SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2009, 07:56 PM   #21
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Fuel Filler Neck/Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leith1812 View Post
Layoira, I had a similar problem. I was smelling a bit of gas vapor and every 4000-5000km (at 36,000km) the check engine light would pop on and OnStar would diagnose it as the fuel cap. Saturn checked and they concluded there was a small leak in the Evap Canister and replaced it.
My problem never did resurface. Im not sure what it was to be honest. I have a later build astra after the fuel filler correction (may 08), so that wasnt it I dont think, and I didnt get a check engine or anything like that. I never did find the problem, could have been temporary whatever it was. If it happens again I'll ask about it. Ive kept it in the back of my head to keep an eye or nose lol out for it anyways, but im pretty receptive to sounds and smells so I doubt I'll miss it if it happens again. Thanks for posting your problem tho!

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Layoira's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #22
goob
goob is on a distinguished road

My check engine light is on/off for the last couple of weeks. I believe it's this fuel cap/fuel filler issue.
I can retighten the cap and sometimes the light will go out, but then it will come back on later on.
It's almost seems to be temperature related. When its cold, it's more likely for the light to come on.
I know there is a TSB on this issue, my question is, am I still covered for this even after my warranty is over? I called the dealer to make an appt. to get it checked out and he quoted me $120 just to diagnose the issue.

08 Salsa Red Astra XR 5dr 5spd
Spt Pkg, Prem. Aud. and Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #23
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by goob View Post
My check engine light is on/off for the last couple of weeks. I believe it's this fuel cap/fuel filler issue.
I can retighten the cap and sometimes the light will go out, but then it will come back on later on.
It's almost seems to be temperature related. When its cold, it's more likely for the light to come on.
I know there is a TSB on this issue, my question is, am I still covered for this even after my warranty is over? I called the dealer to make an appt. to get it checked out and he quoted me $120 just to diagnose the issue.
Go online or to a local auto store and pick up a cheap bluetooth OBDII reader you can use with your smartphone. Once you have the code you will have a better idea what you are actually dealing with and may find help here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn4Ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn4Ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #24
PaulR
PaulR will become famous soon enough

I replaced my gas cap on my XE with the newer "with the disc and hang on the door" style. Would this make the CEL light come on, showing the generic code P0498?

The CEL came on right after I did this along with a faint smell of gas. I reinstalled the original one but the light has yet to go off. Will possibly driving the car make the CEL go back off? Any suggestions?

PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 CEL Special Edition, 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #25
goob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn4Ever View Post
Go online or to a local auto store and pick up a cheap bluetooth OBDII reader you can use with your smartphone. Once you have the code you will have a better idea what you are actually dealing with and may find help here.

Thanks for the idea.
I went to Autozone to get the code. P1101.
The light went out the next day and has been off for 3 days now.
So my initial guess was wrong. I cancelled by apt and will wait to see if it comes on again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2014, 12:06 AM   #26
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

That code would be the MAF sensor out of range due to dirty filter or a Pod filter

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:56 PM   #27
PaulR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn4Ever View Post
This may sound like a silly question but... Will a cheap Bluetooth reader, as in the ELM327 V1.5 OBDII OBD2 CAN-BUS Auto Car Diagnostic Scanner do the job on Saturn Astra? I guess that there is an app that goes along with it (one is free or, I can pay for a better one) that will go on my Adroid Moto G smart phone. I am looking at the diagnostic scanners that are around 8 dollars. Please let me know, since this would be a good investment for a vehicle that I drive that shows a new code every five months.

PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PaulR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #28
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
This may sound like a silly question but... Will a cheap Bluetooth reader, as in the ELM327 V1.5 OBDII OBD2 CAN-BUS Auto Car Diagnostic Scanner do the job on Saturn Astra? I guess that there is an app that goes along with it (one is free or, I can pay for a better one) that will go on my Adroid Moto G smart phone. I am looking at the diagnostic scanners that are around 8 dollars. Please let me know, since this would be a good investment for a vehicle that I drive that shows a new code every five months.

It worked for me, yes. There are a variety of free apps in the app store to choose from that will work with the bluetooth scanners. The one I use on my S5 is OBD Car Doctor. Handy to have so even if you need to take the car into get repairs you have some idea what is wrong so you don't get shafted.

I use it on my wife's car as well (Saturn Outlook). From the diagnostic code and some quick Internet searching I learned the fix was a simple part replacement I could DIY.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn4Ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn4Ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #29
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

I had the P1101 error, and cleaning and replacing the MAF didn't clear it, it would always come back every 2-3 weeks. What ended up resolving mine was cleaning the throttle body. It was easy enough to do. I just cleaned it with throttle body cleaner and a microfiber towel. It wasn't really that dirty, but I haven't had the code reappear in the 6 months since I cleaned it.

And yes, the OBD bluetooth reader with the Torque app is great. It's paid for itself many times over. I leave mine plugged in my car all the time. I have the BAFX Products one from Amazon (around $24). It's been powered and working non-stop for over a year in my Astra. I think Torque only works with Android.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:29 PM   #30
PaulR

Quote:
Originally Posted by emg77 View Post
I had the P1101 error, and cleaning and replacing the MAF didn't clear it, it would always come back every 2-3 weeks. What ended up resolving mine was cleaning the throttle body. It was easy enough to do. I just cleaned it with throttle body cleaner and a microfiber towel. It wasn't really that dirty, but I haven't had the code reappear in the 6 months since I cleaned it.

And yes, the OBD bluetooth reader with the Torque app is great. It's paid for itself many times over. I leave mine plugged in my car all the time. I have the BAFX Products one from Amazon (around $24). It's been powered and working non-stop for over a year in my Astra. I think Torque only works with Android.
Thanks emg77 and Saturn4Ever. You have given me some good options. I will look into the BAFX Products version even if it the price is more. The Torque app is only around $5. I will let you know how it turns out.

PaulR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2015, 05:01 PM   #31
goob

Update:

I had check engine P1101 code:
I cleaned my MAF sensor with CRC MAF Cleaner and the throttle body with some gumout about two weeks ago and the Check Engine light has not come back on.
I also threw in a bottle of Techron Fuel System cleaner into the fuel tank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goob's Reputation
Old 01-16-2015, 11:45 PM   #32
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by goob View Post
Update:

I had check engine P1101 code:
I cleaned my MAF sensor with CRC MAF Cleaner and the throttle body with some gumout about two weeks ago and the Check Engine light has not come back on.
I also threw in a bottle of Techron Fuel System cleaner into the fuel tank.
Did you have a scanner to clear the code? Or did it reset and clear by it's self?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #33
goob

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwalker View Post
Did you have a scanner to clear the code? Or did it reset and clear by it's self?
The Check Engine Light went away by itself after I cleaned the MAF and throttle body.
Tonight, I hooked up a scanner and the code was stored. I cleared it and the code didn't come back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goob's Reputation