SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2011, 01:47 AM   #1
azcromntic
azcromntic is on a distinguished road

Default help with bracket to block bolt size

Just bought a 97 SW2 with the dual overhead cam engine. I was just looking things over with the wheels off and I noticed a couple bolts missing from the brackets that attach to the block on the passenger side. The brackets are also attached to the dogbone motor mount.

Maybe a part number would be good but I can get bolts from Ace Hardware. OR, if I knew the name of the brackets I could call a junk yard and get them. IDEALLY I could just get the bolt size, length and thread pitch (is that right, thread pitch...anyway).

I've search the forum here for two days now and only find information about the motor mount at the top of the engine, which is okay because my pen slips between the metal and the rubber so I'll be back for the info I've already found for that motor mount.

Also, it seems my fuel pump might be bad. Well, I've troubleshot all the throttle body components, cleaned throttle body, changed vacuum lines, cleaned EGR, changed the ECTS, new fuel filter and finally (working backwards I guess) I put a fuel pressure guage on the cock.

While I was stranded on the side of the road it read 5 psi with key on, then 20'ish while running rough. So I banged on the fuel tank and ZOOOOM the pressure is now up to 42 with key on and 38 while running. I'm under the impression banging on the fuel tank is a temporary fix? Should I run it some more? It had been sitting for some time with only about 2 gallons of gas in it (Previous owners did that). Recommendations?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to azcromntic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help azcromntic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
azcromntic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: help with bracket to block bolt size

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcromntic View Post
I noticed a couple bolts missing from the brackets that attach to the block on the passenger side. The brackets are also attached to the dogbone motor mount.
If you mean just the bracket to block bolts there should be four IIRC. I'd just pull one that's there and get some equivalent #8 bolts from ACE. Torque is 70 Nm (52 lb ft).

Quote:
I've search the forum here for two days now and only find information about the motor mount at the top of the engine, which is okay because my pen slips between the metal and the rubber
Not OK, that means it's shot.

Quote:
I'm under the impression banging on the fuel tank is a temporary fix? Should I run it some more? It had been sitting for some time with only about 2 gallons of gas in it (Previous owners did that).
It could be that it was just gummed up from sitting low with old crappy E+ gas? I'd try running a few tanks with Techron FI cleaner and then checking the KO pressure. 97's are notorious for developing a sticking check valve were it quickly drops to 0 immediately after the engine is turned off. In that case a new FP is a REALLY good idea (from experience).

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:58 AM   #3
azcromntic

So you're saying the bolt or bolt holes are #8? How long is a #8?

P.S.
I just got my Factory Service Manual and I'm not familiar with it. It is electronic form. Maybe there is a list of bolts in it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bracket.JPG (132.3 KB, 8 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help azcromntic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2011, 02:34 AM   #4
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Guess I should have said grade? #8 is the hardness. I wouldn't go any less on an engine fitting.
http://www.americanfastener.com/tech...ings_steel.asp

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

Last edited by off-track; 03-13-2011 at 02:46 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2011, 01:35 AM   #5
azcromntic

Thread pitch?
Length?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
off-track
Master Member

1997 SL2

Sorry, don't know. Easiest would be to just pull one of the existing bolts and match it at the store.. They are all the same.

Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
azcromntic

Quote:
Originally Posted by off-track View Post
Sorry, don't know. Easiest would be to just pull one of the existing bolts and match it at the store.. They are all the same.
I didn't realize until after I found replacements at Ace Hardware that there was no pressure on the brackets. Even though there were only one bolt in each side bracket the bracket itself was moveable by hand and I actually could have taken one out. Regardless, I eyeballed it and found what fits. Ace Hardware sells the grade 8 flange bolts in size 10 x 1.5. I used the bolts that were 25mm long. It's a 15mm head. Also, their numbering system is different: A grade 8 bolt is stamped with "10.9".

So, the size is 10
Thread pitch 1.5
length (that worked) is 25mm

Thanks for the help all!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!