SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-31-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
95saturn123
95saturn123 is on a distinguished road

Default plantium spark plugs?

i have 95 sl 1.9 dohc and i have seen on the that plantiums are bad but no explantion why. i do have these plugs in my car.....should i replace them? iam dealing with a bad hesitaion could this be my issue? i have no hesition if i turn the throttle slowly but engine does run "alittle" rough and idle.
95saturn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: plantium spark plugs?

The electrode configuration causes a hesitation by changing the ignition electrical characteristics. Change the plugs to NGK BKR5ESA-11. If the plug wires have degraded due to the higher firing voltage required by the platinum plug then you may have to replace those also. Two of the plugs fire from the center electrode to ground and the other 2 are reversed in this type of ignition system.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
95saturn123

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The electrode configuration causes a hesitation by changing the ignition electrical characteristics. Change the plugs to NGK BKR5ESA-11. If the plug wires have degraded due to the higher firing voltage required by the platinum plug then you may have to replace those also. Two of the plugs fire from the center electrode to ground and the other 2 are reversed in this type of ignition system.
perfect thanks!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If that does not fix it post back as there are several low cost possible causes of an initial throttle opening hesitation.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

What OldNuc said.

Just to add a bit of an explanation: Platinum plugs usually work fine, at first. The problem is that Saturn uses what's called a waste-spark system, where the plugs fire, in a set of 2, each time, where the current goes through the wire to one plug, through the engine block, through the other plug, then back to the coil. Because of this, 2 plugs fire "backwards". Platinum plugs are not designed to be fired backwards and erode very quickly (the gap becomes far too big). (Also, they fire twice as many times for a given distance as in other cars, cutting their life in half to begin with.) The same is true of other "fancy" plugs (irradium, etc).

The plain NGK plugs are the best choice, here (even they will have a shorter lifespan than in other cars, because they fire twice as often, but they'll go quite a while, and can easily be re-gaped).

(Platinum plugs are not "bad" though--in cars without waste spark, they can last a lot longer than traditional plugs.)
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

A bit of topic but not far.
I installed a set of Platinum single ground electrode plugs into my 80 CJ-7 that is equipped with a GM HEI distributor modified by DUI. Strangely enough the platinum plugs were not happy with that setup either and had a very short service life. The high intensity spark from the modified distributor incinerated the electrodes.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
regenoldiii
regenoldiii is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

Although, you could probably try the Bosch Iridium +4 (no adjustable gap) plugs, but they're about $12 a piece... so, I'd personally recommend sticking with the tried-and-true cheap NGK's as previously mentioned and using the extra money for some new wires (and don't forget the di-electric grease).

As an FYI... check out Amazon and Rock Auto before you buy at the local parts store. Some of the auto parts on Amazon (esp. when including free shipping) are a fraction of the local auto parts store. Rock Auto is great as well, but for lower dollar items, when you add shipping it may not be worth it.

As an aside... make sure you check your air filter as well. Air filters are cheap and this could also contribute to your poor performance.
Vehicles:
----------
'95 Saturn SC1 (single owner)
'99 Mustang GT (sold)
'09 Toyota RAV Sport
'09 BMW 135i
regenoldiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
95saturn123

still has bad hesition when i first crack open the throttle but if i turn it slowly it does great. now here is some more info.... 95 sl1 1.9 base model...i just rebuilt this engine it was a sohc i put dohc off of a 98 i put a lightweight flywheel cold air intake and very little port and polish work to head. i have check all sensors, and switched injectors. i tried a dohc pcm yesterday off of a 95 and it ran like pure s#**#. now this is a car that i will be racing at local circle track and i dont need hesition that this point. any help will be great! (I have also checked and rechecked the timing..dead on)
Old 09-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95saturn123 View Post
still has bad hesition when i first crack open the throttle but if i turn it slowly it does great. now here is some more info.... 95 sl1 1.9 base model...i just rebuilt this engine it was a sohc i put dohc off of a 98 i put a lightweight flywheel cold air intake and very little port and polish work to head. i have check all sensors, and switched injectors. i tried a dohc pcm yesterday off of a 95 and it ran like pure s#**#. now this is a car that i will be racing at local circle track and i dont need hesition that this point. any help will be great! (I have also checked and rechecked the timing..dead on)
The electronic equivalent of the accelerator pump and power valve are the TPS and MAP. The MAP should have a 103 stamped into the back of the electrical connection projection and the TPS should have a continuous variable resistance end to end with no gaps or skips. The aftermarket replacements are usually not what you want as they have different curves.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:01 AM   #10
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
i tried a dohc pcm yesterday off of a 95 and it ran like pure s#**#.
did you give it enough time to learn the CPS?
SaturnSeries.net owner
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:21 AM   #11
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

What injectors are you using?
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #12
95saturn123

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The electronic equivalent of the accelerator pump and power valve are the TPS and MAP. The MAP should have a 103 stamped into the back of the electrical connection projection and the TPS should have a continuous variable resistance end to end with no gaps or skips. The aftermarket replacements are usually not what you want as they have different curves.
tps is good not sure about the map sensor but however i do extra parts and sensors everywhere and i did switch out the map sensor....nothing
Old 09-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #13
95saturn123

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
did you give it enough time to learn the CPS?
i let it run for about two or three mins but i shut it off due to it back firing and not running for no more 30 sec at a time. should i let it run longer. i do have a very lightweight flywheel on this thing could that be part of my problem?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #14
95saturn123

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
What injectors are you using?

i have tried the shoc and dohc injectors...no change.....fixing to sell this dang thing lol
Old 09-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #15
95saturn123

are the cps's diffrent on the shoc and dohc?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #16
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
i have tried the shoc and dohc injectors...no change.....fixing to sell this dang thing lol
IOW, the SOHC gen-1 injectors and the DOHC gen-2 injectors, right? Dunno for sure, but AFAIK, neither of those would be right. I don't know the exact numbers, but I believe the resistances are different between gen-1 / gen-2 AND between SOHC / DOHC. So I think you need a set of DOHC gen-1 injectors. But look up the numbers (maybe saturnwiki?) and confirm.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
are the cps's diffrent on the shoc and dohc?
No...
Old 09-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you put a DOHC head on a SOHC block you will need as a minimum a DOHC instrument cluster, misc wiring, DOHC injectors, and in your case a 95 DOHC PCM.

You need to read through this... http://saturnwiki.org/index.php/Swap_Guide