SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue

Old 07-16-2020, 11:29 AM   #1
grumpy24
grumpy24 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.2L
Default 2008 Vue Electrical Problems

I have a 2008 Saturn Vue with 135,000 miles and am having electrical problems for about 6 months. Occasionally when I try to start the car everything on the front panel is blank. As I repeatedly turn the key hoping the lights will return, different things happen. Sometimes I cannot get the key out of the ignition and the panel and heater control knob lights blink. Other times, I can see the mileage, temperature, and compass reading is back lite, but when I turn the key from ignition to start everything goes blank. After about 20 to 30 minutes the car will start.

I wrote to a “Ask the Car Doctor” in a loca paper and he thought it might be a loose ground or a wire going to the fuse box.

When I brought it to the mechanic the problem did not repeat itself for him. They checked the fault codes, changed the ignition switch. They also disconnecting the radio which did not help.

When the problem finally occurred when the mechanic could observe he felt that an aftermarket remote starting system was the cause and removed it. This seemed to help for a period of time but due to COVID-19 and “shelter in place” restrictions I was not driving the car very often so I may be wrong.

Lately we have found when the problem occurs closing the door aggressively corrected the problem for that occasion. Also noticed that the problem is usually preceded by several instrument lights going on and off with beeping while driving. Also the traction control system and low tire pressure lights will come on and stay on. Usually when this happens the starting problem occurs the next time I try to start the car.

Appreciate any suggestions. Also be interested knowing of a dealer/mechanic in vicinity of Worcester, MA who may have already experienced this problem.
grumpy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2020, 08:17 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: 2008 Vue Electrical Problems

Leave the key in the RUN position with the door open and wiggle each relay in the underhood fuse panel. If you hear the chime (as you normally would if you cycled the key again) while wiggling a relay, you've narrowed the problem down to that particular relay.

If that doesn't change anything, try pulling and reseating all the relays and fuses. The relays should be somewhat difficult to remove. Over time the terminals gripping the relays in the underhood fuse block sometimes spread slightly more open and cause a weak connection. This can cause weird anomalies.

You can remove the fuse panel, disassemble it, and squeeze the terminals back if necessary together. Take a picture of the top of the fuses beforehand so you know where they go because you'll need to remove all of them to disassemble the fuse panel.

The odd thing is that opening/closing the door affects it. This suggests that there may be a broken wire in the door jamb.

Has the battery been checked?
Do you know what codes the mechanic was able to see?
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 196K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 53K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:14 PM   #3
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

The tip in this video is for a 2003, but maybe still relevant for 2008...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH8DhoKOiuY
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:53 AM   #4
grumpy24

2008 VUE 2.2L

Thank you for responding. Will check both suggestions out.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:54 AM   #5
grumpy24

2008 VUE 2.2L

Hi,

Have a followup question. Had car in the shop for about two weeks during which they were not able to duplicate the problem I stated previously.

Since picking up the car and driving it for several weeks the problem has not repeated, however, there is a device on the front windshield (posted picture), at the top just to the left of center, which I believe has to do with security, that has two blue lights which flash continually whether being driven or parked.

Might not mean anything but I do not use the fob but hand lock the door.

Before I go back to the shop would anyone have advice on how to shut the flashing off and what if anything may happen if they are off? Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0506-640x480.JPG (33.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-13-2020, 07:09 AM   #6
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

It appears to be the receiver/antenna for a remote start/alarm system.
You can see the device in the attached pic...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg code alarm.jpg (61.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-13-2020, 08:52 AM   #7
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

I think the white button may be for activating the valet mode. It could be that the shop put the alarm in Valet mode. lf you can find the model number of the unit under the dash, there may be a manual posted on the internet somewhere.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:22 PM   #8
grumpy24

2008 VUE 2.2L

Thanks, imaddicted2u Just to confirm the unit your suggesting I look for a model number on is the module sitting in front of the box in the picture?
Old 08-13-2020, 10:28 PM   #9
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

I think you should record the numbers on the module on the windshield and there should be a code-alarm box under the dash as well. The windshield module may have been used on multiple models so the numbers from the box under the dash would be more important.
Do you have the key fobs for the alarm and/or remote start?
Old 08-22-2020, 04:34 PM   #10
acdc
acdc is on a distinguished road

I have had the same problem and it just got worse. The battery cover contains your pcm. Next time it does this, move that around or smack it and see if it comes back. I wasted many dollars carrying mine in for that problem and nobody could help. I finally got pissed and went out and started running things down. I FINALLY found that one of the three connectors on the pcm had a wire shorted on the pcm. It burned one of the terminal pins or whatever they are called off. It was making a connection sometimes and sometimes it wasn't. I ended up getting another pcm off of ebay and replaced it. It is a pain in the ass getting it started back up after that. I carried it to a mechanic and he had to program or flash it or whatever that was called. I ended up replacing the pigtails on two of the connectors on the pcm because of connection problems. I have more problems now in that all of my warning lights are flasing for no reason. I have had it parked for a while and am starting to work on that. I like the car but the wiring electrical problems suck. good luck
acdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:22 PM   #11
grumpy24

2008 VUE 2.2L

Thanks ACDC, Appreciate your taking the time to send me the message. Sorry so late in replying. In my case I have had no problems since I picked the car up from the shop even though they say they did nothing except to start it repeatedly hoping that the symptoms I encountered would repeat themselves. Because the transmission was in Park when it arrived on the flat bed they did have to dis-assemble the front console. Perhaps the taking apart and reassembly corrected the problem without anyone realizing it did.

The only problem are the two blue led that keep flashing. Not a problem during the day but a real pain at night. I am going to have the mechanic try to shut them off.

I will show them your message and see if that triggers something.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:39 PM   #12
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

It sounds like the shift cable got readjusted as part of the reassembling the console. Which may have put the transmission range selector (neutral switch) back in sync.
The blue leds are associated with the aftermarket code-alarm system that appears to be installed in your vehicle. Not knowing the model number, I can't look up the instructions but the blinking may indicate the system was placed in valet mode. There could be a switch for valet mode under the dash or a button sequence on the Code-Alarm remote to enter/exit valet mode.
This is an excerpt from a Code-Alarm manual I found on the net:
"Valet Mode is used to temporarily prevent the alarm system from automatically disabling the vehicle starter (and ignition, if the optional vehicle immobilizer is connected), and stop the alarm from arming when the Automatic Arming option is enabled on your security system. This is useful when servicing your vehicle."
Old 08-29-2020, 07:48 PM   #13
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

Oops, forgot this part...might be your blue leds...
"the status indicator will flash once every 1/2 second"
Put some electrical tape over them to avoid the annoyance until you can get them turned off.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:56 PM   #14
grumpy24

2008 VUE 2.2L

Well, I was wrong when I told ACDC that I thought my electrical problems had been solved. No such luck.

This past week it started happening again intermittently. First time to my wife who was alone. Tonight it happened and I was driving and stopped to do an errand. After waiting about 20 minutes for the problem to correct itself I remembered your msg and opened the hood and just shook the box on top of the battery. Was able to start the car. Was it a fluke? I will look a little deeper at the battery area.