SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2015, 09:21 PM   #1
Turbobluwrx
Turbobluwrx has a spectacular aura aboutTurbobluwrx has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XE
Dizzy Large Pot hole and now I'm missing a Cylinder

So I leaving work today and was crossing a set of Railroad tracks and I apparently hit a very large pothole that was part of the tracks (inner city street level tracks). After the large abrupt Bang (15 mph), i finished my turn and started to accelerate.

All of a sudden i felt as though I was down on power and then my CEL came on. I was sitting at the light waiting to pull in to a parking lot to check it out and every time i hit the gas (manual trans) it sounded like it was sputtering (missing/fuel something). After pulling over it sounded a little rough and definitely had a rough/sputter to it when pressing gas. Seemed to smooth out a bit over 3k but that could have been my ears....

I pulled into the pep-boys in the next parking lot and had them read the codes.

p0300 - Engine misfire detected
P0301 - Cylinder 1 misfire
P0313 - Misfire detected with low fuel level (i had about 35 miles to empty)

I limped her home (drove 15 minutes mostly highway up to 70, ran fine just rougher, stop signs were where is felt underpowered)

So after doing a little research (mainly on here) I found that the plugs need to be changed every 25k, i did not know this. I have 83k on it so i already ordered some plugs and an OBD2 scanner (been wanting one). I see some people have coil issues, I've found some AC Delco's on amazon for around 100 (lucky). I'm holding off till i change the plugs before i order it. Tomorrow I'm going to unplug battery and do hard reset and see if it resets anything. Then change plugs regardless. plus i have already put more gas in it since i was low.

My question is......It just seems odd that the cause was a large pothole. If its not the plugs or coil, what could it be??? Like i said, i need to do plugs regardless but i would like some ideas before i start dropping money into it for no reason. Also is there a sticky for Plug replacement and coil replacement?

Turbobluwrx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Turbobluwrx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Turbobluwrx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Turbobluwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2015, 09:43 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Large Pot hole and now I'm missing a Cylinder

I always try to clean the area around plugs- to be removed- beforehand.

This negates risk of contaminants getting into the cylinders.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:41 AM   #3
dcjredline
dcjredline has a spectacular aura aboutdcjredline has a spectacular aura aboutdcjredline has a spectacular aura about

"P0313 - Misfire detected with low fuel level (i had about 35 miles to empty)"

I would assume that the low fuel meant in the cylinder that is misfiring. It should have nothing to do with what is in your fuel tank.

P03XX is usually a cylinder thing ie: P0301 usually means cylinder 1, P0302 is Cyl 2, etc.

From your list of codes I would start with the plug for the injector on cylinder 1, make sure it didnt jar loose. Then test the resistance on that injector (may have jarred the coil loose inside). You may end up replacing that injector.

I obviously dont know for sure what the problem is but from those codes I would guess the fuel delivery for cylinder 1.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcjredline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcjredline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcjredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #4
Turbobluwrx
Turbobluwrx has a spectacular aura aboutTurbobluwrx has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post

I would assume that the low fuel meant in the cylinder that is misfiring. It should have nothing to do with what is in your fuel tank.

P03XX is usually a cylinder thing ie: P0301 usually means cylinder 1, P0302 is Cyl 2, etc.

From your list of codes I would start with the plug for the injector on cylinder 1, make sure it didnt jar loose. Then test the resistance on that injector (may have jarred the coil loose inside). You may end up replacing that injector.

I obviously dont know for sure what the problem is but from those codes I would guess the fuel delivery for cylinder 1.
Check the resistance in the injector. What should it be first off and how do I go about it. I haven't messed with this car very much so Don't have much experience with injectors on this car.

Any guidance would be appreciative.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Turbobluwrx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2015, 08:41 AM   #5
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbobluwrx View Post

Any guidance would be appreciative.
First, stick with your plug change plan.

Save the plugs and note where removed from for later troubleshooting to identify possible issues.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
Turbobluwrx

2008 Astra XE

Will do. I ordered 4 plugs and a odb2 scanner that will be here his evening. It's supposed to rain so I probably won't mess with it till tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #7
goob
goob is on a distinguished road

If you do end up needing a new coil, here is a link from another thread for a coil for $58 off ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ACDelco-...4857ed&vxp=mtr

08 Salsa Red Astra XR 5dr 5spd
Spt Pkg, Prem. Aud. and Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #8
Turbobluwrx

2008 Astra XE

Awesome. Definitely following that. One. I guess my concern would be since it happened after a large jolt. What could it be other than the plugs and coil. Which I've noticed are the biggest problems. I'll clear the codes tonight and see what new codes come back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #9
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

It's probably the plugs, if they are original, but they could have taken the coil with them. It's an easy job to change the plugs, and put the original coil back on, and then swap the coil when you get it. The coil change is a 2-3 minute job (remove the plastic piece in the engine cover, 2 torx bolts and 1 electrical connnector). The plugs take a bit longer, but still only 10-15 minutes. Hopefully they aren't too hard to get out after all this time.

The OEM plugs are like $2 each, and any local auto parts place will have them.

I replaced my coil at like 75,000 miles with a cheap one off ebay (before it went bad), and just kept the old one as a spare in the garage. so that's an option if your coil is fine.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:37 PM   #10
Turbobluwrx

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by emg77 View Post
It's probably the plugs, if they are original, but they could have taken the coil with them. It's an easy job to change the plugs, and put the original coil back on, and then swap the coil when you get it. The coil change is a 2-3 minute job (remove the plastic piece in the engine cover, 2 torx bolts and 1 electrical connnector). The plugs take a bit longer, but still only 10-15 minutes. Hopefully they aren't too hard to get out after all this time.

The OEM plugs are like $2 each, and any local auto parts place will have them.

I replaced my coil at like 75,000 miles with a cheap one off ebay (before it went bad), and just kept the old one as a spare in the garage. so that's an option if your coil is fine.
So i changed the plugs, they look to be original, definitely worn. I guess they could have been swapped when i had the dealership do the cam solenoid back around 45k, (the plugs had GM written on the side so i know i didn't do it). Plugged up the obd2 scanner ad cleared everything out. Unhooked the battery for a bit (tapped the brakes a couple times). Started her up and she has the same problem, so maybe the coil is to blame. So i ordered that one off eBay someone mentioned earlier (AC Delco for $57), looks like it'll get here sometime next week hopefully. Hopefully that will fix it. If if's not those two things what it could be. That's my fear i guess.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

For whatever reason, Astra's seem to be plagued with cam actuator and coil pack failures. This appears to be common enough with replacement restoring reliability. My guess is the hard jolt damaged the coil pack. Misfiring can be from plugs, coil pack, wiring, bad fuel or worn engine. Unless fuel was adulterated and a sudden string of vehicles are reported to have serious engine problems right after fueling up from the same station you buy fuel from its not likely a fuel issue. You can examine ignition wiring to the coil pack for chafing and a compression test to rule out a worn engine.

When a new coil pack arrives, remove the original one for examination.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:29 AM   #12
dcjredline
dcjredline has a spectacular aura aboutdcjredline has a spectacular aura aboutdcjredline has a spectacular aura about

I will just copy and paste my post from before. I know I'm just a noob, looks like no one considered what I said. Just because I am new here doesnt mean I am new to cars, troubleshooting. The "low fuel level" makes me think that cylinder isnt getting FUEL and IS getting spark.

OP: I dont know what the specs are for the Astra injectors and cant help you much other than to say I would bet it has something to do with the injector circuit on #1 injector. Circuit = Injector itself, the connector for the injector, o-rings on injector, wires going to the injector.

Quote:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dcjredline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #13
Turbobluwrx

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
I will just copy and paste my post from before. I know I'm just a noob, looks like no one considered what I said. Just because I am new here doesnt mean I am new to cars, troubleshooting. The "low fuel level" makes me think that cylinder isnt getting FUEL and IS getting spark.

OP: I dont know what the specs are for the Astra injectors and cant help you much other than to say I would bet it has something to do with the injector circuit on #1 injector. Circuit = Injector itself, the connector for the injector, o-rings on injector, wires going to the injector.
I thought about what you posted and I hope it is not the case. But after clearing the codes and changing plugs and running the car for a bit the only code I'm getting is the misfire code. No longer getting he low fuel misfire code. Don't know if the fuel got interrupted during he jolt but it seems hat code hasn't come back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #14
dcjredline

Ok, still misfiring and did all the plugs, wires, coil. You need fuel still and maybe that code wont come back. Doesnt mean its not the injector circuit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #15
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Ok, still misfiring and did all the plugs, wires, coil. You need fuel still and maybe that code wont come back. Doesnt mean its not the injector circuit.
He hasn't replaced the coil pack yet, probably still waiting for it to arrive so he can install it. Almost everything he has said points to a bad/broken coil pack since the car is now getting the right amount of fuel. There is no wire on our coil pack since it is a solid piece, all 4 are integrated into a piece which is why they are so darn expensive.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:49 PM   #16
Turbobluwrx

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
As the person stated below you. I'm still waiting on the coil. Hopefully will be here today but at latest I hope tomorrow. If it doesn't fix it my next solution will probably be to start looking at fuel delivery. I'm a little lost on this car when it comes to that. I did the cam sensor stuff a while back but haven't messed with fuel. I appreciate the alternative view. At least gives me a direction in case the coil doesn't fix the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #17
dcjredline

Yeah I missed where you said that the first time.

Be careful, dont just throw parts at it, test things. Im pretty sure the coil could have been tested. I would test things (even though I would have to find out what measurements I was looking for myself) before I started throwing parts at it.

Do a visual check of the injector plugs, see if one is loose. Etc

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2015, 11:35 PM   #18
Turbobluwrx

2008 Astra XE
Checkered Flag Re: Large Pot hole and now I'm missing a Cylinder

Quote:
Yeah I missed where you said that the first time.

Be careful, dont just throw parts at it, test things. Im pretty sure the coil could have been tested. I would test things (even though I would have to find out what measurements I was looking for myself) before I started throwing parts at it.

Do a visual check of the injector plugs, see if one is loose. Etc
Just an update. The coil came in. Threw it on the car in about -5 minutes lol. Started her up and she purred like a kitten. Ran my obd2 scanner and cleared the pending codes. Let her burn off some of the excess gas buildup from when she was misfiring. Then took her for a quick maint run through the neighborhood. She ran great, better than before but that's probably due to new coil pack and spark plugs that don't have 84k miles on them. I wonder if my mpg will go back up(used to be over 32 but now won't get over 28).
Thanks for everyone's help. Future reference I got the coil off eBay for like 51 bucks(car parts were 10%off from eBay normally 57). AC Delco and brand new so. Great deal

Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2015, 12:39 AM   #19
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

I'm almost surprised the original coil lasted 84k miles, mine lasted just over 65k before I got a misfire when I hit a bump. Stopped at the stealership and bought a brand new one right before I was about to do a 4k km road trip.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:15 AM   #20
dcjredline

Which engine does the Astra have in it? Im only getting 28 on my 84k mile Ion with 2.2 Wonder if some new plugs and coil would help it. If a coil is only $50 ish

REWARD EXCELLENCE!