SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #1
RGRG68
RGRG68 has a spectacular aura aboutRGRG68 has a spectacular aura aboutRGRG68 has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Does anyone in here know how to do the 4 headlight mod?

I have searched the SF posts and can't find anything detailed about doing this mod with the 02-05 vue.. others may work too, but i'm stuck.. Some have said they did it but won't give the how.. I read a web page detailing how a guy with a chevy malibu did this mod... It looked like this was the way.. but another person with a 98 saturn posted in comments it screwed his wiring and lights up.. So I stopped in my tracks and thought I would try asking here one last time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RGRG68's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RGRG68 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RGRG68 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #2
SylenThunder
SylenThunder is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Does anyone in here know how to do the 4 headlight mod?

This relay should do what you're thinking, but the price is a little steep for what you're getting IMHO.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-30822/overview/

I believe this kit runs similar to the setup I have on the Vue, but the Vue's system is almost 10 years old now.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/wi...n-harness.html

I know the harness I'm using was basically off a 2008 Pontiac Vibe Bi-Xenon kit. I modified some of the connections to tap it into the Vue.

2004 FWD, Vti, 2.2L
Custom CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SylenThunder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SylenThunder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SylenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:46 AM   #3
RGRG68
RGRG68 has a spectacular aura aboutRGRG68 has a spectacular aura aboutRGRG68 has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
This relay should do what you're thinking, but the price is a little steep for what you're getting IMHO.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-30822/overview/

I believe this kit runs similar to the setup I have on the Vue, but the Vue's system is almost 10 years old now.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/wi...n-harness.html

I know the harness I'm using was basically off a 2008 Pontiac Vibe Bi-Xenon kit. I modified some of the connections to tap it into the Vue.
Thanks for the info! I have what I have though.. A relay, a fuse , some wire.. And If I can't figure this out.. I'll maybe buy another relay to just make what I have brighter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RGRG68 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
SylenThunder

2003 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRG68 View Post
Thanks for the info! I have what I have though.. A relay, a fuse , some wire.. And If I can't figure this out.. I'll maybe buy another relay to just make what I have brighter.
That's how I started out. Then the Vibe got totaled, and I just pulled the HID harness from it and re-purposed it.

All you really need though is a relay and a couple of wires. Take the positive wire from the high beam and tap in into the switch side of the relay. Then you'll have a wire from the battery to the input power on the relay. Out goes to a tap on the low beam positive wire.

And you only need to do one side, just drop a fuse between the battery and the relay if you can. 20A should be good.

2004 FWD, Vti, 2.2L
Custom CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SylenThunder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #5
RGRG68

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
That's how I started out. Then the Vibe got totaled, and I just pulled the HID harness from it and re-purposed it.

All you really need though is a relay and a couple of wires. Take the positive wire from the high beam and tap in into the switch side of the relay. Then you'll have a wire from the battery to the input power on the relay. Out goes to a tap on the low beam positive wire.

And you only need to do one side, just drop a fuse between the battery and the relay if you can. 20A should be good.
Okay.. So would battery to 30 prong..85 to ground, positive wire from High Beam to 86, and 85 to chassis ground work? I've checked both bulbs and power runs to both wires of both high and low bulbs until one of them is turned on.. then when on, one bulb wire drops to ground and it comes on. Same with high and low that one wire drops to ground when it comes on. When high comes on the second wire of the low switches back to 12V+ making both wire positive again. This would put power from the high beam to what's always power on the low beam..Is this right? Shouldn't I be trying to get ground to the wire that drops to ground normally when only it is on? If when high beams come on.. the second wire of low goes back to 12v+ I think I need to get it to just stay neg like when it's on.. confused.

Last edited by RGRG68; 04-12-2018 at 09:27 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #6
SylenThunder

2003 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

I always forget, the Vue headlamp system is reversed polarity.

This is why I ended up switching to the harness. The unused relay is still on a shelf in my garage somewhere.

2004 FWD, Vti, 2.2L
Custom CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2018, 07:23 PM   #7
RGRG68

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
I always forget, the Vue headlamp system is reversed polarity.

This is why I ended up switching to the harness. The unused relay is still on a shelf in my garage somewhere.
Maybe I'll just grab another relay.. just wire them up to get a little brighter bulbs without the 4 high..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2018, 10:26 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

High beams aren't enough to illuminate everything that you need low beams too?

I think I have a solution to manually turn on high beams lights while low beams are on (or off) that's based on the flash to pass circuit. The flash to pass momentary switch allowing high beams while low beams are suggests taking advantage of existing wiring and add some additional wiring/parts to allow manually turning on high beams independently of whether or not low beams are on. What I don't know is whether or not this mod will turn on an error code. An error code/engine light would be expected as this isn't a normal feature of lighting systems. And I would imagine if an error code is generated, it should go away when ignition is cycled off and back on during the next drive cycle. Whether an error code is generated remains to be seen if you decide to attempt using my wiring idea.

Using the circuitry provided in the other thread (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234073, post#6), I drew up a wiring diagram using a common 87A relay (or your 40a one if it uses the similar pinouts) and two momentary switches (one normally open/momentary close, the other normally closed/momentary open, and tapping into existing wiring. After considering every scenario to allow safe use to manually switch on and off high beams while using low beams, the circuit will reset back to off position if low and high beams are left on by tapping into switched ignition power. When ignition is switched off, high beams turn off and remain off. Turning on ignition allows switching on high beams independently of low beam lights and allows turning off high beams when not needed. The two momentary switches allows manual control of high beams while the ignition switch resets the circuit if high beams are left on. If you are still interested, familiar with wiring diagrams and wire harnesses pinouts, I'll post a wiring diagram. The two momentary switches will control ground circuits and may not need heavy duty specs but a casual search reveals several types that should work in this setup. I cannot guarantee trouble free operation or if lighting circuits will become strained. This is considered an unusual request but according to existing wiring, additional wiring may not strain the two 15 amp fused light circuits.

I made my calculations in the other thread and believe the extra current to run high and low beams together remains below maximum fused ratings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:19 PM   #9
Bismarck318
Advanced Member
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
High beams aren't enough to illuminate everything that you need low beams too?

I think I have a solution to manually turn on high beams lights while low beams are on (or off) that's based on the flash to pass circuit. The flash to pass momentary switch allowing high beams while low beams ... snip
I mentioned in the other thread, holding this switch midway, I eventually smell something burning, unless the '05's & earlier wiring is different?

I'm trying to think of my prior vehicles always used both low & high together...

My '74 Torino I had about 15 years ago (as a summer driver) had the 4 small round sealed beam light system, however the outside lamps wear dual beams, & the centers were set up on a wig wag system. I wouldn't know where to get a small Dual beam round Sealed beam, luckily they never burned out. This had the Municipal front end for taxi/police service, & was a former fire chief vehicle, with a police package.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bismarck318's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck318 View Post
I mentioned in the other thread, holding this switch midway, I eventually smell something burning, unless the '05's & earlier wiring is different?
And did you read his reply?

The flash-to-pass switch is a momentary type, meant to be used momentarily. My guess is this switch is not designed for continual use as both high beams are drawing several amps thru a small set of electrical contacts not designed to stay closed for more than a few seconds and probably cooked/burned when you held it on for longer time. The smell from inside the car was most likely the stalk switch flash-to-pass contacts cooking.

I created a diagram to bypass the flash-to-pass circuit, describing something more robust with little to zero damage to existing wiring. Its up to the OP to have wiring skills or designate someone with auto electric skills to add additional wiring to allow manual control of high beams with low beams. All considerations are made but as with any design, the risk is to the user.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote