SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 05:27 AM   #1
Bigbadbert
Bigbadbert is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes Stripped bolt head

Ok me and a buddy of mine were trying to get off my water pump pulley, and one of the bolt heads decided to strip for some reason. The other two came off no sweat. Is there a good way to get this thing off, and get it back on tight? Id appreciate any help.

'01 SC2 - sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigbadbert's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigbadbert reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2004, 05:55 AM   #2
Bigbadbert

Ok I cant edit it but it should say that we rounded off the head rather than stripped it.

'01 SC2 - sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bigbadbert reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2004, 06:39 AM   #3
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Robo-grips, or a strap wrench maybe?

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2004, 07:44 AM   #4
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line

a few options Bert...try vice grips first of course...the bolt for the water pump shouldn't be torqued too tight. You can take a dremel drill and grind each side of the bolt head down to create a longer parallel flat than was on the hex before...creating more of rectangular bolt head with two long flat parallel sides. Then turn down a large crescent wrench and put it over the rectangular bolt head and loosen. Worse case you can cut off the head of the bolt with a dremmel cut off wheel or hack saw, remove the water pump and then take a pair of vice grips and unscrew the now unloaded shank of the old bolt.
HTH,
George

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2004, 08:39 AM   #5
mars_volta
Advanced Member
mars_volta is on a distinguished road

Yep, dremel to the rescue!

MV

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mars_volta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mars_volta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2004, 09:04 AM   #6
planet6racing
planet6racing is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1992 SL2

Sears Craftsmen Bolt Extractor. Hands down the best bolt extractor I have ever used. When used correctly, it will remove it no matter what the head condition is.

-------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
SCCA ITA #92

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to planet6racing's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help planet6racing reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2004, 03:41 PM   #7
JayNYC
JayNYC is on a distinguished road

Bolt extractors work well (sears tool that you will probably use twice) I have experience that involves a long story involving a battery LOL. I wouldn't plan on putting the bolt back on though. A new bolt shouldbt be too expensive ( under $1.25)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JayNYC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JayNYC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2004, 10:54 PM   #8
Bigbadbert

Ok, will that bolt extractor work in that SMALL area? Theres very little space at all between the frame and the bolts. If you have to use a ratchet, its too big to fit up in there, unless Im completely missing something. I might just go with the dremel and purchase the extractor anyways. Im always playing with my car, so Ill probably need it again. Thanks for the ideas.

'01 SC2 - sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2004, 11:37 PM   #9
ym42
Advanced Member
ym42 is on a distinguished road

As far as I remember you can take the whole water pump with the pulley off the car, and then work with it at home, or your garage. Those bolts were very hard to work with, I remember still. I used LARGE vice!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ym42's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ym42 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2004, 12:43 AM   #10
MaxSL2
Advanced Member
MaxSL2 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

The bolt extractor is a socket. If you can't pull the pump off the car first, possibly some needle-nosed vise grips (the cheap brand ones slip off too easily for this purpose) locked very tightly on the remaning head might work, just use the alternating loosen -then-tighten method to help get it to turn.

Soaking it good with a little PB Blaster might make it want to break loose a little easier also.

Last edited by MaxSL2; 05-22-2004 at 12:53 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MaxSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MaxSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2004, 03:54 AM   #11
Bigbadbert

I bought of some of that tonight. I will probably let that soak on there while Im working on the stupid crank pulley. Man those things are on there.....thanks for the tips guys!

'01 SC2 - sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread