SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 08:24 AM   #1
Jeff P
Jeff P is on a distinguished road

Default Not good

So Ion sales are down 44% compared to last year's S-series sales for last month. That is awful. They're practically giving them away with the big incentives and 0% financing too.

On the other hand, the Vue is selling like hotcakes. 54% increase from last year.

Comments? Theories? Suggestions?

jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jeff P's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jeff P reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2003, 08:31 AM   #2
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

New model without enough advance publicity & marketing. What publicity it did get was a bad rap from the automotive press.
On the other hand, L-Series were up a couple notches.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2003, 09:30 AM   #3
haypops
haypops is on a distinguished road

The characterization of ION sales is a little harsh. May sales were over 10,000 units while the previous months sales were just 4000 units. Actually its all just starting to ramp up. The quad coupe, the excellent crash results, and the award from vision whatever just all mean continued month to month increases.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haypops's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haypops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2003, 09:36 AM   #4
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

maybe the ion's weirdness is turning off customers? can't blame that on advertising.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2003, 10:07 AM   #5
SonataInFSharp
SonataInFSharp is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

The S-car last year would have been selling for 10-ish years. The ION hasn't been through it's first model year yet, so of course last year's S-series sales would be higher than the ION at the same time of year-- as the model would have already been established for a decade.

*Drive it like you bought it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SonataInFSharp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SonataInFSharp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2003, 10:33 AM   #6
mikthehickNC
mikthehickNC is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SL1

Personally, I really think that people avoid first year models. I always will, just because they aren't proven yet. The changes that are coming probably won't hurt either.

2005 Mazda6 Hatch

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikthehickNC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikthehickNC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2003, 10:37 AM   #7
Jeff P

Well Honda is selling more '03 Accords than they were '02 Accords last year. Toyota sold 36,000 Corollas, up 27% from last year. I don't think a blanket statement that a new model won't immediately sell as well as the previous model holds up. If anything, a new and improved model should outsell the previous model.

Good point about the Quad Coupe. Only seen a few of those on the road so far, so the numbers should improve as sales get up to pace.

I think the (in my opinion) lousy ads, generally poor reviews, and weirdness are probably all conspiring to hurt sales.

jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jeff P reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2003, 12:14 PM   #8
WHITE98SL2
Advanced Member
WHITE98SL2 is on a distinguished road

the Interior and poor reviews.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WHITE98SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WHITE98SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2003, 06:04 PM   #9
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

That maybe the reasons.......Interior, poor review and no surprises.

In SUV dominance market, small new car like ION will have a tough time when it doesn't carry enough brand reputation (like Honda, Toyota) and top-graded plastics....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-12-2003, 05:29 PM   #10
erick295
erick295 is on a distinguished road

I know I wouldn't buy one because of the interior. If it had a normal design, then I'd get one without hesitation.

I think more and more people are going for Japanese cars, though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to erick295's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help erick295 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-12-2003, 07:47 PM   #11
Bigsmoker
Bigsmoker is on a distinguished road

Personally when i was having my 30,000 mile service on my SC2 done i mosied out for a looksie at the ION . For me the interior just didnt hack it. They should have stuck with the SC /SL models gave us a full insterment package with the onstar system available

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigsmoker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigsmoker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2003, 02:41 AM   #12
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

ION first year sales will not be a good judge overall for the same reason that SAAB sales aren't so hot the first year: They're both quirky cars. By quirky I mean they stand apart from all their competitors in ways that don't put them "above" the fold, but more of a side-step. For example, the IONs center IP, polymer panels, and variety of unusual textures in the dash make it unique, but many find it too unique and uncomfortable to grasp the concept, like the SAAB having the ignition in the center console between the seats.

It's for just these reasons that new models from both companies receive luke-warm receptions from both car reviewers and the general public, but raving fans from brand loyalists.

just my 1.36 cents

Pete

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2003, 07:15 AM   #13
Jeff P

Actually the new 9-3 is selling very well, 64% increase year to date over last year's model. But you're right about how having too many "unique" features might turn people off, the new 9-3 is a lot more mainstream than the old one, which in addition to the numerous improvements is probably why it's selling so well.

jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-13-2003, 07:40 AM   #14
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Post Re: Not good

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff P
So Ion sales are down 44% compared to last year's S-series sales for last month. That is awful. They're practically giving them away with the big incentives and 0% financing too.

On the other hand, the Vue is selling like hotcakes. 54% increase from last year.

Comments? Theories? Suggestions?
If you look at the raw numbers provided in Charlie's story, the ION outsold the VUE in May by nearly 4000 units. In fact the L series which is considered to be a slow seller outsold the VUE in raw numbers. Yet a conclusion is drawn that the VUE is selling "like hotcakes". It seems to me that many of these relative conclusions are simply opinions based on random comparisons that various individuals think are important.
At the end of the day, it won't be comparisons to last year's, last month's or other model's sales that count but only the total number of units sold and the profitablity of the model at that particular level of sales. I believe the ION is on track to have a respectable first year but I'm going to withold judgement until the results of the next few critical months are in. At this point however I don't feel there is any reason to panic or consider the ION to be a sales failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2003, 08:04 AM   #15
Jeff P

True, the Ion and L did outsell the Vue. But they're supposed to. They are in bigger market segments. In 1994 Saturn sold 286,000 S series cars. This had dropped dramatically down to the 150,000 range by the end of it's run, but it gives you an idea of the numbers they're shooting for. Anyone know what the sales predictions were? I know for the Vue it was 50-60,000 per year range. They're on track to beat the projections with the Vue, I'd be suprised if that was the case with the Ion.

Perhaps it's too early to tell, maybe the Quad Coupe will really sell well and the Redline will provide a halo effect. I guess I was just hoping sales would be good from the get go.

jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-13-2003, 05:49 PM   #16
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff P
In 1994 Saturn sold 286,000 S series cars. This had dropped dramatically down to the 150,000 range by the end of it's run, but it gives you an idea of the numbers they're shooting for.
I will be very interested in seeing how many total new Saturns are sold in 2003. I think the total is in some ways more important than the individual model breakdown. In 1994 customers had the choice of three body styles and two engines on one basic platform. Now we have three platforms, still two engines and a much larger choice of styles and grades on each platform. Saturn now has some competition among its own lines for customers who want a Saturn. In the last two Saturns I bought, I comparison shopped Saturn models against each other. In my case a VTi VUE won out over a LW200 and an ION 3 was chosen over an L200. The choice for me was clear but yet close both times. Each one counted however as one new Saturn sold.
If the current sales figures continue at similar rates, the overall company sales should be well over 200,000 units. Although I'm sure the company would like each model to sell higher numbers the grand total may be acceptable in our currently weak economy. We'll better see in another couple of months.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2003, 11:13 AM   #17
chance 01-sc2
chance 01-sc2 is on a distinguished road

i got a sugestoin that i have been saying for years. maby not on this forum but to my friends and stuff. but to do this they would have to bring back the s-series. bring back the 3rd gen sc2 with minor changes ( more agressive style seats for one ) and put a turbo in it wich comes fron factory with around 7 lbs of boost. that would be killer and if they let it put out decient hp , say around 210, and keep it around $20k, they wouldent be able to build them fast enough. it is like the new chevy ss concept. if they keep it how the concept looke they would sell like twinkies around anna nicole. i think they should do that. just my opinin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chance 01-sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chance 01-sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2003, 12:50 PM   #18
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by chance 01-sc2
i got a sugestoin that i have been saying for years. maby not on this forum but to my friends and stuff. but to do this they would have to bring back the s-series. bring back the 3rd gen sc2 with minor changes ( more agressive style seats for one ) and put a turbo in it wich comes fron factory with around 7 lbs of boost. that would be killer and if they let it put out decient hp , say around 210, and keep it around $20k, they wouldent be able to build them fast enough. it is like the new chevy ss concept. if they keep it how the concept looke they would sell like twinkies around anna nicole. i think they should do that. just my opinin

I've also wondered why GM never allowed Saturn to turbo or supercharge an S series car.

It seems like the Red Line Ion will address this need, but it also appears GM is going this direction because they see the econobox tuner market for Honda and because domestic makers like Dodge are making cars like the SRT-4.

Overall I think the halo effect is more important because the level of interest in the more powerful cars is very targetted and unless the Red Line proves itself over time in performance many tuner people will always look at Civic's and other imports that actually created this segment and supported it.

I really like the Saab 9-3, but the crazy thing is the power train as far as the 5 speed auto is exactly the same, without the turbo. The cost is around $30K+.

If the Red Line Ion with a supercharger is $20K and $10K lower than the Saab, then it is quite possible this car will steal sales from other GM brands and cost the company money in the end.

I think this fear is the main reason they skipped on making the S with turbo or a supercharger and GM is not making the Red Line series because of customer desire and they are more reacting to what the competition has already been doing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2003, 02:51 PM   #19
GreyDuck
Advanced Member
GreyDuck is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

Just wait until the redline. The ION is a little underpowered compared to most other sedans.

Brian
2001 Ford Focus ZTS
1992 Saturn SL2
Go UofL Cardinals!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreyDuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreyDuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2003, 10:20 PM   #20
zborgerd
zborgerd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by GreyDuck
Just wait until the redline. The ION is a little underpowered compared to most other sedans.
Um... Right. My ION could smoke most other sedans.

Don't blame the ION for the 5 speed auto's shifitng paterns putting it right where a Civic EX sits. That isn't slow by any means, and the manual is a whole different story.

More pessimism from "Saturnfans".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zborgerd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zborgerd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread