SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
RGRG68
RGRG68 has a spectacular aura aboutRGRG68 has a spectacular aura aboutRGRG68 has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Someone take me into or out of this engine swap.

I meant TALK me into or out of.. Typo.. oops...Currently it's a 2004 2.2 with a 5 speed. I would like to swap engines to either a 2.4 with an auto trans...or a V6 w-auto.. Are either very doable ? One more than another? Reason is when the A/C compressor is on I can see the hamsters straining too hard to get up to speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RGRG68's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RGRG68 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RGRG68 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Someone take me into or out of this engine swap.

My initial guess about difficulties with different engine sizes are if the 2.2L engine wiring is the same for 2.4L or not. It's definitely a requirement to pull almost the entire engine harness from a V6 for a transplant and address whether or not a V6 will mate to a 5-speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #3
RGRG68
RGRG68 has a spectacular aura aboutRGRG68 has a spectacular aura aboutRGRG68 has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
My initial guess about difficulties with different engine sizes are if the 2.2L engine wiring is the same for 2.4L or not. It's definitely a requirement to pull almost the entire engine harness from a V6 for a transplant and address whether or not a V6 will mate to a 5-speed.
I don't know if the 2.4 harness is the same or not. Also, I would not trying to attach either of these engines to my 5 speed manual.. It would be an entire engine/transmission swap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RGRG68 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm not familiar with engine swaps so I'll leave that to others. If your engine strains with ac, is it due to a tired engine (mileage?) or possibly clogged catalytic converter?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

IMHO - Find another Vue that has the V6 auto in it. This would be your cheaper option..

If everything is intact in your 2.2 manual, this might be a good donor for someone that has a 2.2 VTI and wants to do a swap.

Doing the swap - If you go from a 2.2 manual to a automatic V6, You will need everything on the engine cradle, (engine, tranny, driveshafts), You need the engine harness and the inside harness, You need the ECM and BCM from the donor, You will also need the gear shift assembly and shift cables. And the instrument panel..

I'm not sure about going from a 2.2 to a 2.4.. They should be directly interchangeable, but I would think there might be an issue with ECM programming, particularly mixture control, maybe not...

As for the AC unit. On mine, when I put the throttle on the floor, it cuts the A/C compressor off. Supposedly this gives me full power..

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:34 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

waiter21, you are correct about full throttle disabling ac operation. This applies to all vehicles since sensors tell the EFI system what's going on. Service manuals describe this since anyone needing full power doesn't need ac so this action temporarily disables compressor power until throttle is backed off when ac resumes. The one sensor the EFI system will most likely use for determining when to temporarily disable ac power would be the throttle position sensor. The map sensor may also be contributing, low vacuum during wide open throttle acceleration.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #7
RGRG68

2004 VUE 2.2L

About the current engine/trany...
New clutch kit about 5k ago.
Engine has new cat, timing chain..
All four cylinders had about 140 psi within a few psi each..
So not sure why it's such a dog with ac on. But..with it off it's pretty zippy.
Sin ce the cat was clogged and needed replacing.. I'm wondering it debris was pushed into the muffler. The muffler is starting to look rough.. thought about replacing it but I don't want 1. a muffler that doesn't fill the space it currently does and 2. a muffler so small it doesn't work well. If I could Y it off with two smaller mufflers that may work. Not sure what others use when replacing the stock muffler.
Forgot to mention.. it's using about 1 quart every 1200 miles.. can't find a leak and have never seen smoke. The old cat didn't appear clogged with burnt oil either.
Maybe all i really need is to buy another 2.2 and freshen it up then swap.

Last edited by RGRG68; 07-12-2018 at 09:56 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #8
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

It sounds like it should be in good shape, timing chain and clutch. Maybe do a compression check and see where its at before doing anything else...

I've been driving 4 banger all my life. The Vue doesn't seem like its under-powered. The only thing I notice when I put it to the floor is the A/C starts blowing warm air..

Are you selecting gears properly??

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

RGRG68, GM has leaned away from publishing compression values for a go/no go determination of a worn engine. If you read the attached file, 100 psi is not exactly a reference. Presuming compression numbers for new engines are somewhere above 180 psi (members with 2.2L engines can verify this), having a ceiling value can help determine the difference between a tired engine (low compression) and one that's still performing to like new specs. Another factor affecting seat of the pants detection of low engine power when using ac may be diy ac service. Anyone attempting diy ac repairs with refill kits can overfill a system with too much refrigerant. Too much loads a compressor by forcing more gas into a confined space that holds a set amount of refrigerant. Once a volume is filled with refrigerant, more refrigerant has no place to go and backs up where it came from, the compressor. A compressor will continue to run but work harder. The harder working compressor takes more engine power to run, engine power normally reserved for moving the car forward.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Engine Compression Test.pdf (96.0 KB, 3 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2018, 11:18 AM   #10
RGRG68

2004 VUE 2.2L

I posted earlier I have 140 psi (no more than 4 psi difference between, with the highest 143 lowest 139) As for the AC It's just below the full mark when I tested it after this came to my attention.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!