SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
ace_cobra
ace_cobra has a spectacular aura aboutace_cobra has a spectacular aura aboutace_cobra has a spectacular aura about

Default Astra Timing marks

Hello all,
New to the forum, and new to Astra's. I just changed the timing belt on mine, followed Astra La Vistas post, used a homemade cam tool and locked the flywheel at #1 TDC. The car has a clatter at 1800-2100 RPM, and I am trying to diagnose it. I am waiting on a new solenoid to swap out, but my question is about the camshaft timing marks. When I got everything lined up my 2 camshaft dimples were perfectly in line with each other, not off at all. Is this technically wrong? Everything I have seen seems to have them skewed a bit. I have a P0017 which leads me to believe this isnt right. I ran the engine for a half hour, and checked the timing again, and with it at 1 TDC the marks are still bang on across from each other. Advise?
Thanks in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ace_cobra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ace_cobra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ace_cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Astra Timing marks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_cobra View Post
The car has a clatter at 1800-2100 RPM
Why did you change the belt? It was time per the schedule or there was a problem?
Did it clatter before?

Clatter is under load or just high idle?

Have you used a section of heater hose as a stethoscope to "listen" your way around the engine bay to try to locate the noise?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
ace_cobra
ace_cobra has a spectacular aura aboutace_cobra has a spectacular aura aboutace_cobra has a spectacular aura about

I changed the belt because it was due. The previous owner had never changed it at 180,000km. The noise happens under load and no load. As of tonight I swapped solenoids and the original exhaust solenoid in the intake's place and a new solenoid in the exhausts place seems to have made it happier. I am still getting P0017, so I still am wondering about those timing marks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ace_cobra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-02-2017, 12:02 AM   #4
FieroAlex
FieroAlex is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

My timing marks were also slightly off as per the how to in these forums

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FieroAlex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FieroAlex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FieroAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:58 AM   #5
ace_cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post

Have you used a section of heater hose as a stethoscope to "listen" your way around the engine bay to try to locate the noise?
Yes I used a screwdriver. It is definately coming from the cam sprocket area. I just can't decipher which one it is. Is is quieter now with a new solenoid but I am still getting P0017. Has anyone done their timing belt and ended up with the marks straight aligned like mine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2017, 07:54 PM   #6
bern
Advanced Member
bern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of light

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

It looks like their is 16 belt teeth between each tooth that is just above the top rivet.
You can also remove the Cam cover and align the groves in the back end of the camshafts while engine is at TDC.

Remove the plug under the AC compressor to align TDC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:13 AM   #7
ace_cobra

I will have a look at that when I get home. I reinstalled my timing belt with a better homemade cam lock tool and it went much smoother, plus I have an offset on the dimples now. I will check and see how many teeth are on the belt from top-top

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #8
Astra08
Astra08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I'd be curious to see if this fixes it for you. The camshaft phaser might also need replacing if it does not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #9
ace_cobra

I took the belt back off, turns out the tensioner was bad, replaced and the noise went away. So if you have the clacking noise issue, replace the tensioner. Mine was new, and was bad out of the box

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-20-2017, 11:46 AM   #10
goob
goob is on a distinguished road

Ace,

Did your P0017 code go away? If so what was the issue?

G

08 Salsa Red Astra XR 5dr 5spd
Spt Pkg, Prem. Aud. and Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goob is offline   Reply With Quote