SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
kaptnjack
kaptnjack will become famous soon enoughkaptnjack will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2
1994 SL2
Default auto 95sw2 2nd gear doesnt fully engage until right before 3rd gear shift?

167K miles 95 sw2 auto

I have only owned this car a couple months and working my way through some minor bugs. This is my 5th saturn but first time with this issue.

Ok....under normal driving and acceleration 2nd gear seems to only partially engage (85%) through the entire range relative to acceleration...then right before it shifts to 3rd, I feel 2nd gear fully lock and then it does a nice, positive but smooth shift into third. This is also the case under hard acceleration. The shift seems ok from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and 3rd tt 4th...TCC feels right too.

If I baby it with only the slightest throttle pressure all gears shift positive and smoothly, right on time, with no perception of slip or slam of any kind. I have no reverse slam issues or other unwanted behaviours. I do however have a little bit of a tranny whine in the lower gears.

The fluid and filter appear to have been changed sometime before I bought it. The seller seemed to be somewhat service/maintenence oriented. Nice and pink with no smell.

The car runs great and is certainly drivable and reliable as it is. I have put about 3500 miles on the car so far so its all good in that respect.

I have read, followed and searched threads and read purdue, barnowl and oldnucs post among others.

I have not done any additives yet, or any mechanical or electrical tests.....only drivability analysis.

I have read threads about using prolong and SeaFoam Tranny additives and following the reverse slam procedures to clear obstructions and possible sludge from the valvebody and tubes followed by a filter swap and synthetic fluids. Just wanted some input on a couple little things I might try to improve my situation.

what you say?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaptnjack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaptnjack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaptnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1
Default Re: auto 95sw2 2nd gear doesnt fully engage until right before 3rd gear shift?

You say the TCC feels good but try making a run with your left foot on the brake just enough to light the brake lights to take that out of the equation. One thing I like about these autos is their generous use of TCC, making it feel more like a stick shift.

And does it behave the same when stone cold? What if you pick manual 2nd with the shifter?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
kaptnjack
kaptnjack will become famous soon enoughkaptnjack will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2
1994 SL2
Default Re: auto 95sw2 2nd gear doesnt fully engage until right before 3rd gear shift?

maybe slightly improved when cold, shifts are bit crisper but, I tend not to throttle it too much until it warms up and lately its been so cold that I have been letting the car warm up in the garage before takeoff. I havent tried the 2nd gear selector...thats a good tip...I will try that later today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kaptnjack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
kaptnjack

1995 SW2
1994 SL2

ok...went for a little drive and closer inspection.

when cold....all shifts are nice and crisp at all throttle conditions.

as she begins to warm up...the "slipping" begins to get more noticable.

Also...the "slipping" is actually still present even at the slightest throttle therough the gear changes. It is no intermittent and exhibits this condition at all throttle positions and Revs.

Note: its not really a "slip" but more of a "not fully engaged...feel"

I tried starting off in drive and when it shifted to 2nd I pulled the selector into "2" and it still had the same feel.

Now....based on my reading the last couple days several comments on the automatic refer to it as a "8 speed" because of the way the TCC ;ocks in each gear. So...assuming 1st and TCC lock then 2nd and TCC lock then 3rd and TCC lock etc.

It seems based on that expected behavior that the TCC is not locking fully in second until the end of the range between shift points.

I hope that made sense.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
Special Forces
Special Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

The torque converter does not lock in 1st gear, at all. The torque converter is engaged when the car is warmed up and locks in every gear except 1st.

It sounds like a leaking booster valve or weak pressure regulator spring. Does reverse have any slam when warm? Cold the fluid is nice and thick but warm it gets thin and starts not making a seal in the booster. This would be a valve body repair.

/// Need rebuilt valve bodies? PM Me. \\\
//// Why bother with ebay when I'm right here? \\\\\
Valve bodies built to order

Please PM me about valve bodies, do not post a visitor message.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Special Forces's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Special Forces reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Special Forces is offline   Reply With Quote