SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2016, 07:27 PM   #1
MyCarBroke
MyCarBroke is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 SL2 Car won't shift into any gear, stuck in 1st gear?

Hi there

I have a 2000 Saturn SL2. Today I was in 3rd gear shifting into 2nd gear to make a right turn. I felt a 'pop' sort of noise then the whole stick shift just went completely loose. I can't move the stick into any specific gear and it seems to be stuck in either 1st or 2nd gear. The car itself will drive forward (maxing out at about 20MPH and 4000 RPM).

The clutch pedal itself feels absolutely fine, the pressure when pushing down feels normal.

The stick shift almost feels as if something that was holding a part into place somehow got disconnected and shifted the whole thing to where it's off center.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what this might be? I understand I'll have to take it into a mechanic. I'm curious what you guys think the cost might be for whatever is wrong as well. If you had any ideas that is.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MyCarBroke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MyCarBroke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MyCarBroke is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #2
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2
Default Re: 2000 SL2 Car won't shift into any gear, stuck in 1st gear?

Jack it up, and inspect your shift linkage assembly at the transmission first. Follow the cable all the way back to the firewall, and check for breaks/slop. Pull the center console assembly and continue to check the linkage at the shifter.

You likely need new shift cables, or linkage bushings. Stock are plastic and can become brittle over time.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

^ ^ ^ good place to start. cable may have broken or clips come loose. You don't have to jack it up, though, you can see most of it from above with a good flashlight (don't think you can see the cable at the firewall - you might need to jack it up for that)

If the shifter feels completely floppy, sounds like the shifter bushing inside the car and it's stuck in 2nd. Remove the center console and take a look under the shifter.

http://s950.photobucket.com/user/hun...hift7.jpg.html
You can make a temporary repair with zip ties to hold the cable on, just shift very slowly and carefully. Then get a Delrin or SS bushing from saturnbushingman on ebay.

read this thread, pics and links on page 3
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=116916&page=3
post 46 has a link to the ss bushing

this is a link to the delrin bushing
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-2002-Sa...RJht2g&vxp=mtr

richpins video on console removal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4wbyiSwSBQ

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

Last edited by alordofchaos; 11-24-2016 at 07:37 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:36 PM   #4
MyCarBroke
MyCarBroke is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to say thank you for the responses. Just got the car back from the mechanic. Looks like the issue was with the "Selector Cable" it had snapped. All fixed up now!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MyCarBroke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MyCarBroke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MyCarBroke is offline   Reply With Quote