifter engines typically have a light ticking noise at idle. if your VUE has a growl or a vibration noise that changes when shifted to drive or reverse you should take a look at the engine front mount that is in front of the right side strut tower underneath the air filter box.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:04 PM   #3
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

...Sounds like the heat shields possibly. look underneath, when cold ,see if the shields move or are rotted away, take some steel wool and cram some in between the shield and cat. It should take of the rattle, it did in mine, just my.02, DC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:36 PM   #4
JosephN79
JosephN79 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

I had the same problem when I got mine in 2012. I have a 2004. Sometimes Id get a bad rattle when starting engine and Id hear it until engine warmed. Eventually I changed the engine mount under the air box on pass side. The bushing inside was deteriorated, but I think as it warmed up and rubber expanded some it helped insulate from the frame. Anyway. I replaced it and noise was gone. You wont believe all the things I thought it was, and how simple it ended up being. 😁

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JosephN79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JosephN79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JosephN79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:33 PM   #5
jco35
jco35 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephN79 View Post
I had the same problem when I got mine in 2012. I have a 2004. Sometimes Id get a bad rattle when starting engine and Id hear it until engine warmed. Eventually I changed the engine mount under the air box on pass side. The bushing inside was deteriorated, but I think as it warmed up and rubber expanded some it helped insulate from the frame. Anyway. I replaced it and noise was gone. You wont believe all the things I thought it was, and how simple it ended up being. 😁
Same thing happened to me at about 80K. Mount was completely shot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jco35's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jco35 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jco35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:52 AM   #6
JosephN79

2004 VUE Red Line

Jco... I bought mine with 77k miles. I was 80-85k when I finally changed mine, the rubber was shot as well. Made a huge difference when replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JosephN79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2020, 07:50 PM   #7
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

what a coincidence, i'm experiencing this in my Vue.
2007 with 80k miles (florida car).
how big of a job is that motor mount replacement?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2 Ride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:08 PM   #8
jco35

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL2 Ride View Post
what a coincidence, i'm experiencing this in my Vue.
2007 with 80k miles (florida car).
how big of a job is that motor mount replacement?
Not that big of a job. Just make sure to support the engine with a jack before taking the mount off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jco35 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2020, 04:41 PM   #9
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco35 View Post
Not that big of a job. Just make sure to support the engine with a jack before taking the mount off.
is there a good bracing point that's easy to use?
I'd hate to have to just put the jack under the oil pan...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2 Ride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:53 AM   #10
JosephN79

2004 VUE Red Line

I put a 2x6 piece on the jack and oushed up on the oil pan. It doesnt take much pressure at all. You just need to relieve the weight off the mount. The mount on top of the engine is really easy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2020, 07:07 PM   #11
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephN79 View Post
I had a shaking @ highway speeds, had to have some mount bushing replaced to the tune of $550, did not solve the shaking totally, but greatly improved it.

Sounds like the same thing you described, different symptom.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bismarck318's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:21 PM   #12
jco35

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck318 View Post
I had a shaking @ highway speeds, had to have some mount bushing replaced to the tune of $550, did not solve the shaking totally, but greatly improved it.

Sounds like the same thing you described, different symptom.
Have you checked your front engine mount?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!