SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
tallman54
tallman54 has a spectacular aura abouttallman54 has a spectacular aura about

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Head on collision at lo speed

While pulling into the driveway, another car that was pulling away from the curb, hit our '00 L series Saturn head on. Because neither car was moving very fast, it appeared that very little damage happened to either car (minor bumper damage). But, after the accident we detected a clunking sound coming from some where around the front end of the car.
This morning I pulled the car up on ramps and took a quick glance underneath.
I noticed there is a bar that runs parallel, (up and down) to the passenger side strut that appears to have broken off at the bottom end. I saw some type of white plastic (bushing ?) where the tip of the rod fastens at a right angle to another section of the front end. It just hangs loose now. I couldn't see where it attaches at the top area of the strut. Obviously I need to get it up on a lift to get a better view of whats doing there. In the mean time could anyone tell me what this part is, what it does and is it safe to drive until the repair work can be done ?
Also, I'm not looking to make any big claim for damages but if it was snapped off due to the accident, then of course I want to have the repair done and covered by the insurance. So, question #2 is: Is this a part that could have been broke/snapped in a low speed (5/10 mph) head on ? I don't wanna be an idiot about this or come across as one whos trying to pad the damages/bill so this is why I ask.
Just looking for an opinion here ... likely/unlikely. Thanks !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tallman54's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tallman54 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tallman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
hoseppi
Advanced Member
hoseppi will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Head on collision at lo speed

Sounds like the sway bar linkage. Does it look rusted? I doubt the collision would have caused it to seperate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoseppi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoseppi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Frostman
Frostman will become famous soon enoughFrostman will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
1993 SL1

+2 on stabilizer bar end link. It's a cheap part and imho easy to install. If it were me, I don't think I would go through the bother of doing an insurance claim on it. The part is only 15 bucks + shipping at rock auto. Jack up the car take off the wheel pull the old bolts out (two of them) and put it back together in reverse order. Maybe a 20-30 minute job if you are comfortable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Frostman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Frostman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Frostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
Jonnyferrari
Jonnyferrari is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Sway bar link for sure, it is the only thing that runs parallel to the strut. Mine are loose and if it got hit hard enough I can imagine it getting snapped off. Haven't replaced mine yet, but I think I should. If someone could kindly post a tutorial or some directions on the process, I am sure we would appreciate it! P.S, post a picture and we can help you further..

http://www.am-autoimages.com/partima...18262/main.JPG

[Sold] 2000 Saturn LS2 premium package; 120k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonnyferrari's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonnyferrari reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonnyferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
tallman54
tallman54 has a spectacular aura abouttallman54 has a spectacular aura about

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Wow, thanks for the quick replies ! The car isn't here now, my son takes it to work - its why I only had a few minutes to take a look at things + it was before sun up. I don't have a way to post a pic either but looking at the part in Jonnys post, it could be it. I've never seen a set up like this before, maybe particular to Saturns ? Anyhow, yeah, if its only 15. for the part and 2 bolts, it hardly seems worth arguing as to whether it was caused by the accident or not.
Your responses are a big help, thanks again ...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tallman54's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tallman54 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tallman54 is offline   Reply With Quote