SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 12:32 AM   #1
Saturn Ion 3
Saturn Ion 3 is on a distinguished road

Question Engine Break in

I was wondering on average, how many miles for an Ion to break in? I have a manual, does that matter? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Ion 3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Ion 3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2003, 12:37 AM   #2
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

The manual says 500 miles, but I'd give it 1K. The parts through the car will still be adjusting up to 3-5K miles as everything seats properly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2003, 12:42 AM   #3
Saturn Ion 3
Saturn Ion 3 is on a distinguished road

I have 1800 miles on my baby So are you saying that my car is 80% broke in? Or what? And i am thinking of getting an oil change appointment ready. I know it doesn't hurt it but will it be a waste of a free oil change or should i get one now?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Ion 3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Ion 3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2003, 12:51 AM   #4
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Your car is pretty much broken in. You really don't have to bring it in for an oil change yet, especially if you are driving it regularly and not past 3K or 4 months.

Put about 700 more miles on your Ion and make an apointment around 3K.

The thing about the car is for the next few thousand miles you can pretty much expect the mpg to improve still, especially in a stick, so just keep on driving, enjoy, and it sounds like you and your new Ion should be in good shape.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2003, 07:36 AM   #5
GIZMO
GIZMO is on a distinguished road

I have 29,725 miles at this time on my Ion 3. Day after day it runs quieter and quieter........ Things do settle in as time goes on......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GIZMO's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GIZMO reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2003, 10:07 AM   #6
SonataInFSharp
SonataInFSharp is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I have 9,000 on my ION and I still drive it like it's breaking in; but I did redline it to the fuel cuttoff at 386 miles... we'll have to see if there are any long term affects at 100,000.

*Drive it like you bought it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SonataInFSharp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SonataInFSharp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2003, 11:00 AM   #7
Darvell
Darvell is on a distinguished road

My dealer said 500 miles was sufficient. I did most of that in one day driving to Vegas, where I work. I kept varying the speed from 65-82 or so. Kind of annoying, but fun at the same time.

My salesman said that the break-in period is easier on Saturns because of the aluminum block against the aluminum heads, as opposed to iron on aluminum. Since different metals expand differently due to heat, other engines need more break-in time than aluminum on aluminum engines.

Don't know if that's true, but it sounded good to me.

I'm at about 1500 miles now and getting about 29-32mph.

Darvell

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Darvell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Darvell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2003, 12:28 PM   #8
rehm70
rehm70 is on a distinguished road

I have 920 miles on my QC, and will change the oil filter today. any competent person can change his/her oil filter, it's on top of the motor, just to the left of the dipstick. take off black cover, pull out, replace filter, replace cover. add whatever oil you lost. I cannot over emphasize the importance of a filter change when the car is new. Whatever wear the engine will have, most of it occurs on startup, especially during the first few thousand miles, parts that rub on each other, like the valvetrain will develop a wear pattern. It is much better with todays overhead camshafts, and roller valvetrains, but I believe that an 8$ oil filter to get whatever metallic filings are in the motor out, is very cheap insurance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rehm70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rehm70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread