SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
tropic00vr6
tropic00vr6 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default Head bolt kit?

Hey all. My '95 SL2 twin cam won't pass emissions because of the amount of oil consumption. So I am doing a top end rebuild to see if that helps. I've got the gasket kit, but can't find new head bolts anywhere. Anyone know somewhere other than a GM dealer that has a set to buy? thanks. -Ian-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tropic00vr6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tropic00vr6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tropic00vr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
signal7
signal7 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
1999 SL
Default Re: Head bolt kit?

I got a set at Advance Auto for about $25 for a 99 SL (SOHC). They even had them in stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to signal7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help signal7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
signal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
tropic00vr6

1995 SL2

awesome, thanks. have to swing buy there tonight and see if they have them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tropic00vr6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
johnny95sl2
johnny95sl2 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1995 SC2

If you are burning that much oil you need to replace the rings. Rebuilding the head isn't really going to help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnny95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnny95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnny95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
tropic00vr6

1995 SL2

well everyone I've talked to says the rings are usually always in good shape when they take these engines apart when burning that much oil, and that the valve seals are usually the problem. plus this is sort of a last resort type of thing. I dont want to pull the engine for a full rebuild. Its not worth it to me for that, seeing as how its just a winter beater.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropic00vr6 View Post
well everyone I've talked to says the rings are usually always in good shape when they take these engines apart when burning that much oil, and that the valve seals are usually the problem. plus this is sort of a last resort type of thing. I dont want to pull the engine for a full rebuild. Its not worth it to me for that, seeing as how its just a winter beater.
Well, if you do want to pull the motor for a re ring then just sell the car now, do nothing more. Read up on oil burning here. There are no oil drain back holes in the Saturn pistons. This leads to very badly carbonized and stuck oil control rings and excess oil consumption. It is a very well known Saturn S series issue!

Edit: Seriously, the oil consumption and piston ring sticking is VERY well known.
This forum has the best Saturn experts out there. They know of what they speak!

2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

+1^^^the above.

And, you can buy the head bolt set from RockAuto or AutoZone, NAPA, or Advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
tropic00vr6

1995 SL2

Thank you all for the information. I bought this car a year ago for a DD, and have been wanting to fix the oil consumption problem, but no one could ever tell me what you just did. they always say, either, "oh, its just a saturn thing", or "either your cylinders are rounding out, or your valve seals are bad." Never knew of the pistons haveing no oil return holes. So thanks for the very helpful info. I've already purchased the top end rebuild kit, so I guess now i have to ask if i can purchase the bottom rebuild kit from one of those stores listed above, or if I'd have to get those off line, and if so, where, cause i cant find the bottom rebuild kit.

Did some thinking after driving in a little snow/ice today, and I suppose its worth the rebuild just so i can store my truck for the winter. Plus the saturn runs like a champ. Just wont pass emissions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

There is no actual lower end rebuild kit. Federal Mogul Sealed power pistons and rings will fit and have the oil drain holes. Any decent parts store can quote prices. There is a gotcha out there though. There are errors in the Sealed Power catalog and you can end up with pistons with a 1.5mm top ring grove and a 1.2mm top ring set. You have to read the actual specifications for the rings and pistons, they are in the catalog. You want to deal with a local rebuilder who knows what they are doing, it will save money. The complete gasket set is expensive.

The head should be dissembled, valves ground, lifters dissembled and cleaned. You also have to adjust the valve stem projection after grinding. Its not just seals.

Crank measured for wear and thrust surface wear checked.

All aluminum parts hot tanked.

Cylinders measured for taper, out of round and wear. Bore as required.

What you get out of of this is a 300,000 mile+ motor that does not burn oil and is paid for.

The minimalist approach will cost about 75% of the full overhaul and stay together for maybe 100,000 miles.

Pays your money and takes your choice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

Can you give us specifics on the emission test?
The reason I ask is there are some very simple, inexpensive repairs that are overlooked by 90% of mechanics! One of the biggest tell tale signs is the temperature gauge. Where does yours read when the car if fully warmed up?
If you could let us know this and the emission test readings, we MIGHT be able to save a rebuild.

Edit: there are some very good recent threads on rebuilding a Saturn, read
through this thread, Old Nuc guides Cboss through a rebuild with some great information.

2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

Last edited by mattelderca; 12-09-2009 at 07:29 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
tropic00vr6

1995 SL2

As far as the test, I pass with flying colours on two of the three categories. I failed miserably on the hydrocarbon levels. producing more than double the allowed limit. (0.80 being the most allowed, and my car putting down 1.85). I have replaced the catalytic converter, flex pipe, muffler, full tune up, pulled the throttle body off and cleaned completely, as well as as much of the intake manifold that i could reach without taking if off.

As far as where the temp. guage is when fully warmed up, depends on the temp. outside. winter time, it never passes a quarter of the way between cold and normal. In the summer, if i idle too long, it will begin to over heat. Would my ECTS make me fail emissions? Cause I'm pretty sure thats the reason behind the overheating part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
johnny95sl2
johnny95sl2 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1995 SC2

Replace your thermostat with a 195 degree one and replace your ECTS and connector. My 95 runs right at 1/2 on the guage on the highway and it wasn't over 25 degreees today.

Part of the problem is your car is never properly heating up to full operating temp.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnny95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnny95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnny95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote