SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
redsput
redsput is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Changing the manual trans fluid L200

I'm normally not such an apparent idiot - but I don't see any obvious means to drain and refill my manual transmission on my 01' L200. I'm at 67k, and do a fair amount of light towing - figure it's due. Any help out there?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redsput's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redsput reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redsput is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
redsput

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Changing the manual trans fluid L200

Someone MUST know how to do this? C'mon, help me out here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help redsput reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-08-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Don't feel left out.
I'm looking forward to a response as well.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:02 AM   #4
redsput

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

What, is this some highly guarded secret designed to force owners to go back to the outrageously overpriced dealer service arena?

Ok - another question. Do either the Haynes or Chilton manuals cover this? (Someone must have one...) I'll glady go buy one if they do... Still be about $75 cheaper overall than the dealer service charge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-09-2006, 10:09 AM   #5
travman514
travman514 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

a chiltons or hayes manual will tell you. $12-$15.not bad and not a waste considering you will probably use it often

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to travman514's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help travman514 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
travman514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
redsput

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I'm feeling the need for a drill and tap excursion. Stupid car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-09-2006, 10:39 PM   #7
lostwages_ls2
lostwages_ls2 is on a distinguished road

I just looked in my Haynes manual. It's not in there...

Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lostwages_ls2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lostwages_ls2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lostwages_ls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:09 AM   #8
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

There is a drain plug on the drivers side of the trans, behind the axle. Take it out with the fluid very warm, but not hot enough to scald. Let drain for a few minutes, replace drain plug. Fill plug is actually about 5 inches or so above it and to the right, in the most awkward spot ever. Take hte fill plug out, pour Saturn manual transaxle lubricant P/N 21018899 into the fill hole until it comes out of it..... literally. You know it is full when the fluid drains from the fill hole.

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:16 PM   #9
forestgump
forestgump is on a distinguished road

And get ready to pay almost 50 bucks for 2 qts of the saturn manual fluid what a scam!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to forestgump's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help forestgump reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
forestgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:29 AM   #10
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

WOW, at the dealer I work at it is only $12-13/qt..... Something is up there. Now the RDM fluid, that is some expensive stuff, so is DEX CVT....

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:56 PM   #11
redsput

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I put Mobil ATF in there based on advice from a local mechanic. Am I asking for trouble? (btw, those plugs are 8mm hex for those interested... and the Chilton manual doesn't really cover this either.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2006, 08:33 PM   #12
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

I believe the getrag behind the ecotec uses normal ATF, you should be fine. (Its quite a step up actually)

If I remember right, when I had a 4cyl vue I was going to put mobil1 ATF in the case...

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #13
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

hi redsput, big daddy and other sages- have wrestled with this issue. what I found out- this trans comes from the factory with red atf in it. Lseries owner manual says to change its fluid at 100 k miles. mine has 187k since new, no fluid change. no problem, shifts fine. problem is to remove the top plug to check and fill the trans is very awkward - very difficult to access and apply adequate leverage. normal 8mm allen wrench itself twists when torked. concerned about stripping the 6point hole in the plug face. then you would be faced with a genuine clusterf!#$k. bet shyster would say have to remove the trans to remove plug. brutha would that be a trip to the cleaners. helluva engineering design. hope a sage here has a better answer than me. thanks tons bob f btw- no diagram/picture in Haynes or chilton, but dealer service manual for 01 Saturn L100 has a picture of the side of the transaxle depicting the positions of the fill and drain plugs. years ago a Saturn service manager ran me a copy of this for free.(Chevrolet dealers have these Saturn service manuals now probably would only charge you $100 for it today).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:41 PM   #14
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I actually did this on my LS1 (scrapped last year). The plugs are secured with thread locking compound (glue). I still have the 8mm hex key with the short end cut down. I used a small pipe over the long end of the key. Watch your knuckles when it lets go. A bit of heat might help. They key does flex quite a bit. The Factory Manual (I still have these) says to drain, fill, drain, fill again. Not likely at that fluid cost (relabeled Castrol MTF 0060). One tip I have used for a number of jobs: I have a small scissor jack that can be located between the body/frame and the engine or tranny, then jacked a bit to give more room to work. You deflect the rubber mounts a bit. But I don't think I used this trick for this job. But it was a looong time ago. One more thing- a moly oil additive for the MT is magic stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote