SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 05-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
saturn_sl
saturn_sl is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Default Need serious electrical help!

Whats up guys I have a serious electrical help. I have a 1996 saturn sl1 manual. I swapped a dohc motor into it its been running fine for over 5000 miles since the swap. Suddenly it did not want to start. The only way it starts is if I run a jumper to the pcm 1 fuse? All the other fuses ger 12 v accept the middle block of fuses. Any ideas would be great. I wanna get my saturn up n going again. Thanks
saturn_sl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Need serious electrical help!

The middle block is associated directly with the center connector on the back of the UHJB. I would lift up the UHJB after disconnecting the negative(first) and the positive battery cables and then remove the center 68 pin connector and eyeball all the connector and UHJB pins. If you fine a dirty one clean it up with the well worn scotch brite and go from there. Now the power for the PCM I comes directly from the ignition switch and that may be the source of your problem and it is easier to check. The ignition switch schematic with pin numbers and wire colors is in my photo gallery. With key in ON you should have 12v to ground on ignition switch pin F, pink wire. There are only 8 wires to deal with on the switch so check there first. You can do this by just turning the key to on and then checking the pink wire.

If the switch is good post back and I will get you the rest of the pin-connector numbers you need to isolate the problem. I have the 96 schematics which are slightly different than the later gen-2 cars.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
saturn_sl

1996 SL1

Is the uhjb plug the one that plugs into the fuse box? If so ive pulled it out and cleaned it it looked pretty clean. I will get around to checking the ignition when I get outta wrk.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The fuse box is correctly called the UHJB, under hood junction block. The connector in question is the center one on the bottom but I suspect the switch. If there is 12v at the switch to ground then the fun will start figuring out where it is getting lost.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
saturn_sl

1996 SL1

I will check the ignition. Ive checked the main relay under the steering wheel I have 12v to that relay in and out of it I dunno if that matters. I will have to look thru ur photos to see what I need to check. I will get back to you as soon as I check the ignition. 2 mechanics could not figure it out so I decided to try and do it myself. I appreciate ur help alot.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Locate the connector on the back of the ignition switch, push a straight pin into the pink wire - carefully as it is easy to ram it into your finger. Connect a meter between the pin and ground, turn key to run. What may or may not happen is you read 12v. The usual point of failure is this switch as the pink wire eventually ends up powering PCM I fuse.

To get pins into wires back them up with a small piece of wood and push the pin with a pair of pliers. You do not have to tape up the hole as it will close back up on its own over several hours. There are only 8 pins on the connector and all colors are different. There is a black wire that is ground if you want to use that for your meter ground.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:04 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

This should be an easy fix actually.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
saturn_sl

1996 SL1

Awesome ill get to testing everything on sat on my day off. Pshh hopefully its easy its been down for almost a month already.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #9
saturn_sl

1996 SL1

Its a weird problem I can put power to the bu lamp fuse too and it will start its just that center block that is getting no power but I will post back with what I find.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:06 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Go look at the ignition switch schematic and you will see why powering the BU fuse makes it work.

In the UHJB the following is powered from pin F-3
EGR
EIS
INJ
BG/U Lamp
PCM-I
so it is likely all of these are dead along with the PCM-I
Old 05-29-2014, 09:23 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

These are the drawings for the 96 ignition switch.

http://imgur.com/4RRepv3
http://imgur.com/F94gvWM
http://imgur.com/Mtf0j5K

Depending where the failure is there should be dead loads out of the I/P Panel as well.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:02 AM   #12
saturn_sl

1996 SL1

Makes prefect sense. That's why all my dash lights don't work. The ses light oil light etc..I will post back with what I find Thanks again for ur help.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:12 AM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

More or less why I think the switch crapped out.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #14
saturn_sl

1996 SL1

Well I just checked the pink wore on the switch. I got 12v going thru it. I noticed in that middle column. I got power only to the ac and the pcm b fuse all the other ones are not getting voltage.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:51 PM   #15
saturn_sl

1996 SL1

I also noticed those 2 turn on and off with the ignition.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:54 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

ON the BLACK 68 pin connector on the back of the i/p panel turn key to ON and check F10 and F11 for 12v to ground. Be careful to not slip. You can make contact with the back of the wire connector inside of the black connector without removing anything. Those pins are shown on sheet #1 of the sheets I linked above. The F column runs u and down on the column closest to the front of the car and #1 is at the bottom so count up to 10 and 11.

Sheet 2 got lost here...

This is sheet #2 http://imgur.com/npAkG8n

You need 1 and 3 from the post above and this one to trace this out.

Last edited by OldNuc; 05-31-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:12 PM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you find 12v to ground on the black 68 pin connector F10 and F11 with the key in ON then check the BLACK 68 pin connector in the UHJB pin F-3 for 12v to ground.
All is shown on the 3 sheets for ignition switch.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:01 AM   #18
saturn_sl

1996 SL1

I'm a little new to all this electrical stuff but ill pop the kick panel off tomorrow and look for the connector to check for the 12 v on those 2 wires. Thank you for ur help it is much appreciated.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You get at it from the drivers side of the center console and it is the big connector all the way to the front of the panel. It is not hard to reach. Somewhere the 12v is going away, that is the problem and the idea is to find out where and then pick the lowest cost easiest fix.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #20
saturn_sl

1996 SL1

Ok awesome will check tomorrow so its where that chime box is sort of behind there correct?